Personal View site logo
25p official topic, aka Don't cry for me Argentina
  • 236 Replies sorted by
  • I _think_ I know what's going on - 1080i has no sharpening enabled.

Check the attached screengrabs (sharp -2):

1 = 1080/24p
    2 = 1080/60i (fields woven)

60i looks lower-res right? Except I don't think so:

3 = same as 2, but with Unsharp masking applied in Photoshop (90%, 0.5pixel). Looks almost identical right?

Ever since the recent PTool bitrate advances, I've been loving the extra quality, but found the image too sharp. Even with -2 the image is still being sharpened. I suspect the in-camera sharpening only works on progressive images, and/or requires too much processing power for the high fps modes, so they just disable it. (the vertical aspect weirdness might be due a subtle timing difference in the interlaced sensor setup, or some bug they can fix).

So the interlaced modes could be showing us what the sensor actually outputs. (either way I really hope 24p sharpening can be completely disabled in a future hack as it's just too harsh now with all the extra bitrate).

24p.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    60i.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    60i_sharpened.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @_gl

For me the problem with the 50i on the GH2 is more noticeable not on static shots, but when there is movement. Old fashioned type interlacing artefacts...not a problem on GH1's PsF which I use all the time since it's more stable than enabling 25p. Also PsF is so easy to de-interlace in most NLE's.

Even if Pana didn't give us 25p...why not at least PsF? Maybe in new Firmware which is coming soon...
  • > Old fashioned type interlacing artefacts

@Skeptikal sure, but that's because it's an interlaced mode : ). It's not a defect specific to the GH2 implementation (except that we all want interlaced to die die die already).

'PsF' = true 25p 'wrapped' in 50i, so yeah that would be fine.
  • I posted a question to the QA at http://ifa.panasonic.eu/en

My question was: ”I understand that a new firmware release for GH2 will be released supporting the features in the X-lenses. Will also 25p be supported?”

The new firmware was kind of confirmed. As I understand it that firmware will probably not include 25p, but they left an opening for support in a firmware later on.

You can se the answer her: http://ifa.panasonic.eu/en?questionid=q_1315231134248
  • That answer doesn't suggest 25p is coming anytime soon
  • Let's write PETITION! Let realize 25p!!!
  • @mrbill On the other hand, it does NOT say it won't come.
    "We should keep our fingers crossed!" ... "one day may be" I would not have said that if nothing was going on.
  • Anyone else had this? When I tick the conversion from 50fps to 25fps in ptools the video, as transferred within final cut pro, is in slow motion, while the audio is at normal speed. If I use aunsoft to convert instead it's OK, though audio about 3 frames out of sync. If I just up the 720p bit rate and don't check the conversion to 25p the footage is normal speed when transferred with fcp. It's probably been mentioned before but can't find it with search.
  • i live in PAL land, and much though I wish to see 25p become a reality on the GH2, my guess is that Pana will not put it in the upcoming patch. Why should they? They know of the hack, and the possibility of shooting AF102 in the foot if they make GH2 25p.
  • i think vitaliy will understand the hint... "left an opening for support" :)
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev 'checking' the 1080 progressive patch in Patches for Testers, 60i correctly converts to 29.97fps without problems on recordings. The 50i (still) dies at 1 second into the recording. Are there any other pointers do you have which could help resolve before I begin my marathon test thru of all the settings?
  • @Tomaso Of course he isn't going to deny the possibility of 25p; that would hurt sales, as there's still a (probably false) glimmer of hope for having 25p on the GH2. If he denied it flatly, he'd squash that hope.

I reckon that they'll play the "maybe" game long enough to fill the time until the GH3 comes out, which I bet will include 25p from the start. I highly doubt that the GH2 will EVER get 25p for this reason.
  • Could someone test something for me. Can you put Encoder Setting 1 720p = 1 and Encoder Setting 2 720p = 1 (I know it sounds odd) and load the firmware. Record a 1080i FSH recording and tell me if its 25p or 25p in a 50 wrapper. thnks
    As in
    GOP 1 25p or 25p in a wrapper.png
    1263 x 675 - 69K
    GOP 12 25p or 25p in a wrapper.png
    1294 x 680 - 86K
    GOP 12 25p or 25p in a wrapper - elecard says this is 25p.png
    1499 x 866 - 270K
  • @cbrandin Hmmm we only see the 25H native hack in GOP1
  • Hi, I've been lurking around the forum a while but never got to hack my gh2 due to the lack of 25p and the bad outlooks for ever getting it. So I just used my gh2 as a photocam for what I like it (mostly for the 4:3 image proportion). From what I gather in driftwood's posts there is an unexpected possibility to get the gh2 to record in 25p? Is there an ini file that could be shared? I am happy to report my results.
  • @kodakmoment it wa a false positive. still working on it. it doesnt look good so far... but you never know...
  • bummer. Is there a good and especially stable 50i setting?
  • Yes GOP1 50p and 50i - passed the chart tests I'm just trying to fix 60p (60i is good)
  • @driftwood aha. is there an ini file for it or how do I make the settings?
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev In your 1080 Progressive setting in patches for testers, what exactly have you done - an attempt to fix 25p / a rewritten sensor setup mode?
  • @driftwood

It changes many things.
    On encoder side it produces good progressive video.
    But sensor mode is 50i, so it shows just half os the frame containing each 2nd line.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev ok. So in theory, all your changes are correct bar the 25 sensor mode simply isnt there... ie taken out / just not possible Panny's end?
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Can you guarantee me that Encoder Settings 1 to 4 for 720p are indeed directed at settings for 720p only? And the defaults for 720p are right?
  • If the 25p mode of the sensor is missing, what about 50p?