Personal View site logo
SDHC UHS Speed Class 3 cards for 4K
  • 56 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

It all depends on specific cards, but Sandisk is known as best option usually.

Try telling that to GoPro.

• Wow. Cheap as chips. Fingers crossed the transcends are good in the GH4

• Transcend has announced the launch of SDXC/SDHC UHS-I cards featuring full support for the Ultra High Speed Class 3 (U3) specification.

Capable of reaching read and write speeds of up to 95MB/s and 85MB/s, Transcend’s SDXC/SDHC UHS-I U3 cards provide the performance necessary to harness the full power of UHS U3-compliant digital recording equipment.

Recently released by the SD Association, the Ultra High Speed Class 3 specification guarantees a minimum constant write speed of 30MB/s to facilitate cinema-quality video recording. Transcend’s SDXC UHS-I U3 and SDXC/SDHC UHS-I U3X “Extreme” cards, however, can achieve at least double this performance with write speeds of up to 60MB/s and 85MB/s respectively.

In devices that do not support the UHS-I specification, Transcend’s SDXC/SDHC UHS-I U3 cards offer constant write speeds of at least 10MB/s (SD Speed Class 10 performance), which makes them perfect for Full HD video recording as well as fast-action consecutive shooting.

Featuring capacities ranging from 32GB to an enormous 128GB, Transcend's UHS-I U3 memory cards are fully equipped to handle the increased capacity requirements of professional photography and filmmaking. For instance, the 128GB SDXC UHS-I U3 card can store more than 20,000 high-resolution JPEG images (12 megapixel camera, 6MB file size), over 8,500 RAW images (based on 14MB file size), or a full 8 hours of 4K Ultra High-Definition footage (4096x2160 35Mb/s H.264 AVC compression).

The SDXC UHS-I U3 cards are available in 64GB (US$49) and 128GB (US$109) capacities, while the SDXC/SDHC UHS-I U3X cards are available in 32GB (US$59) and 64GB (US$119) capacities.

• I have the new 64GB Kingston class 3 SD card and it works fine in my GH3 Can't wait to see if it is up to GH4 4k output.

I am surprised that the SanDisk 280MBs cards do not have an advertised sustained write speed faster than a 80MBs Kingston card.

Perhaps someone will do a real world performance test instead of the standard "up to"? ie. My Porsche will go up to 1,000MPH (if dropped from outer space orbit).

• Anyone has an idea if these cards will perform well on a bmpcc?

• I am using the card reader on my lenovo w520. I agree that there may be some compatibility issue. This is the second time I test a card that should go over 45MB/s and does not (but the other one did not even reach 30MB/s). I'll see if I can get a sandisk 95/90 or 80 and see if the issue lies on my hardware.

• I recently got the 16gb Kingston. HEre are the disappointing results (considering the promise of 80MB/s for write.

Thing here that results can be inaccurate as you need proper USB writer that fully support this new standard.

• I recently got the 16gb Kingston. HEre are the disappointing results (considering the promise of 80MB/s for write.

Sequential Read : 77.865 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 45.856 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 72.244 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 3.441 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 8.312 MB/s [ 2029.3 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.867 MB/s [ 211.6 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 8.209 MB/s [ 2004.2 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.782 MB/s [ 190.9 IOPS]

• @Mistas

It all depends on specific cards, but Sandisk is known as best option usually.

• http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-64GB-UHS-I-SDA3/dp/B00I3BQJNA

64GB Kingston for $107, seems like a better deal than Sandisk. Kingston vs Sandisk, any comments Re: reliability?

• sorry, typo, of course I meant the gh4

• I use fast Toshiba Exceria cards all the time for 70 mb/s video. Excellent and quite cheap to buy. I think they may work with GH4.

Don't buy the hype that such cards should be $100 or more.

Exceria's may do. And they are a lot less.

-Andy

• @olli66

None of this cards are for GH2, just go to Sandisk cards topic :-)

• guys, what will be the card to buy for the GH2? Sandisc or Panasonic? With one 64gb how much footage can be recorded in 1080p/200Mbps and in 4k?

Panasonic is introducing new SDXC and SDHC UHS-I cards, the Gold Series “SDUC”, complying with UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) and suitable for 4K video recording. UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) is the standard announced in November last year by the SD Association responsible for establishing an SD card standard to respond to market needs for 4K video, defining a new Speed Class that guarantees a constant minimum write speed of 30MB/s.

The Gold Series “SDUC” introduced by Panasonic can provide this UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) and is capable of stable and continuous real-time video recording at a minimum write speed of 30MB/s (240 Mbps). It can be used not only for unlimited 4K video recording in MOV/MP4 format, but is also capable of ultra high bitrate video recording at 200 Mbps (ALL-Intra) or 100 Mbps (IPB) for enabling smooth and beautiful high-quality video without the dropouts caused by an insufficient writing speed.

With products not compatible with UHS Speed Class 3, the Gold Series cards are compliant with UHS Speed Class 1 or Speed Class 10 with a constant minimum writing speed of 10 MB/s (80 Mbps). The stable writing performance ensures highly reliable recording of low bit-rate 4K videos as well as Full HD and standard videos. Further, the Gold Series cards are a perfect match for the New LUMIX-G “DMC-GH4”, which is capable of providing awesome video quality for unlimited expressiveness.

sales10.jpg
    372 x 429 - 37K
  • @mpgxsvcd The Sandisk 64GB 95MB/s was one of the cards all modes worked on (even with spanning) - going higher with the bitrate is more a problem of the SD card controller used in the GH2.

• @Psyco

There were modes that even the fastest class 10 cards would fail on the modified GH2's even at lower bit rates. There is a lot more to stability than purely just bit rate. There is a reason that these cards have speed maximums and minimums and not just a single constant rating for their speeds.

• Wouldn't be the "old" and famous Sandisk 64GB 95MB/sec SD card enough for 4k on the GH4 as we use it for stable 100Mb/s patches on the GH2?

I have no idea, tests will show. As it can be that top camera write speed can not be reached on old cards. But it is pure speculation for now.

• Wouldn't be the "old" and famous Sandisk 64GB 95MB/sec SD card enough for 4k on the GH4 as we use it for stable 100Mb/s patches on the GH2?

Or are we forced to use the new and more expensive cards?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Do these new cards increase the possibilities for new better hack settings on the GH2?

• Why do they even make 16GB versions in these high speed cards? One would think if you needed this speed you're recording with big files

And why not, if someone buys them? :-)

In fact, SDHC card format is biggest hurdle in cameras performance. Due to interface and size.

• Why do they even make 16GB versions in these high speed cards? One would think if you needed this speed you're recording with big files.

• I am guessing that they can't release the GH4 until these new cards are widely available, right? The GH4 isn't much good without these cards. Even the 100 Mb/sec 1080p mode would not work reliably without one of these new cards.

Lets hope there isn't a delay in the introduction of these new cards.