Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @mpgxsvcd, I am starting to think that way too. Kinda telling myself I should have waited on the GH3. But again, to get the GH4k with an SD card and the xlr adapter will be some quite $$$$

So @VK, with all these GH4k goodness and on the eve of it's release and dreams and hopes for the hacked GH3? lol

• What is GH33 ???

• Vesku Do you remember GH13 meaning?

• Yes. GH13 was HACKED GH1.

• Vectorscope...

Premiering a short doc tonight shot with the combination of the GH3 and the G6. It is going play at a banquet for a local civic group. About 300 will watch it, which is great. Will share it tomorrow.

This is the second film I shot with this set up, and the first in super flat. Man, I'm worn out with color (in post), especially skin tones. I cannot remember these problems with my GH1s, and my wife's Canons with Magic Lantern seem to work better in getting good skin tone.

Why? Because we can use a Vectorscope... Until we started shooting reality TV on the Canons, I didn't think anything of the vectorscope. Now, I'm using it more and more...

Any chance we will get waveform and Vectorscope with this new GH4 cam? And anyone got a suggestion for a monitor that works with the GH3 that has Vectorscope?

Moving forward, I'm not shooting natural with most everything (except NR) completely negative.

• This is my opinion only, but if there will be an hack for the gh3 after this long time, I think it's a calculated waiting, to wait the gh4 and only later, the hack.

Frankly this situation is just a little embarrassing, hoping in the next Santa Claus

• @Vesku

3D For stills.

• That add on is going to be worth more than the camera itself.

• This is kind of curious...I've been wrestling with the Letus Anamorphx purchase and bugging Letus about it...today I tweeted asking if the 4k adapter was around the corner (originally there were going to be two adapters, not positive that is still a thing) for the GH4...and one of their people tweeted this back.

Could GH4k's already be in the wild? This is across media's description: 'I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven, When I awoke spent that on anamorphic lenses' and site: http://www.across110thmedia.com/across/

Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 3.58.46 PM.png
    646 x 202 - 62K
  • A look-up table is a very smart way to enhance autofocus. I hope other lenses can be added to the look-up table. Time code is a great option and I hope either Panasonic or some other vendor will come up with a cheap way to sync a network of cams. I would guess that a wifi solution would be workable--why should it have to have cables?

I'm going on record as being the first person to complain about "pulsing" and banding in the GH4. I haven't seen the camera, but I'm sure it will have either real or imaginary problems and I want to be the first to complain about them since I usually only discover them after I read about them.

• I remember when the GH3 first came out. Everyone said the following:

1. 50 Mbs IBP is crap compared to All-I
    2. 80 Mbs is not enough bit rate for All-I
    3. The GH3 will have terrible Moiré
    4. The Hacked GH2 has more dynamic range than the GH3 could ever have
    5. The GH3 is too big
    6. The GH3 doesn’t have focus peaking
    7. The GH3 doesn’t shoot fast enough in live view burst mode with AF
    8. The ISO is limited to ISO 6400 in the GH3 but the hack enabled higher ISOs in the GH23

Some of these things were true. For instance 80 Mbs was not enough for All-I 1080p. However, the 50 Mbs IBP was plenty for everyone. People got accustomed to the GH3 size and they lived without focus peaking.

They soon realized that the GH3 auto focus was as fast as it needed to be with the 12-35mm and 35-100mm lenses. The burst mode could do sports even with AF but there was room for improvement.

Moire was not nearly as bad as the prototypes showed and people quickly stopped talking about that. They also realized that the new color profiles offered great flexibility in video mode but we really needed a way to adjust highlights and shadows independently of each other.

The GH4 will have all of these things and more. Panasonic has addressed all of the issues and oversights that came with the GH3. Some of you will continue to hate and claim that only a VK model could surpass the all mighty GH23. I have used both of those cameras and I can tell you that the GH23 isn’t even close to what the stock GH3 is in every aspect. I sold my GH2 because it simply was not capable of doing the job that the GH3 can do.

