Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • ProRes No color grading or file conversion

• @kingmixer, RAW or ProRes?

• @brianl You know, I have many reasons why I think the Metabones is better than the RJ.

• @kingmixer Yep, known problem. Is this in Resolve, raw or after you've colored and converted?

• @vicharris, so best as I can tell, the metabones has a better wide angle factor compared to RJ et al? It's better at taking away the pain of the 3x crop factor?

• I haven't slept in a couple days, so it's very possible i'm having a brain lapse or overlooking something, but has anyone seen any issues like this before?

I know I've heard of the black spot problem and the rolloff problem, don't remember this. (and yes the firmware is up-to-date)

Example1.jpg
    1024 x 573 - 334K
    Example2.jpg
    923 x 518 - 377K
  • @BurnetRhoades Is there something about the bmpcc's implementation of m43 that makes a specifically designed speedbooster useful?

• @brianl no, but Metabones makes a model specific to the BMPCC (and one for the BMCC). It's even more powerful than the standard MFT model.

• @GMC bmpcc makes a speedbooster?

• @GMC No problem matching density with the Rok 85mm? That might be the only one I keep from the set.

• Here is a recent piece I shot with the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, Rokinon 85mm T1.5 and BMPCC Speedbooster. Fantastic combo, by the way! Sound via "Line in" using a ZOOM H2. Let me know what you think!

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/10163/hoi-an-people-#Item_1

• What is horizontal or vertical depends on what you're talking about, dots or lines. It's nearly 2K vertical lines but it's nearly 2K horizontal dots. When you see resolution expressed as a single dimension in terms of 1K, 2K, 3K, 4K, 5K, 6K, etc. that's horizontal dots.

Classic video-centric shorthand tends to reference horizontal lines 525 scanlines, 480P, 1080P, etc. though even here, because a given standard is a fixed number of horizontal lines when they discuss the resolution performance of a recording system or camera they'll be talking vertical, going back to the bad old days of VHS, which was still 525 scanlines.

Context is the determining factor in every case.

• I may be wrong about this, but I was looking at the specs for this camera on B and H's site.

Why is the topic refer to the BMC pocket 2K if it's 1920 x 1080? A lot of cameras use the larger vertical dimension as opposed to the horizontal in explaining the resolution now (or maybe I'm just noticing it more).

I'm not talking about the quality of the image (bitrate, RAW, etc.), but just the resolution.

It is technically 2K on the vertical.

• While you shouldn't put a Hot Mirror behind the ND, I can't spot a difference with the Hoya.

• Do the ir cut filter must be in front of the nd fader, or can stand behind too? I just brougt a 77mm hoya ir cut filter and a 67mm genus eclipse nd with 72mm in front. I have a 77 to 67mm step down ring so i can put the nd in front of ir cut filter... PS. Do the green cast apeare in raw too?

• Maybe not even built into it, but just the way it works. A vari ND is only two polarizers moving against each other.

I get more brown cast with a regular ND.

With the Hoya IR&UV cut I see only minimal greenish cast, but as already mentioned here, it's easy to handle.

• @nomad interesting comment on the Heliopan Vari ND. I was watching the IR cut discussion, but I did not see any of what is described here (like muddy / brownish blacks), and I always use the Heliopan. It seeems to me that some IR cut is built into the Heliopan. Can others confirm that?

• @DocoDocoMan

We have topics for both, spend few seconds, please.

• Have you folks seen these?

•Blackmagic URSA Camera - http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ursa/

•Blackmagic Studio Camera - http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/bmsc/

• Hoya. Case closed

• Thanks. The green cast apear only in prores?

• @crisvpl

I use a Hoya IR Cut, and in this particular shot I used a Tiffen VariND. I was using the Panny 12-35/2.8 wide open, and I forgot how many stops of ND but I think it as about 5-6 stops. As you can see this combo leaves a green cast but easily correctable and no issue at all if shooting RAW. As usual YMMV - and there have been many a heated discussion about this here and at BMC User. image

Plate.png
    1080 x 259 - 428K
  • The BMPCC is very sensitive to IR, I can see a slight shift on the vectorscope even with a 0.3 ND.

The Hoya UV&IR cut does a good job, and it seems to be absorptive, so it can be put behind faders like the Heliopan, which does have a front thread on the larger sizes.

That said, at least the Heliopan (I didn't test the Genus) cuts more IR than classic fixed ND filters, I saw a need for an extra IR filter only at massive ND.