Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @Vesku, bad peace of advise... mo7ies can always use camera itself to record the settings as he navigates through them using a few mirrors (or only one mirror with LCD point forward)... :) Just kidding a little.. I would use a phone or digital camera to take pictures of all menus.

• The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4: The Unofficial Quintessential Guide book

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4: The Unofficial Quintessential Guide allows readers to understand all of the features and capabilities of the GH4.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GH4-Unofficial-Quintessential/dp/193753863X/

• Here is a little piece shot on the GH4 with the 25mm Voightlander, and a couple of other random lenses.

cineD -2/-3/-2/-3/+1 H/S 0/+2

• I like shooting high shutter speeds when shooting fast action 4K videos to get 8+ mp stills.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8873/17984239958_d28b410583_o.png

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8864/17911708698_ed161cb334_o.png

• @joe1946 Stills look decent. What shutter speed were you using?

• Hi all, im enjoying my GH4, i saw some feed back on the net of people saying 'its not a low light camera'....i think it's good in low light, not sure if they are shooting in CineLike-V and expecting clean images in low light...maybe. anyway, ive been testing out my Samyang 10mm f2.8 and wile filming i thought of filming a ISO ramp test and just stick it out there on youtube. Shot in Cinema 4k, Cinelike-D, straight off the memory card with NO post processing. (Samyang montage coming soon)

stu.

• @stucameraman1 Any chance to download the original video file?

• StuCameraMan, It depends on your definition of "low light" Compared to cameras of 10-15 years ago the GH4 would made the list and maybe even the top of it. Mine is good up to about ISO 1600. My D5300 with almost twice the size of Sensor can shoot comparable images at twice the ISO in poor light. Some of the new Super 35 VideoCams can go a little higher. The FullFrame A7s can go much much higher and you can make your Video above look like daylight if you want it to.

I am actually very impressed with what you did as I have not had such good results in low light with the GH4. Perhaps the difference is the Samyang with it's much bigger glass than my Lumix zoom lens (that work so well in daylight)?

• Well, it is not alternative :-)

• I have created an ACES IDT for the Panasonic GH4 by profiling its luma response.

See the effects of exposure compensation in ACES on GH4 footage:

The GH4 is showing good exposure latitude. The useable exposure range is from about two stops underexposed to 2/3 of a stop overexposed.

A plot of the luma response curve is attached.

Panasonic GH4 Standard 16-255 luma response.png
    710 x 545 - 9K
  • @chef

Noamkroll uses CineD and LUT for get good dynamic range. He is using contrast 0 with CineD.

In my tests Natural contrast -5 has better dyn range and more pleasing colors and even better dyn range with iDynamic low/standard in high contrast scenes.

I agree the supertone opinion with Naom. It reduces dyn range but gives clean high contrast image.

• @Vescu Do you use natural all -5 ? and what about the contrast curve and the mast ped?

• +1 for Natural settings.

• +2 for Natural settings

• @chef

My settings depends on lenses, indoors, outdoors, 4k, 2k, extele, subject, lightning...

Usually I use outdoors with kit lenses Natural contrast -5, sharpness -4, color 0, NR -5, idynamic low and highlight -1. NR -5 gives more noise but it is still most pleasing to eye.

Indoors or low light no idynamic and sometimes contrast -4 or -3.

With ex-tele standard profile (a bit cleaner), no idynamic.

With 100-300mm lens sharpness 0. GH4 sharpness processing is different for different lenses. 14-42mm looks oversharpened at 0 and 14-140 II too but not so much. 100-300mm needs more sharpening in long end.

If I want cleanest image I use supertone-like settings: more exposure and conpensating that with about HL -3 and contrast -1 but I loose some dynamic range if I dial contrast up.

I dont use master pedestrial normally. Some night scenes looks still good if I up master ped. It makes blacks lighter but gives no more noise.

• Some stuff I shot out hiking with my GH4. You can read the details on Vimeo.

• If you look at Noam Kroll's blog examples, his CineD settings and LUT look good and 'Natural'. In fact, they look really close to CineV straight from the camera, as he mentions. So unless you need the extra half stop of DR, shoot in CineV.

• GH4 V Log L testing at the moment... early test. More coming.

• @driftwood. Any idea when vlog will be available? Any way you can share the info about the video and spare us waiting for an answer? :P

• I made this video with just the photos I took with two cameras on one day on the island Texel in the Netherlands. GH4 for the Wildlife and D700 for the ultrawide scenes. All scenes with ge GH4 was made without AF and the full 12fps in RAW.

You can read the whole story about the trip in my blog www.photographicx.de (german)