Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @Maya " if the audio is 23.976"

Audio isn't recorded as fps. The same 1 second of audio will sync perfectly to the same shot on video whether that video is recoded at 23.976, 24 exactly, 29.97 or 59.94.

• Ah, the horror show that is NTSC, 3:2 pulldown, etc! Probably hasn't been a good thread on that since, what, the early DVX100 days...

• @BurnetRhoades

Film has been recording at exactly 24 fps with dual system sound for decades. I don't see how this will be a problem. 1 second of sound lasts 1 second, regardless of the frame rate of the video. (At least, it should.)

Aside from that, I'm accustomed to sync drift. Seems that every DV camera in the world can record at exactly the same rate, but for some reason audio devices vary wildly in their timing.

• @Driftwood @BurnettRhoades I'm a little confused at the 23.98 and 24p talk here. What is the advantage of one over the other? Which one is best suited if my end goal is to project in a movie theater? Is one better for Bluray than the other?

• @Maya The audio is baked into whatever the frame rate is set in the Cluster X setting. Do your test! Conversion to other frame rates is a different problem.

• @Driftwood Wow awesome! Thanks for all you!

• @BurnetRhoades yes u r rite audio usually jumps when u convert 23.976p to 24p so, it must be true that camera might not get a sync audio record with the video. it might loose sync after 120 seconds hopefully. [.025x.1x10 = 40 second = 1 frame] every 40 seconds 23.976p mode drops a frame. but 24p mode doesn't. if the audio is 23.976 and video is 24 it will be on place for around 2 minutes [40x3 = 120]. after 2 minutes gradually the sync will be lost. the audio will be badly placed by the camera if the shot is over 6 minutes. i will sure use 24p mode if i am shooting a film and most shots are set to capture below 1 minute duration. @driftwood yes i understood but 24p is it possible to fix the audio to keep the audio and video sync for atleast 6 minutes??

• @Maya There's two variations to try out. One at 24p the other at 23.976. 25p on a 24p setting? Its not a stupid question but within the confines of the ptools we have - its unlikely. Its just a timing trick to round to 24 frames. Syncing with other cams could be a problem, some NLE's may have problems interpretting it - try it out and report back. We already know its fine for bluray.

@the_cubaner Good lill' test - which version of Apocalypse did you use? FYI moon T7 has a better quantisation spread over the Apocalypse settings.

@T1000 None much visibly with the Cluster X Series! It's all dependent on which side of the fence you stand.

Simply put, some people adore Intra for motion and a fresh compressed frame for each frame but it consumes more bitrate than over a greater GOP like 3, 6 or classic 12/15. Long GOP (from Spizz to DREWnet) employ predictive p/b frames to 'sample' along with motion prediction where macroblocks should be reused from the previous frame. This understandably saves on memory.

Modern encoders like that of what is in the GH2 (h264) do a great job of prediction with its rate control and quantisation and can achieve almost identical looking pictures at half the bitrate (e.g. moon T7 uses around 147Mbps on average wherever it can - whereas DREWnet only uses 78Mbps to achieve the same quality. Most people can't tell the difference. But motion is defo better in moon/Intra. Both moon T7 and Drewnet plus all the new Cluster X settings coming are balanced on similar levels to each other but according to their GOP structure. However, Long GOP is definitely more computationaly expensive than moon on the processor - so there's only so far you can push it in the GH2. The greater than GOP the more computations. The lower the GOP the more bitrate expensive. :-) Hope that helps.

• @driftwood.

What are the main advantages and disadvantages between MoonT7 and DREWnet T9?

• I upgraded from the old "apocalypse intra" to the new "Moon T7 intra" one hour ago and it looks fantastic! More details, same sharpness, AWESOME! - See the testscreen at the bottom. GH2, ISO 1600

In the next days, I testing some other stuff.

Moon_T7_intra__VS__apocalypse_intra.jpg
    1920 x 1102 - 713K
  • @driftwood is it really a 24p instead of 23.976?? how this became possible?? this may be a stupid question but if this is true do future hack can be set to 25p?? 24p in reality does it affect audio?? on conversion in 5drgb usually it does if i set 23.976 to 24. do this?

