Personal View site logo
US: Stores closings - road to hell
  • 160 Replies sorted by
  • "66 Bottom Dollar Food" I think they were bought out. They opened a new store in my town and it closed due to the buy out within 9 months. According to Wikipedia, they were bought by Aldi and will reopen 30 locations as Aldi and flip or sublet the rest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_Dollar_Food

• 2015 and up store closings

• 180 Abercrombie & Fitch (by 2015)
    • 75 Aeropostale (through January 2015)
    • 150 American Eagle Outfitters (through 2017)
    • 223 Barnes & Noble (through 2023)
    • 265 Body Central / Body Shop
    • 66 Bottom Dollar Food
    • 25 Build-A-Bear (through 2015)
    • 32 C. Wonder
    • 21 Cache
    • 120 Chico’s (through 2017)
    • 200 Children’s Place (through 2017)
    • 17 Christopher & Banks
    • 70 Coach (fiscal 2015)
    • 70 Coco’s /Carrows
    • 300 Deb Shops
    • 92 Delia’s
    • 340 Dollar Tree/Family Dollar
    • 39 Einstein Bros. Bagels
    • 50 Express (through 2015)
    • 31 Frederick’s of Hollywood
    • 50 Fresh & Easy Grocey Stores
    • 14 Friendly’s
    • 65 Future Shop (Best Buy Canada)
    • 54 Golf Galaxy (by 2016)
    • 50 Guess (through 2015)
    • 26 Gymboree
    • 40 JCPenney
    • 127 Jones New York Outlet
    • 10 Just Baked
    • 28 Kate Spade Saturday & Jack Spade
    • 14 Macy’s
    • 400 Office Depot/Office Max (by 2016)
    • 63 Pep Boys (“in the coming years”)
    • 100 Pier One (by 2017)
    • 20 Pick ’n Save (by 2017)
    • 1,784 Radio Shack
    • 13 Ruby Tuesday
    • 77 Sears
    • 10 SpartanNash Grocery Stores ** 55 Staples (2015)
    • 133 Target, Canada (bankruptcy)
    • 31 Tiger Direct
    • 200 Walgreens (by 2017)
    • 10 West Marine
    • 338 Wet Seal

http://retailindustry.about.com/od/USRetailStoreClosingInfoFAQs/fl/All-2015-Store-Closings-Stores-Closed-by-US-Retail-Industry-Chains_4.htm

• buying a not-overpriced parcel of land is usually best idea.

So true. So old age. You must be over 50 :D

Alcohol and cigarettes are best money replacement for trade in the crisis

Only where the crisis has made it difficult to source either.

• Some of these people are using gold and silver in their trades, but increasing numbers are using Bitcoins

People are making many very strange things :-)

Alcohol and cigarettes are best money replacement for trade in the crisis

This is much better proposal.

• @tetakpatak Except you never really own land, since here in the USA, there is property tax which in some states is up to 4%. I like the idea of investing in distillation technology.... moonshine never goes out of style, although it might incur the wrath of the revenuers... :-)

• @ahbleza buying a not-overpriced parcel of land is usually best idea. Alcohol and cigarettes are best money replacement for trade in the crisis

• So last weekend I met with many people who believe a crash is coming in the US economy (as part of making documentary about this.) Some of these people are using gold and silver in their trades, but increasing numbers are using Bitcoins. Does anyone here feel that Bitcoin could be a viable replacement for fiat currencies?

• What scares me is that we haven't hit bottom yet. It's been a slow motion crash for the last ten years.

+1
    IMO the sinking started long ago, big ships need longer time to sink. The global world economy was fatal error of the politics (and politicians) based on short term thinking.

Where we are now is nothing new, it is replay of the situation around 1900 when imperialism and monopolism destroyed world's economy.

Yet, ending of one means beginning of two- after the global economical crash of 2000ies humans can start again with preparing the next crash, likely in the 2100ies. Ha,ha,ha- homo sapiens is able to visit the shools and universities, but it is unable to learn.

• You've hit the nail on the head. The credit industry is out of hand here. It's just one aspect of the financial industry, which has grown to be a gigantic parasitic tumor. Nothing but greed.

Credit industry was temporary cure, do not work anymore. But worked as energy availability had been growing. If not credit it had been all over many years ago.

What scares me is that we haven't hit bottom yet. It's been a slow motion crash for the last ten years.

It won't be so slow motion as you think. SLow motion illusion is created because income is still pretty enough for all basic needs, as soon as value will hit basicneeds (income will be decreasing, cost of basic required products and services will be rising faster with each month) it'll become bad almost in instant.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev You've hit the nail on the head. The credit industry is out of hand here. It's just one aspect of the financial industry, which has grown to be a gigantic parasitic tumor. Nothing but greed.

