Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @oscillian OK

Anyway 2014 will be 201-4K

• @Panasonic SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

GOD I hope this does not take six months to release. Like my wild fantasy is that they're also changing their rollout method so that it's available the same day as release or whatever. I seriously don't care what it costs.

• Man, I can can't wait for the official announcement. Love me some of that Panasonic morning-breakfast-pancake goodness! Num, Num.Num.

• If the specs are correct I'm guessing Panasonic is aiming their competition at models like the Sony FS700 which can overcrank/shoot 4K. What's amazing is the FS700 costs 4X the rumored $2000 GH4 price, but also has the ability to shoot RAW out-of-the-box (which most likely isn't available on the GH4 w/o the optional A/V interface). Does anyone think the add-on might rival price of the camera? :/

• Fs700 only shoots RAW with a (very expensive) external recorder. Still a cool camera though.

• You're correct, costly oversight. I keep thinking of the Odyssey 7Q which is much more cost effective and beneficial than Sony's add-on.

• 4k at 96fps and 422 colours?

96fps it's perfect, you've just to conform at 24fps and a great slow motion, no need 1080p 120fps.

So: the price, that's the point.

• 96fps @ 4K is pretty great. Twixtor or AE can do some amazing results with 96fps if you need more slo-mo.

Hopefully there will be higher fps at 1080p or 720p. Also interested to see if they will have a burst mode for stills, like the 30fps on the GH2.

• Also, hopefully there is 48fps in camera.

• Are you really believing 4k 96fps. I think it will be max 4k 30fps and for Europe 25fps. If more then it will be without audio like Panasonic usually has.

What might do that button in center of mode dial?

Kind of dissapointment if ergonomics hasnt been improved at all.

EVF looks the same as crappy one in GH3. Very hard to look at.

• So I can shoot like Peter Jackson? ;)

• "What might do that button in center of mode dial?"

It is a lock for the dial, you need to press it to turn the dial.

• @MarcioK

A lock? Sounds like another useless part to broke. GH3 mode dial doesnt roll itself.

• @kellar42

GOD I hope this does not take six months to release. Like my wild fantasy is that they're also changing their rollout method so that it's available the same day as release or whatever. I seriously don't care what it costs.

It seems to have mostly same parts as GH3. So it is easy to make. Just change some inner parts. Factories are running and competition is hard. Sony and others are coming...

If they are first in the market they can ask higher prices. 4K television prices are dropping very fast.

By the way Panasonic 4K TV can show 4096x2160.

• @vesku sorry bro' but rumors told that it will be available after several months...

As usual for Panny...

• It will be coool to have one at summertime.

• It won't take several months

• @Hallvalla

Are you expecting 3D with the GH4?

• Was the only thing holding the GH4 back from being released the memory cards? Seems ironic that the memory cards required by the GH4 were announced only 1 week ago, doesn’t it?

It almost looks like Panasonic designed the GH3 to be a 4K camera “eventually”. Once the cards were up to the task they released the GH3.4000.

• GH3 has 3D already.

• I think that the camera uses the external form factor from the GH3 (to allow the use of the GH3 rigs and acessories that a lot of people already have), but internally it might be very different - the heat dissipation needs are much higher, the EVF might be new, and some construction problems (like the weak hot shoe in the GH3) might be solved.

And I guess that they will wait to see the prices of the other 4K cameras that will be announced to release price / availability info.

• Availability: Christmas.

• I would be more exited about GH33 then GH4 announcement. Nothing personal here:)