Personal View site logo
2014 m43 cameras, including GH5 aka 4K Wizard
  • 237 Replies sorted by
  • @Psyco: It's not how it works. What you're speaking of is the sampling (4:2:0, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 which are the three most commons). Basically yes, down-sampling a 4K 4:2:0 to a 2K frame will give you more or less a 4:2:2 sampling. Personally 4K 4:2:0 wouldn't bother me for the GH4/5. 8 bit would!

Color depth is about the range of colors. 8 bit is a total of 16 777 216 colors (2^(8)=256 [RxGxB=256x256x256=16 777 216]) or most commonly known as a 256 palette (0-255). 10 bit has a palette of 1024 (2^(10)=1024 so RxGxB=1024x1024x1024 = 1 073 741 824 [64 times more colors than 8 bit]). No banding problem, you can go more extreme with your color correction without damaging the picture.

There are also several other advantages to increase the bit depth as Having Super White and Super Black making the multiple exposure of Raw obsolete when a 32bit OpenEXR format has an infinite amount of gradient/colors above what would be burned highlights and crushed shadows that can be use very easily once a simple ramp is applied and edited to get back things would have considered "blown out" in 8 bit.

• 10bit is about colour depth. Not resolution.

• Seems too easy (even i dont know wich software should i use and how).

I think it's not like this: the colors deaph you shoot, you have.

But maybe i, that am wrong

• Maybe I'm wrong, but all people asking for 10bit 1080p get what they want with 8bit 4k - its just one small conversion programm in between, but when you are doing serious editing you want to transcode to Prores,... anyway.

How?

4k = 3840 x 2160 = 2 x 1920 x 2 x 1080 = 2 x 2 x fullHD

2 x 2 = 4 -> 2 extra bits

So, by down sampling every 2 x 2 pixels to one, there is 4x the information which is just the difference between 8bit and 10bit.

I'm interested in this GH3 with 4k - I'm just hoping it has a bigger sensore like the GH2 (not the actual GH3) and that it can be hacked to modify parameters to OUR needs. Oh, and finally getting 100/120fps for slomos!

More of the same :-)

sales24.jpg
    636 x 671 - 58K
    sales25.jpg
    640 x 426 - 35K
    sales26.jpg
    637 x 405 - 39K
  • @Hazna

Whats the purpose to have a soft doing it in camera (with no controls at all of what you're doing and no possibilities to add then again in post lens distortion) when software like Nuke and PfTrack can do it and can also add back the distortion that was firstly removed?

• In 1080p

• If Panasonic somehow manage to have raw video plus there in body lens distortion correction it will be imho revolutionary for videographers and film makers.

• @vitaliy

Ah, sorry! PB posted it today i think, but yeah, I should have realized that it would have already been here if true!

Funny really, seeing as he spends the first part of his post in essence talking about how he doesn't post rumors!

• I think is best option record video in RAW before to 4K in another codec, but sells more the idea about you record at 4K.

When you have a RAW file allows you to give the image more depth, richness of color, give you more details and a number of things you can manipulate.

Manufacturers have sold the idea that 4K is ideal when the 1080 inst totally standardized, but there are resolutions 6K, 8K, 10K, they will always sell the unrealistic need we need more resolution, we will see in 3-5 years telling us that we need a 8K TV and they will talk about the benefits, which also involve investing more in computer equipment that need more processing power and storage.

• @jules

No need to repost old and quite wrong info PB reposted from old 43rumors.

• 4:2:2 and 10 bit sounds awesome. 4K could be useful to down sample and be greatly useful for Keying (or just make a fake 4:2:2 happen if it is 4:2:0). But the price tag scares me a bit, I don't know if I would like to buy a GH4/5 if I had that amount of money to spend with the rumored spec it has.

• @rigs ha! Yes and they send you a little sticker to cover over 'GH3' with'4k' instead. We wish..

• Perhaps the GH4K will be exactly the same as what we already have in a GH3 but with an additional firmware purchase you can get 4k and some much more. Perhaps all can be unlocked with an external device that also adds in pro features. Or maybe not.

• If it's going to be released in February, I'd expect to see some video samples shortly. I wanna buy it.

• My guess is that they will be using a Sensor that is not that far off from what we've seen from other Panasonic Cameras. I don't expect a huge jump in DR or Low Light capability. My guess is that it's likely the same level as the GX7 in terms of DR and Low Light, but with 4K resolution. I can imagine that Detail/Sharpness lovers will be all over this camera.

I am curious about how the camera will handle color. Will it be more of the same we've seen from other Panasonic Cameras or will they manage to squeeze a bit more smoothness and accuracy out of it?

• Which kind of codec will be used by Panasonic?

• I think it would better suit most people. Most of us will finish in 2k or 1920x1080 anyways… so down-sampling from a 4K image would look more detailed. You also get a lot smaller file sizes that the Pocket’s RAW. Also…I hope they will have 120fps @ 1080 (proly more like 720 though). I hope dynamic range is up there as well.

• Its rare when many speak of the benefits of the Pocket Camera can record video in RAW, but none seems get it in the GH4/5, can the new Panasonic with the codec All-I Intra closer to video RAW? for wedding videos and interviews not need RAW, but in shorts, musical videos, some spots and movies low budget its interesting.

• More info, just confirming rumors of what Vitaliy posted. Plus the obligatory picture of a GH3 with a 4K sticker on it.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/panasonics-4k-mirrorless-gh-camera/

• Ha ha...looks like we posted about it at the same time.

• UHD content can be recorded at 200 Mbps, and output in a full live feed via a mini-HDMI port (thanks to ALL-I Intra mode) to display on a computer or record to a hard drive.
    • UHS Class 3 card option
    • It will be able to simultaneously snap photos while recording video.
    • Official release in late February, when it'll arrive with a price tag of $2,000 or less.
  • Reading all these post I would say that the main goal of that fake gh4 photo is achieved already :)

• @cde Who knows, maybe the next GH will be the first to incorporate VP9 codec, which would half those figures.

• I'll be interested in this camera if Panasonic allow the 200mbps/100mbps bitrate for 1080p.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions