Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • but I would love it if a company like Samsung, or anyone else, would build a 4 channel, 24 bit recorder into the cam--Samsung has the R&D to do it. Hoping the price drops on this cam before the summer.....

It does not require much R&D, all it requires is copy and enhance Sony xlr-k2m, use existing digital connection (they can use compression inside adapter if it is not enough for 4 channels) and update firmware.

• @DrDave There are certainly enough rumors out there suggesting a price drop. I love the thing. I'm coming mainly from GH2s. So if you're from a similar reference, you will appreciate it. I read an interesting comment that the skew in 1080p is greatly reduced. This is something I'll test soon and report on here. Skew in general is something I've not had a big issue with but nonetheless, there are times when skewlessness is a big advantage.

• +1 on @brianl proper review and testing.

• Some people have noticed noise reduction problem in UHD mode, it smears fine detail in many areas of the video in low light, and indeed, some details are washed away even at low ISO, the GH4 retains really more détails (but also noise inevitably).

I hope Samsung will offer us the possibility to really control the NR soon, i prefer a bit of noise than washed away details.

Test.jpg
    1247 x 619 - 202K
  • For what it is worth, [... it refers to mirrorless cameras]

"Samsung Electronics’ smart camera NX1 was named as the best camera by the U.S. consumer magazine Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports recently evaluated the quality of a total of 33 [mirrorless] cameras and extended the highest scores of 78 to Samsung’s NX1, giving it an excellent grade.

The NX1 gained the highest score in the categories of video, usability, LCD performance, and viewfinder. Particularly in the categories of video quality, low illumination photo, shutter speed and battery running time, the NX1 gained thumbs-up from Consumer Reports."

http://www.koreaittimes.com/story/44779/samsung-nx1-named-best-camera

• https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3650828

Hey guys please send a comment to Adobe to get them to support h265.

• Consumer Reports is junk.

• @Angry_C I used single focus area centered most of the time.

• Consumer Reports is junk.

If someone makes decision based on their publications - it is not junk.

• Overall, Samsung's made a pretty potent mirrorless shooter in the NX1. There's not too much to complain about in either stills or movie mode, though editing video will require a middleman conversion until H.265 becomes more widely supported. The biggest question is whether Samsung's lens offerings meet your needs -- a solid camera body is nothing without good glass. If the performance and solid build have you curious, take a look at the lens lineup and see if the ranges and specs you need are there.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/10/samsung-nx1-camera-tested/

• Offtopic cleared, please use appropriate topic next time.

• Hey guys, sent Samuel a test of 1080p mode for rolling shutter. Turns out It's the best available at any price!

If you want to see the test yourself here's the link to my tests: geoffcbassett.com/nx1rollingshutter.zip

• Unfortunately, it's also the worst in 4k.

• Two short ones. Loving the sensor so far!

• OK I will buy half a dozen. Sigh. Anyone want a GM1?

• Yes can you update more about lenses options ?

• I really like Albert's two videos. The grading works. That one shot in Winter Sun is incredible.

I'm saying all this so people won't think I'm attacking him.

Both videos show a substantial amount of banding. I'm hoping it was introduced by sub optimal settings in transcoding from H265 or exporting from Premiere. Hopefully this is the case since it can be easily rectified.

• @astirix30 Pretty much any non-mirrorless lens can be mounted via an adapter. No mount exists for AF with canon lenses yet.

Also, discovered Blender supports native H265 editing. blender.org

• Firmware ver.1.21

• Improved Drive speed under RAW, SAF, Continuous Normal setting
    • Optimized [Fast / Slow Movie] option of FHD 23.98p Movie size
    • Improved Touch AF performance during Movie recording
    • Fixed Smartphone synchronization of Time and Time Zone when you connect Bluetooth
    • Improved the purple noise issue of UHD 23.98p Movie size in the dark conditions
    • Fixed RAW file EXIF GPS information when you use the Geotagging under Smartphone Bluetooth connection

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/EV-NX1ZZZBQBUS

• Wow. They've stayed true to their word about releasing firmware updates. I'm surprised 1.21 came so quickly after 1.20.

• Can't wait to try it out. Excited about the bit with improved 1080p (hopefully without sacrificing RS!) And Better UHD lowlight.