Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @smsjr here, here

@QuinEtiam As mentioned in that other forum thread - it would be shocking if it was as good as the 1DX. The 1DX is almost 7 (seven) times the price of the BMPCC. I'm sure Red cameras, Alexa cameras, and Sony F65 wipes the floor with it too. You can keep dreaming your camcorder has a shot against the BMPCC though..

• If the low light on it is better than anything else under $2k I just may get one.

It's early in the game, maybe there will be a comeback.

• @quinetiam

what does he mean by this?

• @QuinEtiam

Please keep all posts strictly on topic, without going into strange statements.

• @eatstoomuchjam

Did I say anything negative about the camera footage? No. In fact I am anxiously awaiting its widespread release. I am not necessarily going to buy it myself because like others have said I shoot different types of footage than what it is designed for. The scenes I shoot rarely have much dynamic range because they are all in evenly lit but dark indoor places.

However, that doesn't mean that I don't want to see what this thing can do for those who need it. I just thought it would be ironic if someone who doesn't need that dynamic range with $1K to spend decided to buy it and ended up with the first one.

In the right hands this camera will be very good. In the wrong hands it could get a very poor reputation very quickly.

• @smsjr 1+ @QuinEtiam 1)get a time machine 2)go forward and 3)read as many positive ones as you need ;)

in alternative: 1)chill 2)give it some time ;)

• After reading some comments about sharpness, I wanted to play with some relatively heavy post sharpening on saturated footage to see how it stands up. What I found this time around:

Personally, I love the sample footage I've seen coming out of this camera and will likely choose BMPCC over my GH2 most of the time.

• Anybody has another link somewhere? I got "This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!" . Can some nice guy with a fast up connection re upload it? And yes, how big is this file anyway?

• @luxis

It's over 2GB, don't know by how much.

Even one frame per clip would be great, if somebody's willing to upload them.

• The sensor is bad, causing focus shift and the highlights are blown out.

• @jrd some screen grabs of the sample footage (one each)

G008_1_2013-07-27_1514_C0001-(00110).png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    G008_1_2013-07-27_1645_C0005-(00091).png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    G008_1_2013-07-27_1646_C0007-(00052).png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • The good news is this clip is not from a BMPCC.

• @QuinEtiam The problem is, this is obvious trolling. More subtlety and it would stand a better chance as coming off as legitimate observation.

Vitaliy?

• @QuinEtiam Seriously? What is it from?

• @JuMo thanks! That is the original footage used for the frame grabs ,right? I don't see banding in the freakin' sky!!! That's enough for me to be convinced ;) oh and the grain is nice. As far as the blown out highlights...the gh2 would do (much?) worse.

• @mpgxsvcd My point was that it's extremely arrogant to make snide comments about who does and does not need a camera - almost as bad as declaring a camera dead on arrival on the basis that there aren't a bunch of internet test videos before it gets into the hands of consumers.

• Yup, looks pretty darn good. The lens used gives some distortion, but I would probably not use it for wide shots anyway.

• it's from a JVC hm600u

• @luxis No problem man. Original footage all the way, frames saved from AE as TIFF (8mb each), then I converted to PNG-24 in photoshop CS5.5. in regards to noise: I found the noise in the sample footage to be less nice and grainy than the 2.5k Blackmagic cams. It's certainly acceptable for some situations, but I found the chroma noise was pretty high in the mid-darks, it becomes much more noticeable when saturation is boosted. Still an absolutely amazing image for a thousand dollars. And I was pleased to find out the noise cleans up SUPER well with Neatvideo.

• @JuMo Good to know. Is there any info on the iso used?

• Here's a mirror for the Prores files from Voldemort's Castle:

https://www.copy.com/s/a3Ye8xLctRNy/pocket%20public.zip

• @matthere thanks! that was fast. Btw where is the original post of J.B.?

• @luxis Not that I've read. Judging by the fact that it's a day shoot, we could assume it's as low as possible, but that's no guarantee. As far as I know there wasn't a corresponding post to these files (yet).