Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @olli66 If I'm not wrong, if you buy Panasonic and Sony camera in Japan, only Japanese menu is available. As for brand like Olympus, Canon and Nikon, English menu is available.

• bummer, that would be really bad...anyone knows if there are import shops in Europe that will have US models?

• @olli66 Perhaps it might be cheaper overall to import it through Amazon or B&H Photo than going through a European importer.

• @TheNewDeal

If Panasonic dealers are displaying MSRP for the GH4 early in an effort to gauge public reaction... well, if these prices are correct, they sure got one. The camera itself, perhaps not so much given what it can do, but the YAGH accessory... eegads!!

• You think the photosites change size depending on what mode you've selected in the menu?

• @balazar, I don't think they were talking about changes in photo-sites, but the manner in which the camera chooses to utilize what's there. As for example, my GH3 has a few different shooting modes for stills, 4:3, 4x6, and 16:9. The 4:3 mode uses the whole sensor. 4x6 is 'wider' so it doesn't use the top and bottom few rows of pixels ... and 16:9 uses fewer pixels.

Because the image proportions have changed the area of pixels used off the sensor changes.

• @caveport @karl @eno Thanks for the footage. I too had a play to see how far you could push the footage. Answer = a lot! Using Resolve, imported at source size, exported at 1080. The upload was 20mbps so doesn't look as sparkly as it did out of Resolve. I'm not a colour guru (you can tell!) - I just enjoyed playing with the images. The original is top/left, the modified is bottom/right throughout.

• Not quite yet.

• Illya Friedman of Hot Rod Cameras confirmed that the camera can send a 10bit 4K 422 signal out of the HDMI port, and you can record that.

If BMD makes an external 4K recorder that will accept a 4KHDMI Signal, I may consider picking up a GH4 just to see what it's about.

• If BMD makes an external 4K recorder that will accept a 4KHDMI Signal, I may consider picking up a GH4 just to see what it's about.

Yet it'll be same super niche product, and something tells me that it won't be BM.

• Maybe it'll be Atomos, who cares who it is, though? There isn't a 4K HDMI recording option and most of the people here aren't going to pay 2000 for the YAGH and then another large sum for one of the existing options.

BMD, Atomos, it doesn't really matter.

It's also very clear that not many are looking forward to a watered down internal 4K recording, and want better.

• It's also very clear that not many are looking forward to a watered down internal 4K recording, and want better

And this is just personal opinion made into false assumption.

• Unless someone releases something better at NAB next month, I think the GH4 will be my next camera. As of the moment nothing comes close to matching features vs. cost.

• One thing I'm thrilled about is that in the "home-graded" GH4 bits put up here, skin is SO skin. Yippee ... no plasticine, no "we engineers think this is the contrast/hue/sat you REALLY want for skin" brilliance in the cam's processor. And I'm with @Vitaliy_Kiselev ... the specs for what this thing can shoot and record internally are still darn worth considering the cash out-lay for me. I'd guess with a bit of business uptick, I'd definitely grab one. But we'll all be waiting to see, when the "real" ones come out.

• @rNeil Yeah this cam is really promising in potential. Can't wait for it to come out to get all real facts. For me, my next cam is this or the Pocket Cinema. I want to test shoot on both cams. Soon....soon.

• for practical purpose, GH4 is much better than BMPCC.

Better baterry life , better resolutions

better choces of codecs

just 1.5 stops less dynamic range

and probably better moire and alising

• New video

price was the mentioned before

• Just placed my pre-order at Samys.com for $1699. Samys is a legit store in California. They don't take pre-orders unless they know exactly what the price is. I bought my GF1, GH2, GH3, and now my GH4 through them.

It was 11:00 PM EDT when I placed my order so maybe they forgot about Day light savings time.

http://www.samys.com/p/Panasonic/DMCGH4KBODY/LUMIX-DMC-GH4-Body-Black/143526.html

• Went to the Sammy's link, and then searched for the 'brick' ... they've got that as a pre-order item too, at USD $1999. I agree with @mpgsxvcd, Sammy's is a very reliable company, they've been supplying a lot of the pro's for many years, and they have never advertised a pre-order price I've heard of that didn't hold up for the shipping price. High confidence in them ...

• Still no go on Amazon. Want to purchase there. Agreed that Samy's is great. Bought lots of stuff there.

• Pre ordered the body for $1699. Now its just a matter of waiting for it. Wonder if Canon will bring out something competitive in the 7D mk II in response to recent cams.

• @kholi @VK Maybe you guys know better than me, I'm not too technically knowledgable, why did Panasonic make GH4 capable of sending 4:2:2 10 bit down HDMI if there isn't a way to record that somehow?

• I'd love that price to convert properly to sterling, but no doubt we'll get the usual pounds for dollars BS over here. Nonetheless, even at nearly 1700 GBP, I think this little feller is coming with me