I remember when I worked retail how we were pushed to sign people up for credit cards as a sales technique. I rarely had the heart to push the cards. I remember the few times that people tried they always seemed poor and ignorant. It seemed likely they'd never pay it off and were being fooled by low/zero short term interest rates. The stuff we sold wasn't essentials either, I always wanted to tell people: hell, don't buy this crap on credit. Get something cheaper that you can actually afford. Or buy your kid some clothes or food instead.

I actually did well in sales, but I couldn't stomach it. I could see that the bottom was all going to drop out soon.

What scares me is that we haven't hit bottom yet. It's been a slow motion crash for the last ten years.

Actually, I worked a few years at Ritz stores in college.

• Perhaps you are right. I think both factors are significant.

Socials shifts you are referring to is just attempt by elites to decrease impact of energy deficit. It won't work in the end, in fact, it will make things much worse. But right now they thing it can buy some time.

• Perhaps you are right. I think both factors are significant.

• @DouglasHorn

Most of this things is not about social shifts, but about of less actual income and higher costs required to run shops.

• Most of these reflect societal shifts. Americans now buy more books in e-book form than printed. They may be buying less overall. And when they do buy them, it's often through Amazon.com. Individuals are also paying more attention to their spending. Whether the Consumer Confidence Index is up or down, actual consumer confidence has changed and people just don't seem to view 'disposable income' in the same way they used to. It's unlikely these societal shift will reverse themselves and retailers are aligning themselves to this new reality.

• I am wondering when China will step in to stem the rot. May be when their dollar surplus reach 10 trillion :)

Barring B&N and Gamestop (edit: may be only to an extent of software), it is all China's loss ;)

• The shares fell 17 percent to $17.57 at the close in New York, the worst performer in the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index. J.C. Penney yesterday said its net loss in the quarter ended Feb. 2 widened to $552 million from $87 million a year earlier. The Plano, Texas-based retailer’s annual revenue slid 25 percent to $13 billion, the lowest since at least 1987.

Via: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-27/j-c-penney-posts-wider-fourth-quarter-net-loss.html

• Some retrospective of 2012:

76 USA Drug / Super D / Drug Warehouse / May's / Med-X

14 United Carpets

60 SuperValu (Albertson's / ACME / Save-A-Lot)

25 Sonic

172 Sears

24 Ruby Tuesday (Marlin & Ray’s, Wok Hay, Truffles Grill, Lime Fresh)

137 Ritz Camera & Image / Wolf Camera

120 Pacific Sunwear

25 Lane Bryant

600 Fashion Bug

113 Food Lion

12 Fred's

100 The Gap

93 Esprit

100 Family Dollar

30 Coldwater Creek

123 Collective Brands

500 Blockbuster

180 Abercrombie & Fitch

96 Avenue

• Wow, Penny's and Radio Shack - grew up on those places - back when they had mail order.

• What free money do they get from banks that brick and mortar business's cant get?

Keep level of discussion, here it is not flame place.
    I am referring to actual financial results and money this guys actually get.
    I am almost sure if you make research of B&M stores, you'll find that they also used big piles on money to cover their holes.

• Haha. Online sales tax coming soon!!! Of course higher sales tax rates. Oh don't forget about VAT.

Amazon tacks on Texas sales tax for my purchases. If they're an online entity with physical co-location within the state (I think that's how they differentiate) they have to tax the purchase. With so many big companies moving their financial headquarters here or support (like Apple for instance) I've pretty much just accepted the fact I'm going to pay sales tax no matter who or where I buy from.

• Nope, biggest online retailers work in deep minus if you cound real consumer goods. They get free money from banks and investors to finance deficits.

What free money do they get from banks that brick and mortar business's cant get?

So iTunes will crash and people will start buying CD's again? Personally i would like to see that but I'm not holding my breath. There are many products that will never go back to brick and mortar. Blockbuster Video rentals comes to mind.

• Not sure I follow what you mean. They are being as competitive as they can given the current market.

Nope, biggest online retailers work in deep minus if you cound real consumer goods. They get free money from banks and investors to finance deficits.

• Problem with biggest online US retailers is that as soon as free money float from banks and investors will stip whole construction will crash.

Not sure I follow what you mean. They are being as competitive as they can given the current market. Not sure how this makes them crash. When interest rates increase they increase for everybody, net and brick & mortar.

As to VAT, yes I am all for dismantling the IRS and going with a federal sales tax. The tax laws are riddled with loopholes given out as political favors. That's part of the reason that effort can't get any traction is because its one of the most powerful tools a politician has.

Imagine you have a bar or any business with a cash register. You go into the cash register at the end of the day and pull out a few hundred for yourself. There is a lot of unreported income out there without even mentioning illegal income. If your income is documented and above board you end up paying the difference. I am not suggesting that govt is efficient or doesn't need to be reduced, just that the means of collecting revenue is not applied equally.

• Of course VAT is not imposed. But there seems growing support. Tax more on those who can buy. Tough to argue with that.

About the online sales tax, yes some states do. And more states will do this year.

• Haha. Online sales tax coming soon!!!

Can you elaborate on your VAT remark, as for sales tax it exist in many states already.