Personal View site logo
18-35mm F1.8 Sigma DC zoom lens
  • 335 Replies sorted by
  • Another question, any comparisons between getting this sigma and the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM with the speedbooster xl which would give a better focal range than the 18-35 and also offer stabilisation on the gh4?

• @lmackreath

You will definitely start to use the other focal lengths. The sigma shines most when you also have a speedbooster since it becomes a 13-35mm/f1.3-1.8. All focal lengths VERY sharp, even wide open.

It is a more clinical look compared to the voigt. Less character. Having said that, it is a pleasing look with great colors and I really love the close focus. You can do macro-ish closeups at 13mm with shallow depth of field and smooth bokeh. That is an entire category of shooting that is a totally different look than what the voigt offers at 25mm.

BTW, I have the slr magic 25mm f0.95. I didn't get rid of it after getting the sigma, but use it way less often. The SLR has more character which can be nice on the GH sensors, and it is sharp wide open which is nice in available low light. The voigt is not so great wide open in comparison, but takes over after stopping down a bit.

Lastly, whenever I use the SLR Magic handheld, I am relieved by the smaller footprint. The Sigma is a tank, especially with a speedbooster.

For pro work on sticks, the sigma is simply a much more versatile lens than the voigt. As many have said, it is multiple primes in one lens.

O

• Morning all, I have the voigtlander 25mm f.095 lens and was wondering on peoples thoughts on the value of me getting the sigma when I already have the voigtlander?. Obviously the sigma covers a wide focal range whereas the voigt only is at 25mm, but thats the focal length I tend to go to on the gh4 so I dont know if I would see much advantage having a bit more focal leg room either side of the 25mm?

• @Tscheckoff Thanks - good info.

• @matt_gh2:

It´s only for the AF correction ^^.
    (So not necessary with only MF operation.)

@HillTop1:

Well - The D750 is brand new. Maybe the 18-35mm needs an upgrade.
    (It was the same with the D5300 for example.
    And it took just a few days until the update came out. So stay tuned ^^.)

LG

• Hi guys, I have this sigma lens. I recently went to my local camera store to try it out on the nikon d750. The lens does not focus in liveview mode but it focuses through the viewfinder just fine. I check if there's a firmware update for the lens but I didn't see anything. Anyone come across the problem before?

• A seamless follow focus gear that slides onto the focus ring.

• Does the Sigma USB Dock do anything if you are only using the Sigma 18-35 lens fully manually with an adapter (on GH2)? Is it just for improving auto-focus operation?

• Mine will be here today. What is "custom gears from Sean"?

• Shot my first project with this lens tonight... fan-flippin-tastic. I got the custom gears from Sean on eBay as well. Great stuff. Shooting a wedding on Saturday as well. Can't wait to use it for that. Super sharp, great look. I really do hope they make another lens similar to this in a longer focal length range, but faster than the f4 on the 24-105. I'd love to have this quality in a 24-70 or similar.

• Very soon Sony A mount and Pentax K mount versions will be shipping.

• @any one using this lens with gh4, please in put

• This lens literally stays on whatever camera I am using at the time. The BMCC or the BMPCC with speedbooster. It'll be even better when I add the custom gears from Sean and increase the focus throw!

• The 28cm focus distance is really to the sensor. I can go about 6 - 7 cm to the front of the lens and I can get focus, really like a macro lens. By the way, here is a recent piece I shot with the Sigma:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/10163/hoi-an-people-#Item_1

• For compacts it is frequently distance from front lens.

• Such values are normaly always calculated from the sensor. Otherwise it would be "fun" to compare many different lenses g. ^^

• Minimum focus is 28 cm. Is that calculated from the sensor or from the front of the lens? Anyone?

• Interesting article

• @Sanye

Sure man, when I get home. I actually just picked up the Tokina 100mm Macro to hopefully fill the Rokinon 85mm for now. It cuts real well with the Sigma as well and it's pretty cheap.

• I have the Rokinon 85mm Cine, and although the gearing is nice, optically it's a little underwhelming. It's not bad, but it's nothing special. The construction feels chintzy, and the minimum focus distance seems to be like 4 feet, which is disappointing. I'll probably sell it and pick up a Tokina or Tamron 90mm Macro instead. Not sure how the other Rokinon cine primes compare, but my advice is to avoid them.

I really hope Sigma makes a 85mm f/1.4 for their Art series. That would be very cool.

• @vicharris & @matt_gh2 thanks for that feedback it's really helped, I think this with the speed booster then grab the 50 and 85 primes over time in the same series will be the way to go and give me a really good coverage + plenty of options in the future if I decide to swap bodies etc.

• Yep. Picked one up for $300. Think Kholi got his for $225 or something like that.