Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • looks pretty awesome. But I'm gonna be stoic. GH5, 120fps, 4:2:2 to SD card. I'll be waiting for you.

• @mrbill I live in the UK but wonder why they still do that stupid 30min record limitation. That alone would prompt me to buy from the US.

• So, what would be suitable external recorder for GH4 (with YAGH)? Is there any, record 96fps 4K? or at least 1080p 96fps?

• GH4 + YAGH Video Unit 1st Stock Available late June £2499.99

DMC-GH4HEB £1749.99 (14-140mm)

DMC-GH4EB £1299.99 (Body Only)

Both stock Available 5th May

http://news.panasonic.co.uk/pressreleases/the-panasonic-lumix-gh4-changing-the-boundaries-of-professional-photography-and-4k-videography-958554

• @Mark_the_Harp - its the tax on camcorder v dslr in the EU, as you'll probably remember. Anything that shoots video for longer than 30mins gets hit by this. Don't know if your warranty from Panasonic is a worldwide one though, if you're thinking of buying abroad.

• should we get it??

• Awesome to be able to play with those 4k files. Any chance the high bitrate 1080p files are online somewhere?

• So, for those of you who remember.. who had the better record of delivering pre-orders for the GH3 and BMPCC?

• Well guys I get to be a guinnea pig. Just placed my preorder through B&H. $1,698 is the official price for the body. I have several music videos lined up with some bands for late spring and summer, can't wait to give it the run through.

• @blackspot The Ki Pro Quad is the only readily available 4K external recorder, but it's a sizeable chunk of change at $3,995. AJA claims they will support multiple frame rates, but I don't believe they've disclosed if it will be anything higher than 60p.

• @matt_gh2

Panny's comments about the lack of recording to SD on the 4k/10-bit/4:2:2 was that they didn't have enough "pipeline" into the card to manage the bandwidth.

• I ordered through Amazon. They are predicting a May 1st ship date. Should have mine the next day. Amazon charges sales tax in my area now. I might keep my Samy's order instead.

• May 1st? I got May 6th. No sales tax just shipping.

I ordered through Amazon. They are predicting a May 1st ship date. Should have mine the next day. Amazon charges sales tax in my area now. I might keep my Samy's order instead.

• @Ian_T

I ordered the second it went up on Amazon. Did you order right away?

Edit:

It says "This item will be released on May 1, 2014. " on the GH4 page on Amazon now.

• @mpgxsvcd In looking at it again it says estimated delivery date is the 6th. So yeah....the shipping date might very well be the 1st.

• I pre-ordered the GH4 from B&H about 5AM this morning. I stayed up until about 12:30AM but fell asleep and when I woke up I had email from B&H posted at 12:50AM saying "Panasonic GH4 Available for Pre-Order‏".

BTW does anyone know if 4K 24fps 4096x2160 mode would down convert using HDMI output to a 1080p HDTV like 4K UHD 30fps 3840x2160 mode ? It looks like it will from the manual but it would be in 1.85 aspect ratio instead of 1.78 aspect ratio standard 16:9 . http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/6b/b368626b72480c1c3b347caf52d498.jpg

• Has there been any word as to whether the GH4 has an ETC mode like it's predecessors?

Edit: Though I guess if you shoot in 4K mode you can crop for 1080 anyway, so I guess it's not really necessary.

Anyway, I'm holding off on preorder until I see what the competition has to offer at NAB. Not that I'm really expecting anyone to touch these features at this price. :P

• It's the waiting around to see who will have a reasonably priced 4k, 10 bit HDMI recorder that is the killer.

• @bozfx, if it had an ETC mode, then recorded at the same data rate, say 100Mbps, that would be better than applying a post 'punch in' on the 4K recording at 100Mbps during an edit or post finish? ETC may still be a cool feature. The more features, the better, in general.

@JohnTollwannabe, yes please and reasonable price, not cheap. Something like an ATOMOS 5" 720p resolution with a removable and/or flip on/off EVF (think DP4 like or better), HDMI (with connector lock/protection) 4K 10-bit ProRes HQ, with feature such as, 2x anamorphic de-squeeze live view monitoring, source remains squeezed when recording. And then I woke up from my dream...

• @rNeil Sorry I wasn't clear -prob sleep deprivation. I was talking about how @kholi had said "Illya Friedman of Hot Rod Cameras confirmed that the camera can send a 10bit 4K 422 signal out of the HDMI port, and you can record that." and I was wondering why they would produce the ability to output via HDMI if there weren't any recorders on the market that could record the signal.

• @Matt_gh2 You don't think there will be a slew of 4k recorders at NAB? All the big players in the 1080 recording market will need to push 4k just like the TV makers do. That is my bet. If you build it they will come.