Personal View site logo
Aputure AL-H160, CRI 95+ first affordable small led light
  • 35 Replies sorted by
  • Wow, below $50 for cri 95? not bad!

• Really cool. Now can replace my old Aputure 160 lights to this one.

• Nice! Now move on to 1x1 panels :D

• Available on deals.

• Are these the same as the new LEDs from F&V, except a fraction of the cost? How are these so cheap?

• Are these the same as the new LEDs from F&V, except a fraction of the cost?

F&V was teasing their light for quite long, but prices and availability are problems.

And yep, CRI show how close spectrum is to the tungsten in certain number of points.

How are these so cheap?

Aputure found good supplier of leds. Plus they sell now huge numbers of lights.

• price is too good...

ordered one, but off to vacation and won't be back to toy with it till fool's day

• Tests coming. Just to be sure. Testing against the 312 from here.

• Tests coming.

:-) what this means exactly? :-)

• I'll post scope results, not "opinions" Not too happy with results for 95 CRI.

• I'll post scope results, not "opinions" Not too happy with results for 95 CRI.

As usual you are not happy? :-) In fact all that is required for starters is good spectrum measurements.

• Oh, I'm happy with many things. My Black Magic cameras, my new Sigma lenses, My Hoya IRNDs, my Alphatron EVF, the Tascam DR-60, even my 312 Bi Color LEDs.......but not these that claim 95 CRI. It's bullshit. Don't even need scopes to see the green spike.

You were baiting me to talk about budget speedboosters weren't you? :)

• @vicharris

I really care only about test results. I do not care if they are negative and will be glad to see them, as usual.

I also want to again ask to make proper spectrum measurements (and they will provide you CRI numbers), it is not so hard to find proper equipment.

• @vicharris thanks a lot and looking forward to your effort.

• The sun has a green spike, but it is still good light.

• Yeah would be nice to see some test. CRI is next megapixel, just put a sticker and there it is. It is like when I had my Nikon 12 megapixel D300 two years ago. I remember people with their compact camera who looked astonished when I told them it was 12 mega pixel. They thought that their tiny 14+ megapixel sensor would resolve better, just because it was written that there was more megapixel on the box. Manufacturers are like this, they just put sticker and search for catchy words to sell their product. Sometimes it is correct and many times only marketing bullshit.

What really is annoying for me is their image above. So they show you a supposed test of their product with 90 to 100 daylight. What is more suspicious is that it is the same image. They just put saturated one image or desaturated it. And who would use such a light with daylight!!!!!!!!!!! A candle would not make much more difference.

• In fact CRI is closer to DR. As it is complicated anyone can brandy any number as 90% people won't be abel to test it.

• Yeah would be nice to see some test. CRI is next megapixel, just put a sticker and there it is.

In fact CRI is closer to DR. As it is complicated anyone can brandy any number as 90% people won't be abel to test it.

And it is just plain wrong and incorrect. Better spend some time looking at lights measurements and CRI calculation.

• I use eneloop batteries with mine and I find that after about 5 min that the output drops down to minimum. I can't trust it. I am worried that if I buy a lithium battery I might be wasting more money. Your thoughts please...

• I use eneloop batteries with mine and I find that after about 5 min that the output drops down to minimum.

Check voltage on eneloop batteries. It must be lower than usual batteries, I think.

Otherwise Sony NP batteries are very cheap.

• I just put in 6 cheap Duracell alkaline mn1500 batteries and after little bit over than hour they were so hot that I couldn't hold them in my hand, not sure if that's normal.

• I'm pretty happy with my CN-160's, but I would love to check these lights out.

• I just received this light, and I will do some further tests. However, even without any testing it is clear that the light is "better" than your typical LED, it just looks better. It is closer to white. Whether that is the high CRI is hard to say. It is also quite bright. I have only tested it with a big Sony battery and the temps are OK so far. I could see lighting a subject with two of these no problem. Like all of these small box LEDs, the can really be hard on the subject's eyes up close.

• @vicharris @DrDave

What did you find out in your tests?

• @DMZ Bottom line: white and bright, less junk in the colors. As to the actual CRI I have no way of knowing. It still looks "LED", but more pure. If you were to use it for an interview, it has, as others have noted, that sort of "small box glare" that all small, bright boxes create.

I have a big fat Sony battery and it works great. I would hesitate to use anything else.