And in that same regard I fully expect to sell off my GH3 after the GH4 comes out because it will be that much better. 200 Mb/s will be just fine for IBP and may or may not be enough for All-I but I think that is just wasting bandwidth anyway.

In the end some people will still be talking about the GH23’s dominance back in the day. Everyone else will just be making great footage and images with the GH4 or what they have already. I just think it is nice that we have so many great options from Panasonic.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

• @mpgxsvcd

The GH4 will have all of these things and more. Panasonic has addressed all of the issues and oversights that came with the GH3.

I really hope that Panasonic have thought the usage of camera well this time. GH3 was so unfinished and even 2 firmware updates did nothing to improve shooting and handling issues. I fear that the same faults is again there. Like useless buttons and missing FN-options.

• Panasonic.com reports

Panasonic LUMIX YAGH Interface Unit: Pro Audio Video Interface for LUMIX GH4

So GH4 it's the official name? All that stories about Japanese superstition...

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMW-YAGH

• @mpgxsvcd totally--but I'm also hoping we see competitive models from Sony, Canon & Samsung if Panasonic has a big success with this cam. No reason not to have a 4K M2 as a choice.

Looking at the breakout box I wish they had added a four channel flash recorder in there--certainlu enough room. At least it has hardware level meters.

• Seemsnice, not the best design but functional

GH4_slant_YAGH_zps2fe945db.jpg
    1024 x 899 - 78K
    GH4_back_YAGH_zpse48ca0cd.jpg
    1024 x 852 - 73K
    3_side_2_YAGH_zps44899b78.png
    613 x 460 - 235K
  • No mention of containing an external battery, one would hope it also has that integrated.

• Looks like B&H just lowered the price of the GH3 today in preparation of the announcement!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892456-REG/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_GH3_Mirrorless_Digital.html

Down to $978 from $1299

• There is no "Perfect Camera", much less at this price range. Therefore we'll have to live with some level of less than perfect aspects of the GH4. IMO that's really not going to be an issue given the extreme value of a product like this. The joy of owning a GH has been the value for the money which has been off the charts for a while. Pany has been listening and this camera so far seems to be addressing quite a lot of our wishes. I'm very excited about this. I had already saved money for a BM Pocket, but then heard about the GH4 rumors and held off. This could be a very pleasant development. I've still got my GH, a Canon 50D RAW and a bunch of Canon Vixia. That will hold me for a few more months. Good times :)

• I went back and forth a little deeper on Twitter with this fellow in New York. He claims he'll have footage and specifics on Monday or Tuesday, is doing Anamorphic testing with it over the weekend, however footage will not be in 4k. When I asked why he said cam does 4k but not super early version he has. Seems legit and the Letus people know whom he is, but not sure what the point of less than 4k tests are...anyways we'll see.

• This looks really interesting, like the kind of step up I was hoping for the gh3. Great idea with the modular approach - it´s something I´ve been asking for a long time already. Brick design looks a bit so-so. Sort of functional. Integrated flash recorder would have been nice. 4 SDI´s? Really? At least I can get that fucker and have nobody complain about ability to record sound / having to sync clips in post ever again.

However hideous the extension is: it´s removable. You can use the cam as-is.

Now here´s to hoping for an improved stills side of things also - which would be a big step closer to "the perfect hybrid".

• • 3G – SDI terminal

• 4K2K (YUV = 4:2:2/10bit) video output
    • FHD (YUV = 4:2:2/10bit) video output
    • Monitoring through with time code

If the SDI is 422 10 bits, than probably internal recording is 8 bits :/ GH4k plus monster dock plus10bit SDI recorder = around 4k$

• Test units have been floating around indeed. =P And there's the SDI module that was supposed to land with the GH3.

• I wonder what that weird handle/recess/slot-looking area in the front of the breakout box is...?

• Now here´s to hoping for an improved stills side of things also - which would be a big step closer to "the perfect hybrid".

«Je suis comme Saint Thomas, je ne crois que ce que je vois».