Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Stabilize footage in post - options
  • 61 Replies sorted by
  • Pass 2 settings are also visible on the attached picture.
  • @Rambo
    With the GH2, the Leicasonic has both auto-exposure and auto-focus in AFS mode. On the GH1, auto-focus doesn't work, but it does support manual focus-assist and auto-exposure. Exposure Lock works as well.

@No_SuRReNDeR
    Unfortunately, there's only one other type of Panasonic Four Thirds lens with OIS - the 45mm f2.8 prime, which doesn't offer much that the Leicasonic 14-50mm already covers.
  • I borrowed my friend's L1. The 14-50 took a couple of secs to do AF on GH2. Also focusing was very noisy. Yes OIS was pretty good. It's being sold like $1000... but why pay that much money when Panasonic plans to release 12-35 and 35-100 with Power OIS next year? I told my friend to sell it before the price plunges. No plan to own any 43 lens. So I'm selling 43 adapter. Gawd... I'm so anti-43...
  • @stonebat

$1000 for the Leicasonic?! More typically $500-$600 used on Amazon. But it's true that the GH2 is dog-slow at auto-focusing legacy Four-Thirds lenses. Try the 14-50mm on your friend's L1 again if you want to see how it was intended to work... and no, I don't expect Panasonic to design anything but compact consumer lenses in the near future.
  • @LPowell Thanks RE the 14 -50mm, back to the drawing board...or rather the waiting room:-(
  • @LPowell Believe in "X". The new 12-35 and 35-100 match FOV from 24-70 and 70-100 on full-frame sensor. Canon, Nikon, Sony have their pro lenses at the focal lengths and constant f2.8. I don't think Panasonic is dumb enough to make theirs at consumer grade. I expect the new lenses will give the best OIS performance. Power OIS is a step forward from Mega OIS. We've been waiting for such lenses since the launch of GH1. More 3rd party m43 lenses are coming next year. No OIS. No AF. Fine. Just make'em cheap. More metals please.

Back to the topic. OIS is great for mitigating "micro" shakes. But it drains the battery faster. A rig can mitigate "macro" shakes and carry a geeky battery. Software Image Stabilization (SIS) is the last resort.
  • maybe we will see an OIS prime by pana in the future. like the upcoming 50mm f1.8 OIS for NEX.

anybody know if you can only allow the software stabilizer to use (matted) top and bottom of the image to stabilize? i always mask of top and bottom in order to get the cinemascope format, but i don't want to loose any side-information or scaling... btw i am using mercalli
  • Regarding the best software, it's also good to determine the learning curve. There are some great stabilizers out there but getting proficient at the plug-in is most of the battle. For my last film, which had some really tough shots due to a Letus adapter on an HV20, I found iStabilize the easiest interface to use and pretty good results. I tried to use Shake, but the parameters of the movement made me have to split up the shots and analyze sections. iStabilize does that well, and it's cheap.
  • @Lincoln11

I totally agree. Even if you have best Prog or plug the main thing is to learn how it works.
  • Shoot a bit wider than you need, use shutter as short as possible to reduce real motion blur as far as possible. Denoise, then stabilize with the tool of your choice, add reelsmart motion blur 0.4-0.6 to fill the gaps in between the frames. Be careful with afx warp stabilizer... it may add a very distracting "flirring"...
  • I wish they could just make an OIS adapter- So like you would put in on the camera first then attach a lens on top....It would "add OIS" to any lens you put on the camera...Seems like that would be possible to me...but I'm not an engineer by any stretch....
  • yes an OIS adapter would be perfect, kinda like a half OIS lens and then you add the rest yourself :)
  • I was thinking maybe I could design this and become a multimillionaire....but then again I doubt it would work.
  • Colour me stupid, but regardless of the OIS mechanism, wouldn't this increase the flange distance? So it could only work if the adapter already had space to work in (i.e. It's a non native lens that's being adapted and the added space was required anyway)

Better to have the OIS in the body, no?
  • AE CS5.5 Warp Stabilizer. With the Adobe special for CS5.5 Master Collection at this time, I am leaning towards buying the entire suite for 800 bucks. With the FCPX fiasco, PP + AE seem a better bet than FCP.
  • @LPowell

Based on you comments about the Leica 14-50 I went and tested and can't see much OIS effect nor can I see it on the 14-140. I remember it being very pronounced on other systems. When a loose tilt knob allowed the VG10 to tilt down suddenly, the image in the viewfinder did not catch up for about a second. I have the switch on and the lcd echoes that OIS mode 1 is active, but the video looks about the same with or without it. Can anyone suggest a test or think of what I might be doing wrong?
  • @Jspatz
    Panasonic's Mega-OIS is designed to smooth out your movements rather than correct gross displacements. Try panning the Leicasonic hand-held - without the OIS it will be difficult to maintain a level pan free of jitters.
  • Someone knows the rolling shutter rate for GH2 HBR 1080 25p ? I need it on deshaker.

• has anybody tested the latest version of Mercalli?

• When I have to, I use the offerings within Boris FX. I have in no way mastered it.
    That said on occasions I have gotten the best result with multiple passes ... often a rotational fix with cropping turned off, followed by horizontal and vertical ... sometimes 1 pass for each.

That is I stabilise 3 times, rather than allowing the software to do all three at once.
    It might be worth a try.

• Is there a good way to stabilize multiple files in batch?

• http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/ The free version works fine as a front end for, I think, de-shaker. Group select your clips, right-mouse over them and stabilize. You can also customize setting.

• Blender has got a great tracking tool, which can also be used to compensate unwanted camera movements.

Moreover, here is a nice add-on to Blender that allows a selective video stabilization, by means of a rudimentary highpass filter to a selected tracking marker:

http://sonneo.blogspot.com/2014/08/better-video-stabilization-in-blender.html

After the filter is applied, only the fast, jittering moves are represented by the marker so that you can use it to get much better stabilization results!

• DaVinci Resolve has a great stabiliser and it's free.

• and fast!