Personal View site logo
4K Black Magic Production Camera, raw, $2495 now
  • 330 Replies sorted by
  • @fatpig Quote: I suggested to buy this cam for film university today, and our, well, mostly slightly uninformed technician, who makes decisions sadly, said: "we cant use it. global shutter produces trails"

Trails were produced by cameras with tube sensors when panning through a light source. If you look at some 80's music videos with video footage (concert footage) you can see it. Or any live sporting event from the 70s-early 80's. By the 90's CCD technology replaced the tubes and voila, no more trails. I haven't seen them since in a camera. He's must be an old timer (and maybe a bit lazy too?) :-)

• "Stupid" is the word you're trying to think of...:)

• and our, well, mostly slightly uninformed technician, who makes decisions sadly, said: "we cant use it. global shutter produces trails"

This is why I don't entertain the "I have X-years of experience" argument and don't listen to anyone in the entertainment industry at all. It doesn't mean you're infallible or even good at your job. It just means "you've had a job". That's it. Especially in today's world of special-treatments, diversity quotas, nepotism, favoritism, bla bla bla... who the hell can you even trust to actually be "good" at their job anymore?

• yeah absolutely. I once had such a fucktard trying to pin the blame on me when the film i made seemed stretched when playing back on his machine. How he managed to stay employed is beyond anyone's imagination.

• Got to play with it today. Global shutter is nice. There's lag between the cam and the outboard monitor, but the 4K looks beautiful. It's still in alpha mode - a lot of features not yet working.

Won't get my money until it's a different mount system. Discussed MFT with them. They're thinking PL. Argued the universality of MFT and all it's adapters. We'll see what happens.

Asked how they got global shutter on it and yet still rolling shutter on BMCC and BMPCC...

"We sacrificed the DR"

How much?

"It's only got 12 stops."

I blinked: "It's really that simple? Then why not give users a choice - put both in all the cams, and then let user choose per shot/project whether they want the [full range and rolling Shutter] or [12 stops and Global]?

• I got a shrug in response.

So I figure it's possible, and maybe one day coming... Or not. hard to tell with these guys.

But I will say this. They seem genuinely interested in putting awesome cameras within reach of low budget shooters.

• @shian No footage available?

• @shian

I think they see you in their sleep whole year already :-)

• I'm haunted by Shian, Vitaily, Driftwood, etc. in my dreams all the time, pointing out where I've tripped up in my latest project ;-)

In all seriousness, though . . . if this camera were to come out in M4/3 or a similar short FFD mount, I'd be virtually forced to buy it. I have a design for a unique adapter that incorporates an ND filter, and that'd basically complete the cam as full-featured.

• Why does everyone think I'm so scary? I'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet.... until you do something stupid. :)

• ...well....your avatar does look like you're cussin somebody out. ...I'm just sayin...lol

• cuz somebody did sumpin' stupid!!!

• You're not scary, nor do you come across that way. But when I do something incorrectly . . . y'all know. You just know. I can feel it. Like you're watching. ;-)

• saw the 4k cam at BMD day in NYC. It was a protype, locked at 400 asa, with a green/blue cast in the image. Still lots of work to do there. The global shutter lioked good, I didn't see any signs if moire. They said it'll be ready in a few weeks, but, the people on the floor didn't have answers to a lot of questions.

They also screened a video shot by one river media at NAB of Grant Petty saying a lossless AND visually lossless (lossy) cinemaDNG codec would be integrated into the firmware. Afterwards it maybe applied to the CC & PC.

• The long version of that interview is here. I didn't see it posted in this thread, so it maybe new to some people:

• http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12192

so called update and explaining shipping delay. I am waiting for fanboys to applaud "Thanks Grant"

It's getting more and more obvious that the company can't cope with camera manufactoring.

• @peaceonearth

Every time you become upset with BM think about Digital Bolex hipsters, and you'll feel much better.

• I didnt take the Bolex thing serious from the beginning.

• 4K Cine Camera with active MFT mount is on the horizon. Active mount means you will have full electronic control on lenses

http://www.slashcam.de/news/single/Blackmagics--kommende-Ueberraschungen-10854.html

• I am not seeing that. "Richard Lim speaks very clearly that even the 2.5 K model could get an active MFT mount."

• @Jspatz

Do not worry. BM was always "good" with message time and marketing result :-).

• 11 stops, mmmm not 12 anymore? Soon it will be 10.5 for real :-P

• My bet is that the "tuning sensor delay" is according to this deception on dynamic range field. It's not that small loss for a global shutter. They gave up trying to set it up with 12stops, now they are trying hard to get at least 11.

• It defeats the idea of cinematic prone by Black magic with the 13 stop BMC.

• Well this 11 stops bit certainly is swaying me back on the see saw again....I'm a stones throw from switching my pre-order/pre-purchase to a passive mount MFT version of BMCC... but my gut (aka my empty wallet) tells me- Just get the pocket you ordered for now and wait for the inevitable active MFT because then you'll at least have a b-cam for tight spots and the ultimate jello cam for the rest.