Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • I greetings brothers produced this sanity hack gh2 5.1 on 14-42mm lens

• @tinbeo The beach was on Bantayan island just north of Cebu. My Filipino friends said the same comment about the ducks, they said they can't believe someone hadn't had them for dinner yet.

• @aklumix , @lloydsweden , Ralph_B thanks Ralph_B thanks guys

• @alkumix Your film bring me back to memories of boat people at Philippines . Is the beach close to Bataan? I haven't seen ducks on the beach -:)

• More info: I did shoot 25fps and in HBR ,1080i and to be honest I don´t really understand the 1080i thing. "progressive in a i-wrapper" ? I´ve read this discussion and more at Personal view but panasonic formatstuff still confuses me. It´s not important to me to shoot at 24fps so being in PAL-land 25 or 50 frames seems a good choice. In the editor (Premiere) it seems ok (square pixels). Even though some say that the video-editor interprets wrongly.

• For what it's worth, I'm finding that I'm shooting with the Nature setting more and more. I believe this mode has the richest colors the GH2 can produce without going over the top. I put the contrast to -2 and saturation to 0 and sometimes +2 (if I really want to punch up the picture). This come reasonably close to matching the look of Canon DSLR's.

• I was using GH2 ,Smooth, all -2 except saturation which was at -1. I´m a stills photographer recently started with dslr video. Amazed how unintuitive Panasonic can make an UI. What suprised me was that the video was quite sharp without any sharpening , in spite of large aperture. Sanity worked very well. Maybe I should have changed filmmode when I oversaturated the lighting. Standard or just lower camera saturation. I have color-corrected but very little was needed on the skintones due to simple but careful lighting.

• Thanks @Ralph_B and @matt_gh2. @Axier the settings were 24p with everything set to -2 except saturation set to 0. I believe I shot these morning shots on 1/40 shutter. The color correction was all curves as well as adding a little warmth in the mids. For some of the skies I used a slight gradient to give it some more depth. I have used quite a few patches. One of my favorite patches was Orion v4b, and I chose Sanity after Orion because something about Sanity feels like the Orion look I was getting with much smaller file sizes.

• @aklumix recording settings? You make a color correction? @lloydsweden recording settings?

• @aklumix This really looks great - thanks for posting.

@Ralph_B Haven't followed the Sanity stuff that closely, but now I'm recently seeing a lot of nice videos shot with it. Very nice setting - thanks for creating that, I'll have to experiment with it in the future.

• @TraumManufaktur

I don't have a GF2, so I can't answer your question.

• @aklumix

Excellent cinematography! You have a good eye. I enjoyed it.

• Just finished shooting an improvised feature film on Sanity 5.1 and it performed wonderfully. I'll post some footage when we wrap the last pick-ups.

• Shot with Sanity 5.1. Really impressed with Sanity, thanks Ralph.

• @Ralph_B Thanks! It´s a trailer for a theatre-play based on Paul Austers, New York trilogy, when the actor´s not speaking gibberish he´s speaking swedish. The stills are taken with Canon-gear though. The footage and editing may be a bit overexpressive but so is the play.

• @Ralph_B I won an auction for a GF2 as a second camera, what tweaks do I have to do to match my GH2 Sanity 5.1 in the ini? Can I run both on 24L, any other tips, perhaps for color presets? Beyond photo, I'll be using the GF2 mainly as a wide in interviews. Thanks!

• @lloydsweden

Impressive! I love the lighting. Too bad I don't know what he's saying. Great job!

• Shot with Sanity 5.1 and Nokton 25mm

• Thank you Ralph!

• @nic2011

Really nice. Has a dreamy quality.

• So, I did some quick test shots in rainy weather with "SANITY 5.1" today. And, surprise surprise, it fits almost all of my expectations:

• really good quality in 24p + 60p.
    • long GOP (18 in 24p + 60p)
    • moderate datarate, mostly between 30-60mbps
  • @GSMYTH555

The hack has nothing to do with that.

• Hello all. I installed the Sanity 5.1 and love it. But I got my first hotshoe flash (Nissin Di466) today and it doesn't recognise the camera. Do you think the hack has anything to do with it? I'm at work now so can't reformat, plus would rather not have to! Any ideas on why this is happening?

• @axier: well done, all fine. doing so you should grade the footage later on (contrast, colors). nostalgic gives a yellowish-greenish tint, which you can remove in postproduction if desired. i have created great results using exactly your settings. sometimes i find it useful to denoise some material later on which also removes/improves some of the 8-bit-avchd color banding.

• What you would use for your recording profiles with Santy? Viewing video tutorials, say that it is best to find a flat profile. I've recorded using soft modes and nostalgic at 24p. And all parameters to -2. What is your experience?