Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • My reply on that site:

Something is kinda fishy about that test. First off it does not seem like any of the flat profiles were used. Secondly...I think the DR is kind of fuzzy with the GH-4. For example...look at 2:38 while the image is fading in you can see the details in the highlights on top of the bridge...then when it goes full bright the bridge gets washed out. The detail is obviously in the image but it seems no care was taken to hold it. Plus he recorded out of the HDMI on the Canon but not on the GH-4? You see the big difference when the Canon was recorded internally vs out the HDMI )better DR) but conclude the the compressed codec pf the GH-4 sensor can't hang. Don't you think that was to be expected...especially when pushing a 4K image at only 100 Mbps? Try again with the recording out of the GH-4 HDMI to give a more fair representation.

• Canon C100 VS Panasonic GH4

• @maddog15 I have the same issue with the power switch, but it's not happening very often.

• @belfryman yes very frustrating, and one of the main reasons I'm sticking with my hacked GH2s for now.

I asked the Panasonic reps at the Park Cameras meetup if there had ever been any further consideration about the 30 min issue, like allowing users to pay the EU camcorder tax themselves, especially as it's being marketed heavily as a video camera. They agreed that would be good but said "Panasonic don't listen to us".

• Ok, goofy inquiry. Once every 30 times or so my GH4 will not turn on when I flip the on switch. I turn it back to off - and on again - it turns on fine. Works fine after that. But this is still happening even as recent as today. Anyone have this little worrisome quirk? (Wondering if I should have it replaced since it's so new... or what.) Maybe nothing...thought it would be at least smart to ask you guys.

Thanks in advance.

• @c_adams Thanks. Frustrating.

• Is it hardwired into the body or part of the firmware?

It is region setting.

• Is there any chance that a hack will be developed to go beyond the 30 mins limit? Is it hardwired into the body or part of the firmware?

• @belfryman yes it's still limited to 30 mins in the UK and anywhere in the EU unfortunately

• Has anyone bought this in the UK? Is it still limited to 30 mins when sold here?

• Got this 1490€ offer from https://www.digizone.ee/ and we also have an offer for 14-140mm kit with 2099€ which is bit pricey http://www.photopoint.ee/et/toode/40049/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh4-14-140mm-kit-mu

• Wow, where? Here in Latvia it looks like about 1700€ and more.

• In Estonia body price is 1490€ - seems like I'm getting one too :)

• is the GH4 available for sale in Moscow, and how do prices compare with the 20% VAT added in Europe?

I think not yet, but can be wrong. Price is usually higher than EU.

• A question: is the GH4 available for sale in Moscow, and how do prices compare with the 20% VAT added in Europe?

• Sony a7r video looks impressive too. What do you guys think of comparing it to GH4?

• @thorn, it depends on your workflow. If you do keying, anything that resamples the image (resizing, distorting, stabilisation) or anything that samples several pixels together (eg. blurring/sharpening) then 4:4:4 is very useful.

But if all you do is colour adjustments (levels, curves, LUTs etc), or no adjustments at all, and then render out to 4:2:0, 4:4:4 source buys you nothing.

• Could someone with a body have a play with Synchro Scan?

It's a fine shutter speed adjustment right? How fine is it? Can you dial in fractional shutter speeds?

And can you tweak this during recording, or only before recording starts?

• B&H is doing a webcast discussing GH4 and answering questions. They are accepting questions via Twitter and are also going to give away a free GH4. Here's link with time/info:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/panasonicGH4Event.jsp?registered=true&cm_mmc=EML--NewAnnouncement-PanasonicGH4LiveEvent--140522-_-Body_Retail_GH4Event