Personal View site logo
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • If that's GH3 I'll eat a salad. That's beyond any solid quality I've seen coming out of anything sub 15K.

The moire in the hair's a tell that it's Blackmagic. Even outside of that, once you shoot enough of it you know the image, that is definitely not a GH series camera or a 5D but hey... weirder things have happened.

• The GH3 has a really dark black, so I think the first is GH3.

• Don't know what the other two are but the first is Blackmagic. Noise, skin, rolloff, hair are dead giveaways.

Good reminder why I stopped shooting with GH2 and just shoot Blackmagic now.

• replaced the file with an 18,000Mb/s 1080p file for download.

• Thanks @shian for the teaser :) all three look good, which makes me think the gh3 is going some, if it maches intravenous which does look great!

At a guess Gh2 then gh3 and third BMC.. Although that's quite uneducated :) I look forward to seeing more, thanks!

• Oh, and that particular series in the teaser was shot simultaneously on all 3 cams. It's the exact same lighting, same action captured on each cam in one take.

• I did 14000 mp4 720 to save upload time, cuz i was tired. The final will of course be 1080. [EDIT - replaced the file with 1080, and the downloadable file is now 1080 18Mb/s] They've been graded to match in that series because the differences in the "raw" footage is jarring. And yes the 5D lost big time.

What you are seeing is AVCHD on both the GH cams and ProRes on the BMD. The order will be revealed as soon as we get EVERYTHING put together. SO hopefully this weekend, and hopefully no later than X-mas. We're still pouring over the results, and it's taking longer to try to properly and fairly frame the comparison

And as for the DR it's a 16:1 ratio between key and fill, and a 64:1 across the entire scene. (4 stops and 6 stops) The really contrasty stuff we saved for the garage, and for the identical lens test. Preview pic of garage shoot attached. image

00001 (0.00.26.10).png
    1920 x 1080 - 7M
  • After further review dam if I know lol but I like 1 & 3 the best.

• @shian This is definitely the test I've been waiting for. Thanks so much for putting something like this out, seriously. Are you planning on releasing the full comparison today? And are you considering including a look at the same shots before grading as well?

So quick guess. #3 looks like the GH3, but only because of the way the motion looked... but it's super hard to tell in a short, well lit shot like this. I'm definitely excited to see the results!

• I think in @shian test that the first scene is the gh2 with intravenus..I say this because if you download the mp4 from vimeo it has less background artifacts and a finer noise rendition.I'm basing this theory on intravenus hack being such a high bit-rate it held up better in the final mp4 output with grading."the area the hack would show its true strength"If not I have been wrong before and it may give me a new outlook on high bit-rate hacks.also the other scenes seemed to have better DR but didn't hold up as well far as artifacts.If number one is not the gh2 it has to be the blackmagic.If number one is the gh3 time to upgrade.

• @shian thanks for doing the test, of three cameras, (I would add Nikon D800 in the mix), it's clear that 5dmk3 is not a winner here, from the teaser hard to tell , too little of DR in the scene, too boring, flat lighting. Yes, thank you! Having original files, not graded somewhere would be the best.

• @shian You're going to need to upload a high quality h264 transcoded version onto vimeo. Don't forget Vimeo's transcode is pretty shocking and can introduce its own artefacting inc macro blocking. Produce a 12000Kbps version graded to Vimeo's over saturation and then check the Flash and HTML5 versions before going live with it.

• @ Thewindchanger

Again, another user uploading a high frame rate vid. That Barcelona is in a 50p timeline. I like it though!!!

• @Everyone... Stay away from the ALL-I on the Gh3. Use the IBP or the ACVHD and transcode.

• @ Shian Thanks for doing your test, but upload a 1080 version when you reveal your final test please.

• @ KOB. That video you posted with the trees were you talk about the jitters?????? Download the video and you will see the guy edited all that footage in a 60p timeline and dropped 30p shots in it.

It's not that hard guys...

• I cant wait the result of Shian´s test.

• A teaser for the shootout - Results Show coming soon.

• screenshots: FHD 24p 50mb/s mov.

Bildschirmfoto 2012-12-20 um 23.21.05.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-12-20 um 23.22.17.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
  • 1080/24p 50M [.mov] is king. Grain similar to Intravenus, but not quite as nice, and has the GH3's expanded DR, and no noticeable banding. Results video coming within the next week.

Thanks to everyone who suggested different settings.

• @robbin - this clip is by Caleb Roberts, not me - all I know is what written on the vimeo page. I will post a question there.

• @kob What filmode and shutter speed in the video?

• Another sample at

And again, panning horizontaly produces a noticable jitter. Did not see that in vertical panning.

• Until now the only real info about the camera ware some test charts made bay a very friendly guy here on forum, sorry I forgot his name, but his charts lifted the big mystery. After all this time it is so much to ask for a proper test?

From the carts I concluded that GH3 resolves about 830 line of resolution (distinct lines), and Gh2 about 800. So the resolution is almost identical. There is also the moire factor which it is not so bad actually, yes there is some moire at 45 degrees but it is no such a big deal, BMC also has moire...