Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Would love another set of eyes
  • Afternoon PV, not sure if this is allowed but if anyone is interested and has a few extra minutes, I'd love for a editor to take a look or anyone who wants to and get some feedback on a recent shoot I'm trying to deliver by the 28th. I've gone over it a few times and think I might be to numb to anything else. I do know where some weaknesses are and I'm not going to put them out there because they might not be real weaknesses. So if anyone has any help or advice, that would be awesome! Of course stuff like, they should not be wearing that, or she was wrong for the part or anything that would entail a reshoot. I love when people give that type of advice, very helpful :)

I don't want to say the product because half of what we were going for would be lost!

Anyways, I'll put a link and password instead of an open link. Thanks again.

paswword: roughcut

• 40 Replies sorted by
  • @vicharris Ooooh, that's where I know her from! Cool! Good acting in your piece by the way :)

• @Wilbo Good eye. She was the lead in Boston Common in the 90's. Friends with my girlfriend. Also was the wife of the lead in Southland. The older, bigger guy. The young couple, the boy, he was Benjamin Bratts son in The Cleaner, so we had some good talent show up. We got a little lucky :)

• Big change coming:)

• it works much better, but I agree that it could still be a little tighter and think some of the above recommendations on that are good ideas. I also still think that the "tampons anonymous" sign reveal could work better perhaps after her story of telling her daughter they're for your nose when she says "how did we all get so embarrassed about tampons" use a take of this in the wide shot to reveal the sign, then you can keep the rest of the cut with the crowd reactions as is.

• @vicharris @_OZ felt the same re the chest pat but clients, can't work with them, can work without them...and starve.

• @vicharris Also, what is that main actress also in? I think I remember her face from my adolescent days 14-15 years ago :)

• @vicharris Yeah, this is a lot better. Runs a lot smoother :)

I think it could still be massaged a little shorter though. For me, after the girlfriend and boyfriend finish talking, the setup is completely sold. You can cut the next line from the Blonde and just into the punchline sequence.

I also agree with @belfryman; cut "we all have our stories".

Then after the speaker says "How did we get so embarrassed about tampons" there are two reactions with lines (you can just use one).

I think that would help the pacing along.

I agree with @maxr, cup sounds and other sound mixing could help (but you already told us the audio is pretty raw so it's kind of a moot point).

Maybe the client can come up with a better final title, but your placeholder text works fine for me. I read it as rhetorical, not awkward sentence structure... But what do I know? I like to write in sentence fragments and trail my sentences off because...

Anyway, again great job overall!!! I think we're really all just nit picking :)

-w

• @vicharris This is quite good. With the proper announcement of the company who is advertising their product added to the end of this, most people would consider this a clever pro level commercial made by a big company. You should be proud - this is a serious accomplishment. Congrats. (Tell em I said you deserve a bonus above and beyond fee agreed upon.) Keep rockin

• @rockroadpix

Thanks man. As for that, it;s going to change. It was just a sort of place holder. The powers to be will let me know what to put there ;)

@_OZ

The chest pat was particularly asked for by the client. One of my later passes had it out and I was "asked" told to put it back in the final. Period! hehehe

As for the "they're just tampons" part, already done since I posted the edit you saw :) Lost 2 or 3 secs there. It comes right back from the other ladies reactions to that last line.

@maxr

Ahhhhhhhh, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. Damn internet loses so much translation and feel :)

Thanks for the advice on the buddy situation. Probably alcohol is the way to go!

• Definitely way better.

I would jump from "embarrassed about tampons" to "they're just tampons" with less time between.

Also, her lines are for the most part delivered sincerely (without a wink and a nod) which is critical for the gag. However, the shot of her hitting her chest and saying "thank you for that story" is somehow a bit more like a parody and for me stands out a bit. It could be just me, so please take that with a grain of salt.

Overall, nice work and keeps getting better!

O

• Really like it. This may have been mentioned previously. I'm exhausted from prepping two commercial shoots, but "Embarressed"?

• I know I am entering "personal" territory but I'll give reds some spotlight (?) - you know tampons, menstruation, blood, kind of assuming also in a visual way - I just have this weird ideas, je je

I have to tell a buddy that something he wrote, starred in and possibly shot might be one of the worst things I've ever seen and he can't let anyone see it. Not sure how I'm going to do that!

2 options
    a. is your friend, just tell him, clear and openheartedly
    b. get him and yourself drunk, this one may imply some money, time, tears and probably a hangover, ja ja ja

all good

• @maxr

The sound of the cup, needed, also a "pinch of uncomfortable sounds" ( Yep, real sound stuff done yet)

I understand the girl raising her arm to talk, but that part just feels strange, guess that's because I am a rude man and the only thing I'll raise... forget it (Prob personal taste) :-)

The curly girl's "wear them proud" needs some kind of emphasis or cut out (Yep, going to punch it up!)

