Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Stabilize footage in post - options
  • 61 Replies sorted by
  • Now I have tested the demo version of new Mercalli v4. It has good improvements. I can now stabilize many clips with assigning the same settings to all files. There is still not a possibility to save settings.

The luminance shift GH3/4 0-255 to 16-235 is corrected (hurray). It is funny because when I asked them earlier about it (v3) they said that the issue not exists but they have now corrected it silently.

Rendering is still about the same than earlier and the bitrate goes easily very high with complex scene.

There are some new features like NR/sharpening and clip combining. There are also new stab features with very slow analysing but those are optional. I can not say much about stab IQ, I just started using it.

• The best is still to use Mocha or Nuke. They need a lot of work but you gonna get as much as you can from stabilization. Mocha is probably more straightforward and less processor intensive than nuke which requires both the expertise and the hardware. They also both allow to save more image by reconstructing the "out of the frames" from different frames which comes quite handy especially knowing cropping is a major issue with stabilization. Again it's not magic, it's always better to have a very solid shot in first place, don't expect miracles.

• The new Mercalli v4 CMOS correction is very impressive. It corrects rolling shutter wobbling, jello and vibration better than anything earlier. I can cure my vibrating and wobbling Pana 14-140mm OIS jitter completely with very little cropping. It is though a slow process.

• I use the free & open source vid.stabfilter from Georg Martius, I apply it using ffmpeg's "vidstabdetect" and "vidstabdtransform" video filters.

See also this posting for example video links.

The procedure I follow is:

(1) Cut the relevant parts out of the camera recorded files in the compressed domain (not re-encoding, only cutting at I-frames). This is relevant (apart from saving a lot of time and storage) to not confuse the software stabilizer by irrelevant and possibly wildly moving scenery outside of the range I actually want to stabilize. I do this using mpv and the excerpt plugin.

(2) I invoke a script that calls ffmpeg (which has been compiled with vid.stab support, you need to install libvidstab first and tell ffmpeg to use it when configuring before "make"). I've written two variants of this script, one for video with intentional motion in it, and another for video that should look as if the camera was mounted fixed on a tripod. The first script looks like this: ("\" at the end of the line is a line continuation for "bash"):

ffmpeg -i input_name \
      -vf "vidstabdetect=result=name.trf:shakiness=5:accuracy=15:stepsize=6:mincontrast=0.3:tripod=0" \
      -c:v rawvideo -f rawvideo -y /dev/null

ffmpeg -i input_name \
      -vf "vidstabtransform=input=name.trf:smoothing=10:optzoom=1:interpol=bicubic:tripod=0" \
      -c:v libx264 -profile:v high -preset:v faster -tune film -b:v 100000000 \
      -c:a copy -c:s copy -c:d copy -map 0 \
      output_name.mkv 

The second version of the script (for the "fixed tripod"-like scenes) looks similar:

ffmpeg -i input_name \
      -vf "vidstabdetect=result=name.trf:shakiness=3:accuracy=15:stepsize=6:mincontrast=0.3:tripod=1" \
      -c:v rawvideo -f rawvideo -y /dev/null

ffmpeg -i input_name \
      -vf "vidstabtransform=input=name.trf:smoothing=10:optzoom=1:interpol=bicubic:tripod=1" \
      -c:v libx264 -profile:v high -preset:v faster -tune film -b:v 100000000 \
      -c:a copy -c:s copy -c:d copy -map 0 \
      output_name.mkv 

(3) I import the resulting video file into my NLE (kdenlive in my case).

(The choice of constant bitrate 100MBit/s for the encoding is meant to retain about the quality of the original 100MBit/s files recorded by my LX100, you could of course prefer other formats/parameters for your intermediate files.)

• @Vesku, the results on the examples from their site do look extremely compelling. A shame it seems to be only coded for Windows. Am I imagining things or wasn't there Mercalli on the Mac at one point? Maybe I ran it inside a VM, but I know I've played around with it before.

• I just noticed that my stabilized footage has more contrast than the original. I am wondering if it is because my gh4 range is set 0-255. I am definitely losing delicate highlight detail. This is confirmed on scopes. I am using mercalli v4.

• Why on earth did they make it a standalone program, and not a plugin as in the older versions?

• Because stand alone is more versatile for import / export since it plays the role of third party software and can adapt to any workflow. Plugin only works for 1 software at a time.

• This is a simple and low cost stabilizer for gopros, I wonder if it works.

• @Jspatz

I just noticed that my stabilized footage has more contrast than the original. I am wondering if it is because my gh4 range is set 0-255. I am definitely losing delicate highlight detail. This is confirmed on scopes. I am using mercalli v4.

My Gh4 0-255 Mercalli v4 stabilized files looks just the same as the originals. 0-255 levels both. The previous version converted 0-255 to 16-235.

Is your editor doing some converting or clipping?

• I am very impressed with the CMOS Rolling Shutter/Jitter correction in Mercali V4 SAL. Below is a link to a YouTube example that shows a short clip shot using the Lumix 35-100 at 100mm with ExTele On. This is the worst case for jitter and jello for the 35-100. It is unusable footage as shot, but, when first processed with Mercali's CMOS correction, and then with Warp Stabilizer in PP, it is usable footage. Until now I had decided it was not possible to 'save' any hand-held Lumix 35-100 footage shot with ExTele on. It was always just too wobbly. Not anymore. Mercali V4's CMOS corrections are amazing.

BTW: I did not use Mercali's stabilization, since I no longer see an option to "Fix Border" which would simply Crop. I don't ever want to 'zoom' in to fill the screen during stabilization, since you lose clarity and resolution. So, I use Warp Stabilizer and "crop only". Some people think the black bars are highly objectionable, but...I don't.

I wish that Mercalli would add back in the option to "Fix Border" in their stabilization routines which they had in V2? This results in the same 'crop' balck bars as in PP Warp Stabilizer Crop Only. I also do notice a slight color shift in clips processed via Mercalli V4. I wish this were not there, but...it definitely is visible. Not sure why. It wasn't there in Mercalli V2. It would be nice if the color shift could be solved?

As an aside: Of course the original footage is shaky. I was hunched down, hand-holding a lens with an equivalent FF focal length of 400 mm. Nothing to brace against. I admit I don't have the steadiest hands int he world, especially squatting down in the weeds, but...Mercalli V4 allows me to return to using ExTele mode on the Lumix 35-100. Hooray: it is possible to get some usable footage in that mode!