Personal View site logo
Aputure AL-H160, CRI 95+ first affordable small led light
  • 35 Replies sorted by
  • I couldn't find any major shift when dimming, neither with these or the no-name ones sold here over PV as well. The other ones had a Tungsten setting too, but that wasn't so great.

But both LED panels could keep up quite well with Kino Flos equipped with Osram Dulux 954, which claim a CRI of 90+ Ra and are widely accepted in the industry.

I tested with an Epic and two BM cameras. The BM cameras showed more strange things going on with colors even on my daylight reference shots than the Epic – IOW, at this level of CRI the camera you have counts more than the brand of the lights!

For German readers: My test will be in the next issue of Digital Production.

• Well, finally got mine.

I too lack the proper equipment to test actual CRI, but my first observation was that it's warmer, in the 4900K area. my Z96 are well over 6000, and the cn160 is in the 5500 area. all according to various white balances. The light seems fairly pleasant to my eyes, but i'll try and put them next to something for comparison. at least it doesn't have the awful shoe that the cn160 has.

• I bought four of them from a german seller for 35€ a piece. Unfortunately the package got lost by DHL, so I had to reorder them and it'll take a few more days before they’re here.

From Aputure’s Youtube Video it looks like they aren’t great when they’re dimmed. Am I the only one seeing a strong purple tint there?

• Ordered two of these on 22 April. Finally seem to have been shipped from HK today. Looking forward to receiving them!

I'll give some impressions when I've played with them a bit.

• I agree. I am using ColorChecker Passport and Sekonic light meter to get these things right. It's very helpful for mixed light.

• Just remember that either LED or CFL, these are not perfect. But you can get good results if you really get a good white balance and light the subject well.

• Thank you guys for your thoughtful sharing.

It is great to hear that, at least subjectively, the new LEDs look cleaner. I will also look into the BlueMax CFL bulbs.

• CFLS are pretty cheap, as V says, so I think you should try one and see for yourself. Here's my 2 cents.

I think the ALZO's are slightly overrated and a bit more noise (hum) than I would like. I think the BlueMax CFL bulbs are very good and very quiet, and I feel a bit safer since the mercury is bound into the glass, in case a whole row of them goes over.

Having said that, it is also pretty clear that these bulbs vary a bit from batch to batch.

If you look at the light from the CFL and the new LED, the LED looks whiter and does not have that odd color cast that even the best CFLs have. But you can get good results with good CFLs, if you balance your WB very carefully. I would have to do a long session with both to really see what the deal is, but for now I'm keeping my 95 CRI CFL's and using the LED for other things.

• how does this LED light compare to high CRI photo CFL lights (like the acclaimed ALZO CFLs with CRI of 91)?

CFL had been cheaper, and up to last months were only viable option for good CRI lighting.

Any reason why you can not have both? As it is SMALL lights and CFL usually are used with quite large softboxes placed on light stands. Add to it that whole CFL kit is quite cheap. It is just different things.

• @DrDave Thanks for your feedback.

Do you, or anyone else, have any experience how does this LED light compare to high CRI photo CFL lights (like the acclaimed ALZO CFLs with CRI of 91)?

I am pondering if I should stick with soft-boxes/umbrellas with high CRI CFLs or make the jump to LEDs. It is for on location interviews.

• @DMZ Bottom line: white and bright, less junk in the colors. As to the actual CRI I have no way of knowing. It still looks "LED", but more pure. If you were to use it for an interview, it has, as others have noted, that sort of "small box glare" that all small, bright boxes create.

I have a big fat Sony battery and it works great. I would hesitate to use anything else.

• @vicharris @DrDave

What did you find out in your tests?

• I just received this light, and I will do some further tests. However, even without any testing it is clear that the light is "better" than your typical LED, it just looks better. It is closer to white. Whether that is the high CRI is hard to say. It is also quite bright. I have only tested it with a big Sony battery and the temps are OK so far. I could see lighting a subject with two of these no problem. Like all of these small box LEDs, the can really be hard on the subject's eyes up close.

• I'm pretty happy with my CN-160's, but I would love to check these lights out.

• I just put in 6 cheap Duracell alkaline mn1500 batteries and after little bit over than hour they were so hot that I couldn't hold them in my hand, not sure if that's normal.

• I use eneloop batteries with mine and I find that after about 5 min that the output drops down to minimum.

Check voltage on eneloop batteries. It must be lower than usual batteries, I think.

Otherwise Sony NP batteries are very cheap.

• I use eneloop batteries with mine and I find that after about 5 min that the output drops down to minimum. I can't trust it. I am worried that if I buy a lithium battery I might be wasting more money. Your thoughts please...

• Yeah would be nice to see some test. CRI is next megapixel, just put a sticker and there it is.

In fact CRI is closer to DR. As it is complicated anyone can brandy any number as 90% people won't be abel to test it.

And it is just plain wrong and incorrect. Better spend some time looking at lights measurements and CRI calculation.

• In fact CRI is closer to DR. As it is complicated anyone can brandy any number as 90% people won't be abel to test it.

• Yeah would be nice to see some test. CRI is next megapixel, just put a sticker and there it is. It is like when I had my Nikon 12 megapixel D300 two years ago. I remember people with their compact camera who looked astonished when I told them it was 12 mega pixel. They thought that their tiny 14+ megapixel sensor would resolve better, just because it was written that there was more megapixel on the box. Manufacturers are like this, they just put sticker and search for catchy words to sell their product. Sometimes it is correct and many times only marketing bullshit.

What really is annoying for me is their image above. So they show you a supposed test of their product with 90 to 100 daylight. What is more suspicious is that it is the same image. They just put saturated one image or desaturated it. And who would use such a light with daylight!!!!!!!!!!! A candle would not make much more difference.

• The sun has a green spike, but it is still good light.

• @vicharris thanks a lot and looking forward to your effort.

• @vicharris

I really care only about test results. I do not care if they are negative and will be glad to see them, as usual.

I also want to again ask to make proper spectrum measurements (and they will provide you CRI numbers), it is not so hard to find proper equipment.

• Oh, I'm happy with many things. My Black Magic cameras, my new Sigma lenses, My Hoya IRNDs, my Alphatron EVF, the Tascam DR-60, even my 312 Bi Color LEDs.......but not these that claim 95 CRI. It's bullshit. Don't even need scopes to see the green spike.

You were baiting me to talk about budget speedboosters weren't you? :)

• I'll post scope results, not "opinions" Not too happy with results for 95 CRI.

As usual you are not happy? :-) In fact all that is required for starters is good spectrum measurements.