Personal View site logo
Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @eyesoul no, you didn't come across to strong ; ) the point i'm trying to make is I see people say "this patch is amazing" But I guess I'm not seeing what they are seeing? I admire all the work driftwood puts into providing us with patches but does their come a point when the ability of the gh2 has been maxed out? Is their any reason to keep making patches? What other areas of the gh2 can be improved that have not been done yet? I feel like newer patches are loaded, used for a little bit, and then a tester goes back to their original favorite unless that patch becomes a persons new favorite. Patches seems like they don't hold attention long enough for people to really go out and put them to work, not sure if this makes any sense. Yet, if we go back to the roots, sedna is probably one of the most higly used patches, and really if that was the last patch ever made I don't think anybody could be heart broken, because toning down the detial is a simple task in post. In the end it doesn't really matter what I think, but it just seems like gh2 is maxed out. There are hundreds if not more patches to choose from, surely somebody can find 1 that they can rely on? I think a patch that can produce lower power consumption and save battery life would be innovative, but I doubt thats possible ; )

• @GravitateMediaGroup Don't be so hasty. There's always something new to learn. New ways... There are so many variables to encoding it would probably take one man a lifetime to figure out the best setting for each GOP. And the HBR has improved.

• @driftwood Keep rockin brother! You're doing PHENONEMAL work. Still lovin AN Boom here. I'm impressed with all your work. It is very much appreciated. Thanks so much

• @driftwood Hi Nick, since GOP6 is my favourite for HBR Pal work (actualy Cluster6 Nebula, because of stability and spanning) I give a try to ClusterX Nebula Pal. Unfortunaly, it freeze with the 14-140 lens on Sandisk 45Mb class10. Is this patch only done for 95Mb/s card? Thanks-JB

• Today I received a scratched filter from an eBay seller who described it as "Mint". I recorded a video to show the seller using "Intravenus 2" and a Tamron 90mm F/2.5 SP Macro Model 52B (See Flare). At ISO 1600 using the Standard B&W profile there is not much noise at all. It may not be as good as a 5D MK3 in low light, but I'm happy.

• @driftwood

I will admit that the lastest patch does have pretty nice HBR.

• @giulix-

Really great videos!

Do you live in Genoa?

• @driftwood so "Trial 2 - PAL tuned - Cluster X 'NEBULA' 6 GOP" is the best for HBR/720p meaning it's even better than intravenus? And what about Fine grain is it producing nice grain and is it grading as nice as intravenus? I also noticed that Intravenus is great at iso 1600 so will cluster X work good in low light too? I tought i'd stick with intravenus for the reasons i mentionned but i also use 25p and 720p a lot so i am trying to figure out if i should switch from Intravenus to Cluster X.

• it seems that everyone has pretty much agreed that the grain/nosie of intravenus is the best, so from here on out can we just expect it to be that nice on all patches? and can we go back and add it to every patch? lol I am being sarcastic with the last part, but will stand firm by saying sedna + intra grain would be the best patch forever and always.

• Below is a clip with four shots of GH2 B&W Smooth at night using Panny 14-140 lens. The first two were shot a year ago using one of @driftwood settings called SeaQuake in 24H and ISO 12800 (Any of the recent Intra 24h settings will provide the same results). The last two shots are using Cluster X Nebula 6GOP with the same lens, ISO 6400 in 24H and HBR respectively. The point is that with B&W Smooth the high ISO noise turns into a nice grain. Excuse the minor shakes since it was shot handheld. Change quality to 1080p or 720p HD for better results.

• @herbycamer 45Mbps extreme cards continue to prove to be problematic. I did HBR test on Extreme HD Video 30Mbps cards (as well as the 64Gb 95 Mbps card) and they were fine on my trees/grill of death scene in my park. Also it passed death charts. I will take a look further and see if we can give way a little.

• @driftwood Excuse me nick, you're alright. I used the 45mb/s UHS1 when it freeze. No matters with class 10 45mb/s and 30 mb/s cards. In HBR, everything is alright, spanning too, and it look great at an average of 60Mb/s. Thanks a lot - JB

• Hi guys! Finally 64gb 95MB / s sandisk came at the end! Now the picture is complete: I have the GH2, the Leica 25mm, and the card! I want to make short films, it is important to be versatile and film both environments and faces. But I want as much detail as possible, so I installed the Cluster V7 nebula 6gop sharp II. It 'a good choice? What advice can you give me?

