Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • Just got mine in today. I ordered on 04/19 from coremicro. By this time next week I'll have all the accessories to actually make this thing work the way it was meant to. It's been quite a journey and it's nice to finally have one in my hands.

• Yei, I'm not the only one who whistles the essses I guess...it did sound natural to me. My bad.

Jokes aside, gosh...I'm not saying like "now our dslrs are shit" bla bla...but it's such a big difference, and it looks like lots of frustrations (and frustrated recordings) might be over with BMCC.

Looking forward to the MFT version...

Last info I got at BM forums is:

• BH and Adorama are the ones receiving most BMCC's. Adorama has shipped some cameras bought on January. That's fast...errrr or sth. I read Adorama's shipped 30+. BH still shipping June preorders.

• Blackmagic sends BMCC first to the resellers who first asked for them and also, who asked for more. So that's why Adorama and BH are getting them faster than smaller resellers (though sometimes, those can be better option).

• Europe doesn't exist. Biggest reseller in Europe, not even 10 BMCC received. They're receiving 1-2 per week now that Blackmagic is back again at full production...

If BMCC MFT version should be released after most EF preorders are satisfied, I guess I'm buying it with Spanish Pesetas again.

My only guess, is that being Adorama and BH the ones that receive most orders in the US, Adorama even from elsewhere, they satisfy quite a big demand. After satisfying preorders, and thinking that might happen around April...maybe then we have the MFT version announced for release (again).

NAB's making a lot of sense to me, maybe for announcement, maybe announcement is in March with NAB as a release date. Waiting after NAB might be a really bad decission. And 2055 is my guessing for the end of the world.

• He was demoing the effects of overcooking audio DR on the esSSeesssSS ;p

• that DR video was very hard to watch. He's worried about the DR clipping, I'm more worried about every "S" he spoke into the mic.

• Following the latest discussions, there seems to be shimming in both the camera and the Tokina. While nobody tried to take their camera apart, some users were successful by de-shimming their Tokina and it seems to work both on a Canon and the BMCC now.

• @nomad

I have some doubts on blaming Tokina here. All difference can be just how much each lens allow focusing past infinity.

BMCC issue can be, for example, not accounting for painting thickness or anodizing.

• I'm not sure if it's a QC issue on the BMCC, rather with the Tokina. Some samples work, some don't, some folks were at least able to adjust them.

I'm under the impression that BM is adhering precisely to the correct flange distance, while others allow a bit of leeway. On the Scarlet (where you could adjust back focus anyway) I can focus my Contax Zeiss lenses a tad past infinity, while they are dead on with the BMCC. The Tokina just about reaches infinity on the Scarlet and doesn't get focus on the BMCC below about 14mm. As we all know, back focus is more critical with wides.

So, while I think that it is not literally BM's fault, I'd rather have some leeway and loose a bit of MFD. The Tokina has great glass, but crappy mechanical precision. That's why there is a long list of folks waiting to get one re-housed to PL by Duclos.

• I've just now KIND OF got the raw workflow figured out and 2% of resolve figured out lol i'm in the process of uploading a edit with 3 clips right now.

• Hmmm, seems to be a QC issue then. @GravitateMediaGroup so when are you going to get off your ass and show us some footage?!! :)

• I had the infinity issue with the 14mm Rokinon when I rented an EF BMC. Stopped down, the results still looked fine but if you looked at 1:1 focus on the LCD you could see it wasn't quite hitting infinity.

• @vicharris

I use the rokinon 14mm with no issue, and I know another guy that uses the Tokina with no issue.

• Out of all lenses for this camera to have a problem with I believe wide angle and specifically the Tokina 11-16 which has turned into a workhorse, even for RED users, is a huge problem. You need a wide lens for this thing and for it to not focus, seems like a huge oversight by the company. I'm confused as to why this wasn't caught.

• Re: hurlbut.. why on earth not try and get an f55 for the comparison? Seems like a perfect specced cam for most shots one could think of, for such a film. No need for gopros. :-)

Re: infinity, yes - it was the same with my friend´s BMD when he tried the Tokina. Apparently it could be possible to modify the lenses slightly for infinity accomodation but this, to me seems like quite a detour to get a wide angle shot. Obviously, if you have a good shop nearby and don´t have to do the mod yourself (and can afford it) it should be no biggie.

• I read that this morning. Very unfortunate that the tokina 11-16 is one of the lenses effected.

They have quite long topics on official forum.

[Edited by VK]

• It looks like EF cameras have issue with infinity focus with some lenses that do not got slightly past infinity.

• Hurlbut will probably use the ALEXA + Canon 1DC+ GoPro Hero 3. Its a big budget Hollywood "fast and furious" cash in film.

Why even drag the other cams and especially Black Magic into this.

• love that picture @ahbleza. I can afford one of the things in that picture.....

• Christian Bale's favourite DP lol

• Now this looks like it will be an interesting comparison. Shane Hurlbut has begun a comparison of the following cameras, apparently to choose one (or two) for lensing the latest film on which he is DP, "Need for Speed":

• Sony F65
    • Sony F5
    • Arri Alexa
    • Red Epic
    • Canon 1DC
    • Canon C500
    • Black Magic
    • GoPro Hero 3
    • 35mm Film

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013/02/digital-cinematography/

I think my favorite image from the tests is the one below...

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/1lHWF.jpg

1lHWF.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 129K
  • finally got my BMCC today, well above retail price because i'm impatient and was sick of waiting. so far I have mixed opinions, but for it being their 1st attempt at a camera, they did a pretty damn good job. It's very simple and straight forward as far as the operating the camera.

Complaint #1 is bulky size and shape. handheld without a rig is pretty much out of the question.

Complaint #2 is no live view of adjusting WB, ISO, and shutter. I'm sure this will be fixed in the near future, and if you are shooting raw, those issues are kind of irrelevant.

Complaint #3 is no in camera clip delete (which again will be fixed in the future I'm sure) For a camera that swallows storage whole, you would think this should be a given.