Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • -- The question on a lot of people's minds is, can the GH4's built-in HDMI port record out 4K 4:2:2 10 bit or is the YAGH actually needed for that?

-- You can output 4K at 4:2:2 10bit to a recorder with the body. You do not need the YAGH. Here's a page from the manual - by Giulio Sciorio image

• As allways there is something odd.

MICRO HDMI, not mini, not normal. I SUFFER to use this mini HDMI to monitor work, the rig helps but is a shit, a micro HDMI would only make things worst.

An external micro HDMI to HDMI adapters, like the design (of that part only) from thr YAGH brick should be a must but only the adaptor.

• @igorek7 Thanks for clearing up the 4K 4:2:2 HDMI output once and for all, now we just need a new Hyperdeck that can record 4K over HDMI :)

• Does anyone know if the 200mps 1080p mode is available to download anywhere as a sample? I'm curious if my machine can even handle editing it. Or if I need to start future proofing and saving some more money! (RE: 2013 Maxed out Retina 13 inch Macbook Pro)

• the more the bit rate the less strain to your processor. So its better less compression. Run smoother

• @igorek7:

Thank God! So, who'll be the first to have a somewhat affordable 4k 10 bit 4:2:2 recorder on the market?

Does time code synch data get encoded into the recorded stream as well on SD recordings and at the HDMI video out? Does the HDMI port output the frame rate selected in the menu? Let's say you choose 96 fps, will it output that, or is it limited to one frame rate?

Can you choose RAW output or are video picture profiles baked in?

Any answers to those issues?

Thanks!

• @endotoxic Is that true? I have heard conflicting reports. I'm assuming 4K is out of the question on that 13 inch Maxed out Retina...but was sure hoping I could at least do the max 1080 mode.

• @igorek7

Where is the GH4 manual available?

Thanks.

• I don't care one "bit" what the bit output is is, I just would like the image to look good--what good is bits if the shadows are chunky and there is moiree and stair stepping?

• @Tron @JohnTollwannabe I've just copied what G. Sciorio said.

IMHO, 4k 10 bit 4:2:2 recorders are not going to be cheap no matter what is the input port.

@Ralph_B The manual is not yet available.

• @thebmillz completely shure about compression.

AVCHD is harder on any computer than MPEG-2.

• @igorek7 @thebmillz

As i previously said, Panasonic will offer such solutions, the hard disk and the recorder, just like in P2 world.

I think it will not cost that much, but the overall price of a complete GH4k system could be easily $7K.

Right now seems that the system with the YAGH is about $5.2k Putt on the SDI cables, XLR mics and all that shit, add a recorder made from Panasonic FOR GH4 easy $7K on a DSLR system. Even if you dont buy Panasonic gear it will be expensive.

For me GH4 is a transitional camera. It has master quality 1080p on full sensor readout. When trans-coding from 4K to 1080p 10bit 4:2:2 you wont need any DMC-YAGH brick madafaka. Ending up with excellent quality 1080p footage, if 4K needed can be worked on 8bit, less strain to computer anyway, and from here to 4K culture explodes i can see 3 more years.

So best choice is just shoot 4K choose a proper speed booster if crop is a problem, and get use to it, cos GH5 and all the sons coming from GH2 and GH13 experiment will be a strong video oriented machines.

• @JohnTollwannabe

Does time code synch data get encoded into the recorded stream as well on SD recordings and at the HDMI video out?

I'm not aware that HDMI (as a standard) supports timecode transfer/output to begin with... so, although some cameras can send it (Sony, in some cases), I don't know that every other HDMI-compatible device is ready to receive it. If Pana does, of course, I'd welcome it... though I tend to think you wouldn't be able to jam it with other cameras.

• @endotoxic

Right now seems that the system with the YAGH is about $5.2k Putt on the SDI cables, XLR mics and all that shit, add a recorder made from Panasonic FOR GH4 easy $7K on a DSLR system.

That's not really a fair comparison to anything else; it's not really that accurate, either. We haven't see a release price on the GH4+brick, but the estimates I've seen (*however potentially high/low/speculative) put it closer to $3800, not $5200. I wouldn't buy a panasonic recorder if a Ninja/7Q/etc offered the same solution for less money. Heck, with some of those, you also get an external monitor built-in.

As to "SDI cables, XLR mics, and all that shit" - what camera system DOESNT require you to buy these things? If you're using BMD, or Red, or Alexa - i'm guessing you have to buy cables and mics. When I did broadcast, we had three $25K studio cameras... but we still had to buy the cables and the mics.

• @chauncy said this > In Sweden cyberphoto has body at 14999 kr and box add on at 19999 kr. That's 35k for the twö. That's $5387 or 3916 euros for both. Take away VAT and you're maybe 20% less. They "expect" it in end of April.

if that is the true price then we are talking about 5K < And you will have to buy cables on this new baby Lol

1111.jpg
    1020 x 540 - 109K
    22222.jpg
    1020 x 576 - 112K
  • If you select GH4 and compare it to GH3 on dxomark, at specifications, you can see that they say the estimated price for GH4 is 1700 dollars: http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GH4-versus-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GX7-versus-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GH3___943_901_842

• I was told $1699 for the camera, $2000 for the interface, and $3100 if purchased as a kit.

But between hearing and reality...... anyone's guess at this point. We will see soon enough.

(US prices)

• I personally have no problem with 1699$ price for the body, the brick is of no interest to me :).

• @stoneinapond @Eno

I think we are going into third circle. Just wait a little.

• I still don't understand why panasonic abandoned the 19x10.7mm oversize sensor from m4/3, it permitted bigger photosites and better crop factor.

• Perhaps the newer sensor, with other advances in sensor tech, wasn't available in the old size.

• The official price of the GH4 is suppose to be announced on March,17 and available sometime between end of April and beginning of May. http://frugalfilmmakers.com/2014/02/22/hands-on-with-the-gh4/

• Here is my newbie question : 4K image with the GH4 is 1:1, there's no downsampling. So can it be compared to what we presently get with Ex Tele, which is just that : a direct crop of the sensor ?

• So can it be compared to what we presently get with Ex Tele, which is just that : a direct crop of the sensor ?

Yep, something like it.