Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • Judging by the number of regular people that has one I'd guess between 30 and 75 shipped.

• Somewhere in the range of 75-100, including showroom cameras and rental houses is what I'd wager.

Lots of people that aren't even on forums likely have them as well.

• 75 is really big number, as I guess that their planned capacity is below 100 per month.

• The only thing holding them back is how fast they can get sensors. If there were one hundred sensors available at any given time, they could ship one hundred cameras.

Likely, the plan is to get as many sensors as possible in each delivery.

John Brawley could likely testify as to whether that's true or not if he's lurking around here anymore.

• http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2808

B&H have 800 preorders and expect them to be cleared this year.

• @disordinary I wonder if they are separating EF mount from passive MFT mount BMCCs. I would be very surprised if all 800 pre-orders are EF only, which would most likely mean that the MFT portion won't be fulfilled until February 2013 at the earliest.

I have personally ordered a MFT mount version BMCC from B&H.

• I've ordered a MFT mount from a supplier in NZ and was told a week or so ago that it would be delivered in December.

• I think it would be very low number if they plan shipping in a hundred per month. With the cost of resellers, bom and R&D, for a camera like this at only $ 3000. I see them aiming more in the tens of thousand a year for it to be worthwhile.

• B&H has said that they will clear more than 800 cameras this year so I think manufacturing is at a fairly large scale, although its likely they have been manufacturing cameras to the best of their ability sans sensor.

• @disordinary

The way I read it it there is 800 preorders in the USA for EF mount BMCC, not 800 to B&H alone. Also I wouldn't expect the MFT BMCC to be delayed. Once December hits, I'm sure a certain percentage (equal to or less than 50%) of good incoming sensors will be going towards the MFT BMCC line with 50% or more going to the EF BMCC line. It makes good business sense to have only one product line delay not two product lines. I guarantee at least one MFT BMCC will ship in December, so it won't be considered delayed.

• The BH guy said the order will "fill our BKO's of 800+ with stock left over" Reads to me like BH's back orders, not the US.

I'm confident of getting my MFT camera this year, barring any other manufacturing hiccups.

• BH also has usually quite a number of international orders.

if they did not get payment in advance, this 800 orders, in real life can be 100 or less.

• It's sucks to have a ipad sometimes....

• @azza_act

LOL.

Yep, on all my android tablets Flash works :-)

• @vk

Yeah... Yeah. I know...

• well at least looks like cameras ARE being delivered. I've ordered MFT version from teltec germany but still.. still... still... WAITING

• I don't mean to pee on anybody's parade, but I found this video of rolling shutter on Black Magic

Is it just me, or is it really the case that the rolling shutter on my GH13 is nowhere as bad as on Black Magic.

• Good god!! Does nobody how to operate a damn camera anymore? Really? That's the test? It's not a 3CCD camera. If you wipe it back and forth like that of course it's going to happen, especially at 24p. Come one people. This is the second video I've seen of people trying to say this camera is not what it's cracked up to be who are panning the damn thing around like it's a $100,000 Pany P2 cam. Just stupid.

• It's also odd that the poster for that video has disabled all comments for it. Seems like a plant to me.

• And how is this rolling shutter any worse than what you might see on any CMOS DSLR?

I guess all the people that were planning on making a film where the camera pans around in circles really fast for ages on end won't be able to use a BMC, what a shame...

However, for the rest of us I'm sure that when the camera is handled properly, and handled as a cinema camera (it's even in the name folks) rolling shutter will either never be apparent or will be a very minor issue.

• Id like to see some tests for jello. Rolling shutter (as in verticals "leaning") in itself is not so much of an issue. Jello, however is – as any small vibrations will distort the image (sometimes unrepairable). Sometimes you don´t notice it until you open the footage afterwards...

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev we all know you know about tech spec of cameras, so i want to ask you one thing: do you believe its glass contamination that is delaying camera delivering on the BMC?

• Does rolling shutter not affect fast objects moving in the frame too? Such as runners or cars driving past? Presumably it isn't all about handling properly.

• Following a moving object as you pan can greatly reduce the "perceived" rolling shutter. But things like trains and cars, not sure you can do much about that.