I also set the main parameters as follows: -2 -2 -2 -2. Recommended something different or can it go?

Thanks for your attention guys!

• @Gravitate: "What other areas of the gh2 can be improved that have not been done yet?"

Audio. Especially in the 2K MJPEG mode.

• @IEBA1 Can't be changed unfortunately.

@Renovatio Try out Trial 2, Cluster X Nebula 6 GOP. Soon 12/15 Cluster X trial 4 too.

• Thanks Nick! I'm not at home in this period but keep update it's really really important, and you work very hard, and very well :D i'll try Trial 2 as soon as possible! And of course, thinking these are the latest patches, at the end i will ask for the best ever ! For short film...

A question you heard a thousand time, i know! XD

Thanks a lot Nick.

• @IEBA1

and..you are one of the only peple I've ever seen that is dead set on shooting mjpeg. I don't know about you, but any testing I've done with it, the file sizes are 2 to 3x bigger than the average clip of the same length.

• @driftwood For AN Boom(and other settings) is there any advantage to using MJPEG over AVCHD in terms of image quality.

@IEBA1 If audio is bad in camera with MJPEG, maybe get a small recorder and microphone, use clapper boare for sync, and your audio quality will be the best possible. In terms of new computers, you should be able to get a decent desktop system for under $1000 that can easily handle AVCHD if you decide to go that route. If you're pretty good at tinkering with computers, you could probably build a "Hackintosh" for even less. Info on that is in this forum and on many other websites too.

• @herbycamer did you get cluster x spanning 25p on 32gb 45mbs or 30mbs?

• @konjow In HBR 25p, it's spanning with sandisk 45mb/s class 10 32Go (with the UHS 1 card, it's freezing cam) and manual lens, shooting landscape with snow falling. I have to try with the 14-140 lens to complete the test. JB

• Intravenus II.

• @orgie18 Cool video. Unique style and editing with music. Maybe submit to Heineken for use as possible commercial? Just kidding. They'd never do it...but they should...would definitely increase sales. Very cool. Thanks for posting. Keep rockin!

• @orgie18 I have to say that is a great video look and edit and the first that made me reply. I am using Intravenus II also...The slo mo is cool too...Artistic and intriguing video to watch. So much more interesting than watching people filming trees with their test footage. This is what we need to show real application of the GH2 hacks and what you can achieve...well done!

• @gravitate, I'm not "dead set" on MJPEG, but the ability of a core-2 Duo machine to easily edit 2k footage is very nice. Also, I can post-stabilize 2K footage shot with non-OIS lenses, zoom in to lose the edges, and still have a 100% 1080 image. No loss. So instead of shooting 1080 for 720p delivery, I can shoot 2k for 1080p delivery.

So, faster edit, more capability, easier process, and it didn't cost me tome or money to build a new machine. Because of that, AVCHD is less important to me. AVCHD is critically sharper, but if I'm going to use old glass to soften the image, and dial down the sharpness in the camera, I can just as well shoot with MJPEG and get the other advantages to boot.

@Matt_GH2, I agree, and seem to be headed that way. Even though I like recording audio in the GH2 with the video, the more I do it I find that an external mixer would help to maximize mic input levels to the camera. So if I've got to use an external box anyway, it might as well be an external recorder. Plus, more of them are doing 4-channel now, so there's just so much more functionality to doing it that way. ambient stereo, lav & shotgun with one record press. :)

• Hey everyone,

Long time creeper here on the forums. I guess just around pre-Stalin hack times. Anyway, first of all I would like to say thank you to every single user, poster, creeper, anyone who regularly visits this page and provides the fuel to keep in running because I had never even picked up a camera a year ago today and I just finished my first film short that I am extremely proud considering my absolute zero film background prior to visiting and you all are a big part of that, so thank you. This recognition is long overdue but better late than never I guess.

Next, I shot this short entirely on the GH2 with a 25mm Panny Leica lens and IntraVenus II. I figured I would post it so everyone could see how it ended up working for me. Any comments, questions or criticisms are, of course, encouraged.

The quality was light years better when we uploaded to Vimeo but the company had to use the Youtube channel it already had for the drop.