Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • I was just notified that my BMPCC has shipped from Adorama. I placed my order on April 8th.

• There is some kind of ghosting on any fast moving subjects. Still or minimal movement shots look great.. But it seems the cam cannot handle a lot of motion. I hope this is simply down to people using the wrong shutter speed for the respective shot..

• I have mentioned this shutter speed problem before. In 99% of the BMPCC videos I have seen so far the shutter speed seems set wrong. This actually might be the case in most of the examples but I would assume by now most people would be shooting at 180 degrees to get the 1/50 filmic look. If they are then there is something not right as the motion and/or blur doesn't look right at all..

• Yep, saw that too. BETA testers we are!!! :)

• @vicharris Oh, I see you've been talking to Note on Vimeo :)

From the BMPCC owner:

"I think my cam might have a shutter speed bug."

• @vicharris Really?? The movement looked so video-y. Wonder what the issue was... My eyes??? :)

• Solid reds and skin tones...

• Seemed noisy? It is noisy. That's what this camera is. Better than all that smeared, codec smoothed 8-bit crap we're used :-).

• @double_vision

Color looks great! :) Sharpness looks great... with some of the lenses he used ;)

Everything looks like it was shot with an open shutter to me though (I don't like that, but that's all a matter of taste now, I suppose)

• I think this one is also very nice!

• Agree... nice! :)

• @lmackreath

Thanks for posting. I don't know. This might be the first video that's made me start to slightly regret canceling my pre-order.

• Phillip blooms footage from the bmpcc

Nicely shot.. Best footage I have seen... Still not blown away by the quality though..

• Stumbled upon this and I though i'd post it - could be useful for some. It calculates the crop factor with different lens on the bmpcc:

http://bmpcc.rubenkremer.nl/

• They are only low light to the point where the extra stop or two of latitude in the lows makes it so ISO 800 on the BMCC and BMPCC can reach into the darks as much as say a GH2 at ISO 1600-3200.

• These aren't low light cameras. If you want that, you should know a S16 sensor is not going to be clean at night with zero extra lighting.

• Seemed kinda noisy. Did BMCC have the same low light performance?

• BMPCC and Nokton 25mm 0.95:

• @TGDude Didn't know the filmmaking community had a spokesperson.

I think search engines and lurkers will find this thread just fine despite Kholi using BV1/BPC.

• Hey there guys, I downloaded John Brawleys' Ravens proRES HQ 6 video files - thank U mr. - available from his website/blog just to fool around with them... as if I knew what I was doing. Must say I had a calibrated nothing, did it all with the usual quick&dirty style and just for the fun used and abused of everything I felt like. Also I used @TrakZillas ' grandmother grain recipe ;-)

Though I did it 4 myself, thought of sharing the botched job jajaj, who knows I may learn something... thick scull you know?!!
    As hard as I tried I am unable to embed video here, so I'll just paste a link BMPCC_jb_ravens_grade-test

small screen grabs

• @kholi

On behalf of the entire online filmmaking community... what will it take for you to stop saying "BV1" and "BPC"? :) lol, seriously bro, you're a helpful guy and all... but those abbreviations are confusing and not even logical, considering the full name of all of the BMD cameras. Since I'm familiar with the different forums, I know what you're talking about, but noobs and lurkers must think that BV1 is some new camera that only you have.

The rest of the world is using the logical abbreviations, BMCC, BMPCC, BMPC4K. Not that hard to add another 1, 2 or 3 characters to your abbreviation for clarity's sake. :) Plus, it's better for search engines.

• @vicharris

Yes, vari-ND´s inevitably produce artifacts but it´s up to each and everyone to determine what´s important in any given situation.. I fully agree on awareness re: softening factor on tests / reviews however, I take most of this stuff with a fistful of salt (and I think it´s wise of others to do the same for now). I feel the bmc and I have no doubt I will feel the pocket cam when I get to use it.. It sometimes seems like some people have too little to do, so they worry about all kinds of more or less irrelevant stuff.

Though a topic on ND´s, IRND´s and Hot mirrors e.t.c. is relevant for more than one camera.. On topic? Well, sort of, but it also warrants its own discussion as a good future resource.

One thing which strikes me is how many don´t seem to notice the flaws in the lenses that have been used in a lot of the test footage from the pocket cam so far.. A lot of the talk about softness comes from that, I believe. I really would like to endorse Nomad´s thread on lens tests for the pocket cam for that reason. We need more of that; structured testing and less of ordinary, everyday footage (after all, we know how this cam is going to look, more or less, from the 2.5k / full sensor version. If you like the look of the bmc, you most likely will like the look of the pocket cam. What is uncertain, is which lenses will be a good fit. (and that is something a potential buyer can find really useful)

• That should be Water White, by the way. I always get it backward =B Hur