Personal View site logo
Cluster X: Series 1 - moon - ЅріzZ - nebula - drewnet - Slipstream
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • Ungraded test on Cluster X Series: 'Moon' trial 4, with the Canon FD 24mm f/2.8. Most shots at f/2.8 @720 50p, also handheld, sorry about that! Standard profile settings -1,-1,0,-1.

• shot with nebula t6 in Ex tele and Angenieux lens

• I checked cluster x drewnet trial 7 on sandisk 16GB 45mb/s both 24H and 24L doesnt span. But the IQ is Great:)

• *** NEWS ****

I require opinions on DREWnet 12/15 GOP Trial 8 (just released) over Trial 7. Which do you like best? The new Trial 8 uses Nebula's hi quality matrix and dictates the actual bitrate and buffer size based off the rate control of the QP setting, scaling matrices and required bitrate, etc... Subsequently, ptools' Bitrate Settings for Testers inc. High Top High Bottom, Low Top, Low Bottom etc... are no longer employed. All confusing to most but give it a try. Also 80% mode should work without problems on the H (High setting). No need to use L modes if you want best quality.

Finally, Nebula Trial 6 (jeez the 24p in this setting is stonking!) has been slightly amended after @towi discovered HBR25p wasn't 100% stable all the time. A new GOP Related setting for HBR/FSH25/50 has been adjusted for this mode and released as Trial 6b. Now everything just works! Killer 24pH and L (inc. 80% mode on H), plus iA mode compatible 720pSH/FSH1080i modes.

I know it doesnt count for much in terms of HVS (Human Visual System of Perception) but the PSNR signal to noise ratio is dramatically improved for both DREWnet and Nebula especially in 1080p24 modes.

UPDATE: A new SpiZZ Trial 5 - GOP3 has just been released. Let @bkmcwd know how it compares to Trial 4. More improvements from him shortly. Insane quality settings.

Enjoy!

Stabilisation and improvements of moon to come next.

• @JeffGibbsTC Its Done,, check out,, but it has both Intravenus II , Cluster x moon Trial 3

• @driftwood - Hey, I have been extremely impressed with the quality of my Cluster X DREWnet trial 5 - I've only been playing with these hacks about a month, and so far really enjoy them!

Last night i plugged in the "Trial 8" ver. of the same name and noticed my recording time in 1080 24H dropped from about 1.5Hrs (on Trial 5) to less than 57min. with Trial 8 - using the Sandisk 64gb 95mbps card. Curious if this was normal? Also noticed that on 1080 24L - record time jumps over 2hrs... seems like a big leap. Is there really that much more data from 24H? This stuff is amazing!

Thanks again!

• @rajamalik What's Intravenus II Cluster x Trial 3?

• @ryanjbush Yep, Cluster X Trial 8 now offers even not-so-busy filming scenes incredible quant and subsequently utilises maximum bandwidth for the encoder. Cluster X series have pushed the envelope to the maximum - which is where we wanted to get to first and foremost - quality wins over spanning in my opinion. However, with the right sd card you can achieve both. Glad youre enjoying the latest settings.

• @driftwood I'm shooting a promo for a $280,000 Aston Martin tomorrow and all these damn hacks are killing me on what to use. I know it will be full of slider and panning shots, maybe even some in car driving shots doing handheld on the PCH. I'm thinking Drewnet just to play it safe but love the gradeablitly of Moon. Should I stick with Drewnet and 720/60p, being able to slow it down or render it to 30p? If Moon will play nice in motion shots then I'll just stick with that. Thanks any help.

• @vicharris What lens(s) are you using? I've had trouble with moon in 720P using auto lenses...especially the 14-140. OTOH, it behaves like a lamb with primes.

• @peternap Good question. I was going to use Rokinon Primes, a Tokina 12-24 for exteriors and possibly the Pany 14-140 for my in car driving stuff since it has image stabilization. What problems have you been running into with Moon? I might just use Drewnet and play it safe.

• What's going on with the whole top left corner of this shot and the under side of the dock in the final shot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=czciQlIE_hY#t=35s

• @rajamalik the test looked fucking nice.

• @vicharris Mostly not spanning but day before yesterday with moon 5 and the 14-140 on a steady cam, I got card errors like I've never gotten before. The card was a Sandisk 64 gig 95...and granted it was bright and a lot of detail along with me floundering around with the steadycam...but it would NOT record.

I'd get a card error as soon as I moved. Happened a half dozen times before I switched to 24P and didn't have another problem.

OTOH, last night I did the same thing with a Rokinian 7.5 in 720P and got the best lowlight video I've ever gotten and not a single card problem.

Spanning aside, I haven't had any problems with my Rokinian 24mm or 80. It does fine with primes.

• @peternap Damn, I spent the whole day testing Drewnet 8 that I totally spaced and forgot to check high movement in bright light with moon at 720/60. Maybe I'll load on camera up with Moon and one with Drewnet and see what happens as soon as I get to set. Thanks for the info!

• @vicharris Good Luck! I'm going to try Drewnet 8 tomorrow. I love the way Moon grades but my GH3 will be here any day and reading Nick's description, it looks like Drewnet may cut in better with it.

• @peternap, thanks man. I was at Samys today and had my hands on a GH3, almost pulled the trigger for the shoot tomorrow!

• @vicharris Few shots are from cluster X trial 3 and few from Intravenus II CMM,,, you can see screen grab from each thread and differentiate .

• Ahhhhh, Got it.

• Not having much luck with moon in low light scenarios. I am seeing quite a bit of noise. I have been using Canis Majoris until now and it looked beautiful in low light. Any suggestions what to try for low light ?

• Hey guys, I was about to shoot a music video for a band with my gh2 hacked with Drewnet Trial 7 when i noticed a lot of ''mushy black action'' going on in the dark areas of the frame. So I took out my t2i to compare. After seeing this I chose the t2i because I didn't have time to test furthermore. Isn't it Drewnet supposed to be the best image quality?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

• Have been doing an indoor low light test with Moon trial3 and 5. Setup: Canon fd2.8, not wide open, because that way its softer than popcorn, at iso 1250 and 24p, 24H. It spanned for more than 19 Minutes on a sandisk 32gig 45mbps until i stopped. No write errors or whatsoever (actually never had one with this card, not even Sedna AQ1 A outdoor maxdetail). There was not too much detail, so i guess spanning might not work with this card when i shoot with more stuff happening. Footage looks good, not too much noise.

@uninexus: canis majoris night is still the best setting for lowlight scenario i reckon. But you can remove the noise out of Moon footage very easy in my (humble) experience.

• @antoine27 ISO 320, I thought that is what we're all supposed to stay away from as much as possible. Heard it's noisy.

• @vicharris just wanted to make sure you had done a low level format with your SD cards using sdformatter and you were using sandisk extreme pro extreme 95. With that combination, I've never, ever had any problems with moon, including with panny lenses on steadicam at 720p60. Hope that helps.

• @Mirrorkisser any alternatives for NEATVIDEO?? i am using fcpx and i would like to take moon for a night ride (horror scene) do u know any alternative for neat video?? just for fcpx??

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters