Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Third party batteries
  • 199 Replies sorted by
  • @soundgh2 I'm doing a simple test where I run the GH2 with the LCD open to see how long it will record. Can you run this test and get back to us on which battery records the longest?

• OK. Here is my basic battery test. I'm using flowmotion, in case that matters. I pointed the GH2 at a book case and recorded video with the LCD open and on. I took a one minute break to change cards, as that seemed a common thing to do. I ran the test several times, and then again with the LCD off. In my test, the LCD made very little difference in the time. Stock battery: Two and one half hours recording (150 minutes), plus or minus five minutes. At the end, the battery indicator flashes red and the cam shuts down properly.

Aftermarket battery dtste. I bought this from eBay seller DSTEBATTERY. Supposedly 1600 mAh as opposed to the stock 1200 mah. Run time 90 minutes, no battery indicator, no proper shutdown. Battery worked OK, but this 1600 mAh battery is really at best 800 mAh. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170654448208 Bottom line: 60 percent power of stock, false claims by the seller as to power, no battery indicator on screen, bad shutdown. Seller says, and I quote "this battery is a coded battery,the battery all power is 100% 1600mAh,but when it working,it need Shunt some power to coded" which is still a false claim about the power.

If you own a battery with higher power than stock, please repeat this simple test and post your results.

• I was looking in Aliexpress for GH2 batteries and I found this one for 19$. In the picture provided by the seller it looks like the original Lumix battery with the logo (poorly) hidden. The specs looks good (but as always with these chinese stuff, not something you can really trust). http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/520260132-DMW-BLC12-for-Panasonic-Digital-Camera-rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-DMC-GH2-wholesalers.html

I contacted the seller and this is what he answer:

Sunny Liu: Hello, Good morning, That battery is for the GH2 camera decoded, but can't show the battery life indicator in the camera LCD, The battery is OEM battery, it is same as in the picture, The battery can be charged in the original charger.

Hope we can reached a agreement and cooperation with you! Thank you!

Best Regards!

Anyone has an experience with these battery?

• No, but it's always the same: different understanding of "decoded" between seller and buyer ;-)

It will probably work in the GH2, but it'll shut down without warning. You'll have to live with that until a true "decoded" (hacked?) battery is coming from any third party…

• I think it'll work as you said: it'll charge on the original charger and it'll shutdown without warning. What grabbed my attention was the picture of the battery (apparently as the seller said it's the one you'll actually get): it's the original battery with some tape covering the lumix & Panasonic logo.

DMW-BLC12-for-Panasonic-Digital-Camera-rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-DMC-GH2.jpg
    300 x 287 - 17K
  • @DrDave sorry for late reply Doc - I'll run the rundown this weekend on all the batteries

• Not sure is you guys saw my warning of GH2 components heating up ( burning smell) as the voltage begins to drop on the after market batteries (DSTEbrand) towards the end of discharge. Be careful.

• @Rambo thanks for the warning--I wish I had a video of me periodically sniffing the cam--I had no heat issues even after 2 1/2 hours. But who knows what is inside these batteries? There might be a step up converter that kicks in at the end, so it is worth watching out for. @Soundgh2 thanks for doing this, I think those of us who have bought batteries can at least say roughly how long they last. Until I ran the test, I figured I was good for ten percent longer than stock--alas, not so. What a scam. But I bet there are some decent ones out there. I would be willing to bet the Wasabis are decent, but I now have three batteries.

• @DrDave, it was my GH2 that had the burning smell not the battery, I think part the original Panny battery shut down protection is to guard against low voltage as it approaches full discharge. You're not alone mate, I sniff my camera all the time now.....and give it a little smooch while I'm at it...lol.

• That's one of the reasons I only buy Wasabi aftermarket batteries Rambo. They always work and they don't make any wild claims, they've never harmed any of the cameras I've used them in...did I mention they work.

I did buy another brand for the 160 because I couldn't find Wasabi's for it. Haven't tried it yet and will do so very carefully.

• @peternap if you have the Wasabis for the GH2 I would be interested if they run a bit longer if you can run the nonstop video test.

• @DrDave I'll try to run one later today but I doubt they do run longer, they're just inexpensive and I can swap them out often during the day.

• Hey, who knows? Thanks.

• I dont think you will really get the battery on the picture. it might even be an original picture with bad photoshop. who knows. it will just be another third party battery with no life indicator. and its no big deal.

• What's special about this one? They don't even claim it will communicate with the GH2.

• It's printed 1800mAh which is better, but who knows if it's true or not...

• To all of you guys in this topic, mind my advice:
    avoid using 3rd party batteries and like our p-v mate @kazuo wrote about this several times "go around it like a plague" and I agree with him 100%

(bold letters edited, just wanted to save p-v mates from problems, but bold looked like screaming indeed)

• @tetakpatak

No need to go to the topic and make bold statement, even if you agree 100%.

• Think @tetakpatak is just concerned cos he probably had terrible experience with 3rd parties. It's a disaster when your gear fails on set, in front of your clients.

• Exactly, 3rd party battery died without warning just short before GH2 was spanning important file. 3,9GB of very important file was ruined, just ruined. None of the recovery softwares could save more than plenty of 5sec fragments from that file- fragments without any order. It would never has happened with original Panasonic battery, as the camera saves the file before shutting itself down when battery gets exhausted. If my GH1s haven't been running at same time, I would get into greatest troubles as it was live Blue-Ray production.

I remember what happened to your camera due to 3rd party batteries, @kazuo and I will be just happy if anybody gets the message why to see them as "plague" and it saves him from the troubles.

• I will be just happy if anybody gets the message why to see them as "plague" and it saves him from the troubles.

I really suggest to use logic instead of emotions here.

• I bought a couple of third party batteries that were rated higher than the stock one, and popped them in the cam and timed the recording until they croaked. None of them lasted as long as the stock battery. If you buy one, test it and post the results. Miss the GH1 battery......