Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX100 camera topic
  • 566 Replies sorted by
  • This cam has zebras just like the GH4... f*cking awesome!

It definitely does timelapse, which I don't think was listed in the initial specs.

• Or go and shoot - production really really don't care

• @lenuisible

ah...what ? It covers a 4/3 multi-aspect ratio sensor which means it covers even more than a normal 4/3 sensor !

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Now imagine this lens to be released for m43 cameras with $299 retail.

Maybe it doesn't fully cover a 4/3 sensor

• BhPhoto has a set of specs that show the standard 30 minute restriction. Poopie. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082158-REG/panasonic_lumix_dmc_lx100_digital_camera.html

• @karl I understand the problem, what I'm looking for is the number :) It is printed two ways, and 45 and 15 are not EU related (unless you subtract 15 from 45....) Anyway I can wait till the first big sale and the massive reports of pulsing and clumping noise have died down.

• @karl no the miniature effect shoots at a slower framerate and when played at normal framerate condenses the clip....so it's not timelapse. It also defocuses the lower and upper third of the image. dpreview says "no timelapse but I've seen some articles that says it has it , so time will tell

• @DrDave @fosterchen: It seems there are different recording time limits in 4k and 1080p modes - the 4k mode limit seems to be heat-related in all regions, while the 1080p recording time limit is due to customs evasion in EU and thus shorter than it is in the rest of the world (where it might be again be heat-related, but after a longer time than in 1080p mode).

• This offering from a German dealer (Cyberport) for 899,- € is the first one I cound find posted. They expect shipment at 30.10.2014.

• The Berlin video and having accounted for what it is, looks very nice. IMO that's how fine detail and textures would ideally look like; see samsumg's madagascar detail disaster video to see what I mean.
    Hey @karl this baby and your script... uhh la la {fugges a la charte}. I've always been kind of a Pana fangirl but I'm very impressed with today's releases. Now, to gain back my (and some other users) trust and favours, Tashio and the other boys at Panachonic Hdqt could make retrospective fixes and firmware the hell out of GH3's bugs... for example.
    Nevertheless and despite the fixed screen, this looks and promises as a very nice machine-bug, my boss would be happy :P

HDMI connector on the right side :-) Most probably, it won't work during recording.

sigma46.jpg
    800 x 625 - 60K
  • 15 or 45 I guess are the finalists.

• 45 minutes 4K (chart above) is certainly different from 15 minutes....anyone have a real number?

• Panasonic UK site's 4K tech specs:

• 90mins. continuous recordable time
    • 45mins. actual recordable time

Note at the bottom of the specs: "Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously with [MP4] in [4K] is 15 minutes."

Confusing..

• Huh

The electronic viewfinder is unimpressive, exhibiting noticeable lag as you move the camera around to reframe the shot. It's large enough to be adequate for most users, but it's just not as satisfying as the best EVFs around.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/15/6152781/panasonic-lx100-micro-four-thirds-camera-photokina-hands-on/in/5917924

Something tells me that they again have economy mode turned on by default.

• dpReview says "no timelapse". Yet (at least the German) press release from Panasonic mentions a "Miniatur-Effekt" that would result in a 1 minute video from 10 minutes of recording. Sounds like a timelapse to me...

• Can someone explain to me what "extended ISO range" refers to in Panasonic-speak? Are there limitations to what you can do when using ISO 100 in comparison to what you can do when using ISO 200?

BTW: I wonder why they only support the UHS-1, not the UHS-2 interface to SDXC cards in this latest camera release. Not that this should be a problem at 100MBit/s max...

BTW2: One spec list mentioned that the elctronic shutter would work for times up to 1s. If that is true, I wonder if there is much reason left to use the mechanic shutter at all :-)

• I'm confused about what frame rates are actually supported. It seems that once again, regionally sold models differ (for no good reason). Some previews state that 2160p30 and 2160p24 are supported in the "NTSC region", while "PAL regions" are inconsistently said to either support both 2160p25 and 2160p24 or only 2160p25. Obviously, I would not buy a camera crippled to 25p, only.

• The scene with the trees have some murky details, too. But since most of the internals are very similar to the GH4, I guess that the artifacts are due to the Youtube compression.

• Panasonic's 4k sample video allows some conclusions:

• Excellent absence of aliasing artefacts (see window shades at time 00m:34s)

• Strong rolling shutter effect visible on moving public transport at 01m:56s, minor rolling shutter effect visible in bicycle at 02m:01s

• Overall image quality looks very good, but all the stuff was shot in bright daylight, so no challenge here, and low-light abilities cannot be seen.

• No "difficult to focus" scenes included in this sample, and also no scene that would have been difficult to shoot steady.

• Extreme compression artifacts visible in moving water at 02m:19s - but that is probably from the insane youtube typical compression to ridiculously low bitrates, and hopefully not from the camera. If you pixel peep the upper left corner at 02m:23s you'll see awful pixel steps at first, which suddenly disappear after a few seconds, probably due to the encoder spending some more bits at this time.

• Too bad the shutter speed dial is 1/60 instead of 1/50 :-(

I know why it is; it's just full stops going from 1/4000. But still, I hope that you can assign that 1/60 to 1/50 in video recording when recording 25p or 24p.

Also filter thread is 43mm. Do they make 43mm variable ND filters? Would a step down to 37mm filter cause vignetting at the wide angle? Probably, no?

• From @Sph1nxster 's (pana official uk) link, mic is stereo and

• LX100 is similar to GX7 in size, and it even shares the same battery and the EVF. However its sensor and processor are GH4 alike.

P1480822.sm.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 806K