Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Doing the high frame rate modes without audio is a big mistake. Some of us shoot high frame rate but we only want to do slow motion for a portion of the clip. They really should just do a 1080p @ 120 FPS mode and leave it at that. The camera is capable of it.

I don't need 4K yet and the GH4 won't give me the 120 FPS or even 96 FPS with audio I thought it would have. Bummer.

• How does the 100mbps IPB compare to the MJPEG on the Canon 1DC? Doesn't this compete very strongly and that camera is likely 6 times the pricing of this, not to mention the hard drive space savings you would have over the 1DC.

• Just a couple thoughts, after having seen several 4K cameras come and go nowhere ( JVC 4K prototype and in cancelling our BM 4K production camera order, and original pre-orders on GH2 and GH3) in combination with shooting Red for a couple years now, there's a hell of a lot more to a 4K image than resolution and frame rate to always keep in mind.

GH4 might have merits at the ISO rating, if it holds at 4K... but as to Bit Depth, Dynamic Range and RAW workflow, which this camera seems to have little or no mention of, what are we judging? Also, no mention of hardware H.265 encoding/decoding? Hmm...

I am more impressed technically by the Samsung Note 3 4K and Snapdragon 805 on upcoming smartphones and GoPro than this GH4 camera press release especially without IBIS...

Maybe with a little upcoming competition and hopefully IBIS, the GH5 may be more my creek.

I just have to pass on this as a B cam unless I see substantially impressive footage by many users, or unless they have magic compression tucked in that bitrate that Sony or anyone else can't achieve, but I doubt that...

Good to see another camera enter the 4K fold, nonetheless. Choice is good.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev to be fair, I wasn't hoping for I-Frame, I was just commented on the rumoured 220mbs not extending to 4k mode. Hoping for a good 100mbs IPB implementation and very excited about this camera, just waiting to pre-order. (Twitter seems to be blowing up with people complaining about one thing or another which makes me yawn.)

• $4K for 4K - makes cents

rimshot!

• OK, now price is the biggest mystery. Well, I guess image quality might trump all. ;)

• ...On the other hand, optimizing the combination design of new sensor, new imaging engine and low-pass filter enhances the limit resolution by more than 5% while suppressing moire...

so less moire at 1080p?

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/158184#Comment_158184

• Guys, less emotions. 100Mbps IPB usually can save more information than 200Mbps I frame.

• Do you want 10 bit 4:2:2 native with higher bitrate, expect a new Panasonic Recorder unit module. Now remember that for recording on card you need to buy expensive pana card.

now it has sense when they said it was gonna be a modular designed camera

• so i cant tell , is 10bit only via the external module which is gunna cost as much as - or even more by the looks of it- than the camera ? also 100mb/s surely thats not enough for decent 4k? sounds to me like the All-I 200mb/s would be lovely but that we have a similar situation here as the gh3's All I codec farce when it comes to the 4k....

just saw your post @endotoxic i think you've cracked it .... i always knew it was in some way too good to be true ... looks like its closer to $4000 to have 10bit 422 output then ....(which i would rather have than 4k any day of the week...)

• Please note that specs and PR will be put and updated at first posts.

• You can output the image through the HDMI connection in higher picture quality, but you cannot record it as a motion picture or still pictures. Ideal when the HDMI output is to be saved on external devices. When using 4:2:2/10-bit output, simultaneous video recording on SDXC/SDHC Memory Card in the camera is not possible.

so who is gonna sell us the "memory recording module" Lol? Panasonic? so we pay another 700 bucks on recorder unit. This is getting expensive.

*2 HDMI output from the camera is not possible when the camera is mounted on the Interface Unit.

THERE IS THE TRICK!, also native outout from miniHDMI is 8bit 4:2:2, so footage from camera in card will be 8bit.

• @kellar

im wondering the same. This are the same cripple shit companies does for protecting other products from upper gama

• why put 4k on 100Mbps on IPB and not use 200??

• Looking good, only knock I see is apparently 4k is 100mbs IPB only, while FullHD can be 200mbps ALL I or 100mbs IPB.

• The DMC-GH4 is also capable of real-time image output to the external monitor in 4:2:2 / 8-bit*3 via an optional micro HDMI cable simultaneously while recording video. Even 4:2:2 / 10-bit is available which is suitable for the professional video making that requires serious monitoring of the footage. Users can choose to output only the recording content or the content with the setting menus individually depending on a display.

seems that the answer from color reproduction is finished

• Figure #1 Video Recording Format Matrix

Moved to 2nd post

• they seem to have recicled P2 hvx stuff and put it on new logic for the module lol

• @thorn we are talking about all supported resolution included 4k ;)

• My prediction is $1799-1999 for the body, $1299-1499 for the adapter.

• Seems like everybody is {hindu voice} very excited and has something to say about this coming announcement of a coming new camera. As I'm totally falling asleep, I'll also like to contribute: Hey Panasonic, you are very clever GHnoms, I'm not thinking in not spending the money I don't have in this camera which doesn't exist yet, alraich?!! Jeje just a bit of trolling. I'll se your guys' digital faces with the awesome news tomorrow... not that you care

• I KNEW IT!

I'm saying for months, to be careful, that here there is a risk, take the buggered. An external recorder to have 10bit, when the camera have nothing to be so expensive.

They can die.

• Which isnt the same as 4K. ;)

• @thorn Required to get 10bit 422.