Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • @islanders66 - How will Sanity hold up in post compared to other patches?

It's as good as anything I've seen on the GH2.

• @Ebacherville - I assume spanning working by above posts insinuating it, and is EXT tele-conversion working?

Spanning works in the modes I listed in the first post. ETC works in all modes. However, ETC and spanning don't work together. The one exception is 720P. That does work with spanning and ETC at the same time.

• @Ralph_B

"unfortunately I get write speed errors on SanDisk 95MB/s (32GB) in HBR mode (PAL)"

-> "Try an ordinary class 10 card"

The same with SanDisk 30MB/s

• @towi I don't know what to say.

Is anybody else having problems with HBR in PAL?

• @Ralph_B

what do these timer limit settings do? do you think I can just uncheck them?

• @towi Hey, try anything. I have no idea why it's not working for you. During my tests I successfully recorded a 4GB clip in HBR PAL at iso 12800 in ETC mode with a Panasonic lens attached. That's a most severe test.

• strange. My camera crashes on a simple death chart at ISO400 (Zeiss 2.0/50).

• Working great for me on a Transcend class 10 16gb card. Here's an example with some grading:

Thanks Ralph!

• @tcarretti That black Promist is very effective. You've convinced me to get it! What grade is it?

• It's a Tiffen black promist 1/2.

It's a 58mm filter so I'm using it with a 46-58 step up ring.

It's actually a pretty close look to my 24mm f2.8 Canon FD. In fact, I should do a side by side to see how different they look. Wish I had more spare time!

• The promist on the 20mm does look good to my eye too, would it be posible to add the Sedna C matrix to Sanity without compromising it's stability, Any thoughts?

• Really liking this patch, in a few basic tests I'm finding it holds up more detail than both Cake 2.0 and Flowmotion, and for those without the ultra fast cards its the best I've used so far, in all modes.

Cheers!

• @matthere I tried the Sedna matrix (and others) with Sanity 4 and did not like it. The problem is you gain something in one area, but lose something in another area. I concluded that the stock matrix is an excellent balance.

• couple of times write error on Transcend 64 gig type 10 card. HBR 25

• Thanks Ralph :) that's good to know.

• @olegkalyan and @towi

I've managed to reproduce the problem and am working on a solution. Thanks for the reports.

• Thanks again ralph for the update. i have noticed 720p bitrates are alot lower than your older version. is this due to you getting b frames to work on the new patch? i was getting consistend 40Mb day and low light footage on the older version, everything seems to hover around the high 20's on this one in the day. 720 IQ is the same still?

• @MRfanny With B-frames on, the codec interprets the scene differenly. Sometimes the bitrate is less, sometimes it's more. Overall though, B-frames helps the codec operate more efficiently. I did a lot of testing and found no loss of image quality with B-frames on.

• Anyone try this on a GF2?

I have a GH2.. hacked with 42mbps and love it.. may use this patch.. because its got to be reliable..

Got my wife a GF2 and she decided to not keep it and use her old Nikon d5000 as her still camera (not into video) Debating on hacking it as a B cam.. thoughts anyone?

• I'm making good progress with fixing the reliability of the PAL Sanity. Should have an update soon.

• If I use the hbr setting, pal, and a shutter of 1/50 the video seems less than smooth? however, if I use 1080i and 1/50 its like butter? very very smooth. Should I be using 1/100 for hbr, only I thought it was 25p?

• 1080i will always look "smoother" (your word) than 25p with motion in both videos. Only use 1/100 for HBR if you intend to use it for slowmo. Otherwise 1/50 is the correct shutter for most applications.

• You are recording more temporal resolution on the cost of loosing spatial (vertical) resolution with 1080i50 vs. 1080p25. Choose your poison ;-)

• Well, I have to say, the sanity 1080i looks mighty fine at 32mb and can be panned around very smoothly, maybe its my technique but the the hbr seems to have a judder, that's all. Many thanks for the "sanity" check on shutter speeds!

• Adventsam, that's all that matters, if you're happy then that's the one for you. Billions of TV viewers will agree with you :-)