• My FINAL 'Driftwood' tested version of DREWnet T9 (classic Long GOP) is now up on page 1. Its a truly brilliant setting.

A new version of Nebula 6 GOP will be up on page 1 shortly utilising the findings of my latest research.

• @act

Did you try Slipstream #1B? Worked great for me. My camera functioned like it was using stock firmware - but shoots at 3 times the bit rate of the highest stock setting on 24H. (72Mb/s I believe.) No freezes, playback in camera, spanning etc. etc. ALSO... worked fine on my SanDisk 30Mb/s 32GB card! Mr. Driftwood has taken care of just about everyone's needs. In my humble opinion.

You'll find it here...then go to page 1

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6429/driftwood-clusterx-series-2moonЅrіzznebuladrewnetslipstream-redshift/p1

• @act Give Cluster X DREWnet a try - most recordings around the 78-80Mbps for 24p H. Is that too much? Nebula will be coming soon but there doesn't seem much interest from the majority in a mid GOP like Nebula's 6 allround.

These Trial settings as you can see over the months from users work very well - and though they are experimental to a degree - they are kicked into shape over time until rock stable. At higher bitrates we can't guarantee spanning on all modes (can anyone?!). But rest assured with the card you have, moon T5, T7, Drewnet T8 and other Driftwood settings on 24p span reliably.

As you can see I'm mainly researching best quality at each GOP. Redshift is good low bitrate setting - try it too. Apart from that there's plenty of low bitrate settings around outside the House of Driftwood.

• Hi! I have not been updated since Cluster v.6_6 Nebular. Actually, I tried about 3 newer settings, but can't find any most stable settings without bugs for long recordings at all modes.

I'd like know if there are newer settings with same stability, no freezes, spanning at all modes and about 44Mb/s @24L and 88Mb/s @24H. (I use Sandisk 64GB 45MB/s and 95MB/s) You know, we can't risk with client's "one of the lifetime" event like wedding, so, no way for using trial settings. But I don't stack with this old settings. I've seen that only one new settings Red Shift "on paper" looks like Cluster v.6_6 Nebular. But almost nobody post here clips about Red Shift, is it better then Cluster v.6_6 Nebular? What new settings have same stability like Cluster v.6_6 Nebular and worst to update from it?

• Bring the revox.

BTW: Right, final DREWnet T9 being uploaded .

• lol... just make sure u pack the ol' sound devices so u can get the 48.048 k audio to match up..

no probs in post

• Guys, for non-narrative based stuff the 24p setting could prove useful so Im leaving it as a alternative.

• Figured your were referring to drift. Thanks for heads up

• You will get sync drift in your audio if you shoot at 24fps. ALL "24P" cameras shooting at 23.98fps is not an arbitrary fact and it has nothing to do with "video look" like dear Jim is going on about.

24fps, don't do it, or, go with God. It's not my headache.

• @burnetrhoades are you saying that the audio recorders record in 23.976 fps. never heard of it before.

• @BurnetRhoades Not too familiar with this, but are you saying if I shoot 24P and have audio recorded on separate recorder and I use a clapper board, that the syncing will be impossible. ..or is just the sync drifts out of sync after awhile? So I guess 23.976 makes syncing with clapper board accurate?

• @Jim_Simon you're not going to love the 24P thing once you have to sync up to non-throw-away audio recorded on an external device. There's a reason 23.976 exists. It's called post production.

• ı really like the idea of having 24 fps insted of 23.976. I can not do the tests cause my 2011 MBP's discrete radeon graphics card died on me last night and All I see the apple during the boot up than just gray screen. it is gonna take sometime to get it fixed ı guess. now I am left with an İpad. at least ı can follow the posts.keep testing guys.hope to cacth you up soon.

• @Jim_Simon Yep just goto ptools, open the sete/24p moon T7 variation setting, then under the section titled 'GOP Related' in 'Patches for Testers' uncheck the GOPx2 Time for each of the ones you want to switch back to default - ie uncheck 720p60GOP x2 Time and 1080i60GOP x2 Time. Of course, don't uncheck the 1080p24GOPx2 Time. Then youre done. Save patch with shift to a new letter, then save firmware to sd card and flash your newly created firmware.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters