Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @smsjr here, here

@QuinEtiam As mentioned in that other forum thread - it would be shocking if it was as good as the 1DX. The 1DX is almost 7 (seven) times the price of the BMPCC. I'm sure Red cameras, Alexa cameras, and Sony F65 wipes the floor with it too. You can keep dreaming your camcorder has a shot against the BMPCC though..

• If the low light on it is better than anything else under $2k I just may get one.

It's early in the game, maybe there will be a comeback.

• @quinetiam

what does he mean by this?

• @QuinEtiam

Please keep all posts strictly on topic, without going into strange statements.

• @eatstoomuchjam

Did I say anything negative about the camera footage? No. In fact I am anxiously awaiting its widespread release. I am not necessarily going to buy it myself because like others have said I shoot different types of footage than what it is designed for. The scenes I shoot rarely have much dynamic range because they are all in evenly lit but dark indoor places.

However, that doesn't mean that I don't want to see what this thing can do for those who need it. I just thought it would be ironic if someone who doesn't need that dynamic range with $1K to spend decided to buy it and ended up with the first one.

In the right hands this camera will be very good. In the wrong hands it could get a very poor reputation very quickly.

• @smsjr 1+ @QuinEtiam 1)get a time machine 2)go forward and 3)read as many positive ones as you need ;)

in alternative: 1)chill 2)give it some time ;)

• After reading some comments about sharpness, I wanted to play with some relatively heavy post sharpening on saturated footage to see how it stands up. What I found this time around:

Personally, I love the sample footage I've seen coming out of this camera and will likely choose BMPCC over my GH2 most of the time.

• Anybody has another link somewhere? I got "This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!" . Can some nice guy with a fast up connection re upload it? And yes, how big is this file anyway?

• @luxis

It's over 2GB, don't know by how much.

Even one frame per clip would be great, if somebody's willing to upload them.

• The sensor is bad, causing focus shift and the highlights are blown out.

• @jrd some screen grabs of the sample footage (one each)

G008_1_2013-07-27_1514_C0001-(00110).png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    G008_1_2013-07-27_1645_C0005-(00091).png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    G008_1_2013-07-27_1646_C0007-(00052).png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • The good news is this clip is not from a BMPCC.

• @QuinEtiam The problem is, this is obvious trolling. More subtlety and it would stand a better chance as coming off as legitimate observation.

Vitaliy?

• @QuinEtiam Seriously? What is it from?

• @JuMo thanks! That is the original footage used for the frame grabs ,right? I don't see banding in the freakin' sky!!! That's enough for me to be convinced ;) oh and the grain is nice. As far as the blown out highlights...the gh2 would do (much?) worse.

• @mpgxsvcd My point was that it's extremely arrogant to make snide comments about who does and does not need a camera - almost as bad as declaring a camera dead on arrival on the basis that there aren't a bunch of internet test videos before it gets into the hands of consumers.

• Yup, looks pretty darn good. The lens used gives some distortion, but I would probably not use it for wide shots anyway.

• it's from a JVC hm600u

• @luxis No problem man. Original footage all the way, frames saved from AE as TIFF (8mb each), then I converted to PNG-24 in photoshop CS5.5. in regards to noise: I found the noise in the sample footage to be less nice and grainy than the 2.5k Blackmagic cams. It's certainly acceptable for some situations, but I found the chroma noise was pretty high in the mid-darks, it becomes much more noticeable when saturation is boosted. Still an absolutely amazing image for a thousand dollars. And I was pleased to find out the noise cleans up SUPER well with Neatvideo.

• @JuMo Good to know. Is there any info on the iso used?

• Here's a mirror for the Prores files from Voldemort's Castle:

https://www.copy.com/s/a3Ye8xLctRNy/pocket%20public.zip

• @matthere thanks! that was fast. Btw where is the original post of J.B.?

• @luxis Not that I've read. Judging by the fact that it's a day shoot, we could assume it's as low as possible, but that's no guarantee. As far as I know there wasn't a corresponding post to these files (yet).