1 more sec in last phrase "Isn't time..." or better, rephrase; anyway sounds really awkward... why the question and not and affirmation? Time for a company not to be embarrassed about tampons (It was pretty much a place marker till they came up with something better but you're right)

I know I am entering "personal" territory but I'll give reds some spotlight (?)

PS I forgot most important: kudos it's looking really nice :-) (Thanks man. I'm tyring to pretend I'm an edito over here, now let's see how the CC and grading go!!!!!)

Thanks again for all your advice. Glad I have a place to sort of bring this offline before it's delivered to get good, honest feedback. Little easier to give your advice online than in person. I have to tell a buddy that something he wrote, starred in and possibly shot might be one of the worst things I've ever seen and he can't let anyone see it. Not sure how I'm going to do that!

• @vicharris No, sure that's a big choice they made early on and for some people it will work, just me re the nose tampon, I write a lot of scripts, cut a looooot of scriptsand kill a lot of babies so a child is nothing to me! I think you'd get away with cutting really close to they're just tampons, I know what you mean logically about seeing the break of the wall but I'll bet if you try it without it would work. But this is just twiddly tweaks of what could or could not play better works a million times better now. Nice one.

• The sound of the cup, needed, also a "pinch of uncomfortable sounds"

I understand the girl raising her arm to talk, but that part just feels strange, guess that's because I am a
    rude man and the only thing I'll raise... forget it

The curly girl's "wear them proud" needs some kind of emphasis or cut out

1 more sec in last phrase "Isn't time..." or better, rephrase; anyway sounds really awkward... why the question and not and affirmation? Time for a company not to be embarrassed about tampons

I know I am entering "personal" territory but I'll give reds some spotlight

PS
    I forgot most important: kudos it's looking really nice :-)

• @belfryman Thanks for taking a look again. I haven't done much in the way of sound editing. Levels aren't right and there's no fades, blah blah blah. So for sure, that will be cleaned up with dialogue you can't here yet. I agree with a shorter shot of her before she says just tampons but we don't have it. I want her to go from looking at the audience, to breaking the fourth wall there and that's the shortest one we have. Doesn't look right if we come right into it with her looking down the barrel. As for cutting the whole bloody nose part and the end with the little girl, well, that's just not going to happen. People who make more money than me and sign checks are pretty proud of all that :) I'll see if I have time to maybe piece together something like that and see how it plays. Kinda running low on time though, as usual!

• @CFreak

Thanks man. Good to get an opinion from someone who's worked around this product!

@astraban

I agree with the sign we see but I need to get away that cut at that point for some reason, I can't remember why. Maybe the camera moved too much or something. I have another shot and it's always a balance and a sacrifice for a low budget shoot. I'm sure English not being your native language doesn't help though :) Haven't had that feedback yet but I would like to stay on it a sec longer since it's a comedic element. I'll check out that shot at :31 too. Thanks for checking it out as well. I don't mind constructive criticism at all. It's the only way we can get better!!

• And I'm sure you wouldn't be able to do that and it might be wrong, be nice to see and compare though. Would need something like 'God' before how did we get so embarrassed which probably isn't there anyway.

• Tons tighter. If anything I would cut the line we all have our stories and come back in with I knew after the cutaway and could just shorten the beat before she says they're just tampons, I can't make out the line that is being said underneath that just tampons shot though, so maybe I'm just being deaf an that would make it work. It's a script thing really, but I would want to cut from thank you for that story to..how did we all get so embarassed about tampons, once you've seen the sign and heard it's about tampons the gag is over, though you're going for the topper with the tampon up the nose for me it adds a lot of bulk in the script I'd want to cut.

• Funny. In my opinion you could add just a fraction of second for the final written sentence (it was hard to completly read it the 1st time)... but english is not my thing, so maybe for natives it's long enough. Ps : And with the cruelty of a fresh eye who can cut every performance (just for the rythm/dynamism of the moment) : I would shorten the shot at 0:31 when the woman say no with her head. I would just cut the beginning and let the end with her face down and up when she looks the girl on her right side. 2c

• Nice. It works. Congrats. I once worked on a commercial for playtex in NYC for Gray Advertising. Whenever people stopped to ask what we were filming they looked put off by the answer "Playtex". One guy with his date said "Well somebody's got to make the commercials". lol.

• Well that's odd. Let me take a look. Fixed. Looks like it plays right in here now.

• Mmm, link sent me to me own youtube vids.

• OK, here's a ruthlessly cut version! I threw peoples footage on the floor with reckless abandonment and little disregard for personal feelings!!! :) Think I've cut out 40 seconds or so and threw in the pick-up shot at the end and yes, I know the little girls skin is the EXACT same as the damn wall!!!!! Ya get what you can get people :) Anyways for those that took a look before again @digger @_OZ @Wilbo @belfryman @maxr or whoever else wants to take a look before I picture lock this damn thing, I'd love to hear another round of feedback. Think we're pretty close here as different people will always have things they like and hate about edits. Just have to find the middle ground.

Thanks guys

You'll have to copy and paste this link I believe.