Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • @vicharris I wish you'd started your post with, "I feel like I've been taking crazy pills here!" That one was a classic. X^D

Thank you for confirming the info. :)

• SO can anyone make a resume on best settings, I know every shot must be planned an set up, but for general purpose and I'm new to the camera, using mostly, natural contrast -3 / sharp-2 / saturation 0 / noise -3 almost always in .mov 60p or all intra 72 at 30p.

Please don't explain everything again just resume, your best settings and WHY?

THANKS ALL

• @leonbeas • Standard because I simply prefer it.

• -3-3-3-3 All of these can be brought back "up" in post if I need or want.

• 50Mb/s modes only. Because the All Intra modes aren't high enough bit rate until the camera gets a hack.

That's me personally. The best way to find out your best settings is to personally test and compare... again and again.

PS: "Please don't explain everything again just resume, your best settings and WHY?"

You're asking something that's hard to do as only YOU knows what, "don't explain everything again" means.

Good luck to you.

• LOL... your right. It means I understand all the Technic information just want to know what settings you use and the reason why. I'm personaly fighting against so many options to setup, trying to understand how camera reacts on so many setting combinations. I don't get the sweet point in colours yet its hard on this camera to get proper skintones but for the price its ok. I miss the RGB adjustment in the 5D (jejeje) Also the auto-focus sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Don't know if its me or the camera or what. And yes the EVF is useless for focus, nice though for 3rd stabilization point, when shooting video.

Can you please explain more in depth the standard option? "Standard because I simply prefer it."

Thanks.

• @leonbeas

I like standard dialed down because it puts the footage in a range the I can work with in post. Using Natural dialed down looses too much info in the flesh tones for me.

• I heard that Portrait yields the greatest dynamic range. How true is this? Would shooting standard and applying an inverse S-curve (not that I would do that) produce the same result, or are we actually getting more information from the sensor? I've been shooting at -5/-2/-2/0, mostly because I don't want to risk losing colour information and have no encountered any moire at those settings.

• @wgtwo Never heard that about Portrait. I seem to get the best results from Standard and Natural all dialed down to -3 or more.

• Hi, I followed your discussion, because of the same questions. To get a better idea I put following for me together. A Comparison between AVCHD, MOV, MOV all i and picture settings using GH3 and FCPX.

What do you think?

• @a_a_

FYI: Your video isn't working :/

• You are right, it took me some patience too, to get it out to youtube. Should be there by now. :-)

• @a_a_ Appreciate it, but the problem is, you can't really see all that much with each video being at such a low resolution. 1920x540 crops would be better. Also, AVCHD vs MOV is a little pointless given that the difference is only really visible after practical post production, and YouTube compression more or less renders them the same.

I would love to see a definitive explanation of what each of the color modes do. I really don't see why Panasonic doesn't release technical specifications in this regard.

• wgtwo, thought about that too. I first tried to put it in HD+Apple ProRes 422 which gives me some fat 2 GB for this little one. My Internet then collapses :/. Do you have an idea what is a decent format, which will do the trick?

Refering to the cropping, i did maintain the pixels cropping from each track the outer margin away, which leaves me with the fillet area concerning lens and center focus control. Then I shifted this area into a corner maintaining its size and resolution. Shifting and cropping was done with definite coordinates from the keyboard, to prevent half px moving using a mouse. This way the 4 respectively 3 snippets can be seen side by side in original size & resolution.

With the native files on my screen I do see a visible difference between the codecs looking at the semitransparent blossoms and the hairy surface of the stems. AVCHD seems smoother or a bit more blurry to me. Furthermore pulling sharpness, contrast and noise reduction down to -5 left to my eyes the tiny details intact, especially nearby the edges and using MOV all i. And that should be the treasure for the creative part.

• Uploading it in a different format won't change a thing, YouTube does its compression server-side regardless of what you upload. Your best option would be to upload to Vimeo and allow people to download the original cut as a high bitrate (like, 30-40mpbs or so) H264.

• thaks for the feedback @maddog15

• @leonbeas for me the best settings are natural or standard (almost the same) saturation for sure -2 or -3 if the light is enough because saturation in 0 is fake color, it is oversaturaded and believe me if you put 20-30% saturation in post when shoot in -2 -3 you have better color than shooting in 0, I have two examples uploaded in this forum that show in-camera contrast is noisier if you want to push the midtones, means less dynamic range, but for quick shots and quick edits you can use incamera contrast, at least it is not fake. Noise reduction is blury and cannot save your footage in bad lightning conditions so I keep it in -5. Sharpen -5 for real pixels

• mov is a little-little bit noisier than avchd. 50 mbps is better than alli till now, and as philip bloom says, he prefers generally manual focus, ok gh3 is very good in auto focus but it has to hunt a bit when changes focus, in low light it hunts a lot but I dont care, I use only manual

• @Starios Do you use some noise reduction software when editing your footage shot at -5 NR? If so, any recommendations?

• @starios thanks for the feedback.

I just got to see some simple footaje on an 1080p tv and, WOW amazed really this camera is the best for this price range I did the right choice. ;-)

With enough light it rocks, you can use it without perceptible noise to iso 800, and very usable footage to 3200, past that is just for emergencies...

Join the GH3 with fast good lenses and you can really be close to + 8000dll camera. BlackMagic as its pros and cons, but lacks GH3 versatility. (don't need to specify).

And as for settings I found myself using natural for low light, and standard for good light situations. Why because colour temp. white balance, for me natural respond better to high ISO it keep more subtle colours (not scientific just appreciative opinion). Maybe because is less saturated and high ISO tend to make more noise in colour channels, ;-)

as for numbers I don't go (yet) with -5 think that it looses precious image information, like skintones, highlights, and too much noise (so much better then canon DSLRs though).

I do miss precise RGB colour correction, if possible that would be amazing in a hack. There is some magenta and yellows tendency most of the time that would be nice to correct in camera.

Greetings

• @jonpais I use neat video 2.6 in premiere cs6, it is the best noise reduction for me but needs 15-20 times the length of the video to export in 4 cores 3.2ghz, unfortunately it doesn't work faster with 8 cores or gpu even the version 3.0 i tried in after effects. @leonbeas I used to believe iso 1600 is the maximum useful for gh3 but from some tests of mine and samples from other users I believe now that everything is relative to the lens, the light, the dark areas. I've seen some sample videos with the g-vario 20mm f/1.7 or voigtlander and the 6400 looks completely different from my 6400 :)

• I'm amazed at the amount of information available when grading footage with an all flat setting. Some shots are better than others but grading the 50Mb/s footage seems more forgiving than 72Mb/s All Intra. The "Before" of each is straight out of the camera. (All shot on Standard -5 -5 -5 -5.) Then CC/grading applied in Premiere Pro CS6.

• Looks real good @maddog15

Was this AVCHD or MOV mode?

• @griplimited. Thanks. Sorry there was a typo in the title. All were shot in MOV 50Mb/s IPB mode. (Not 30Mb/s)

• @maddog15 really nice test and very nice place to go to. :-)

I will try to explain myself because I'm Portuguese living in Mexico writing in English LOL.

My personal impression is that all -5 gives a slightly grey feeling to some colours, and in highlights you loose some naturality in brightness information that is not easy to recover latter in post.

If it would be possible, try to do the same test but leave it all at -2 or -3 and you will notice this. Grade it more subtle and you will find that colours are more rich, and highlights more vivid I'm not talking about contrast its different. And as for skin tones or red pink and related colours in screen is much more noticeable.

BUT hey is like talking about beauty every person has it's sensitivity, in colour and photography style are absolutely personal and each video project as it's own character.

@starios yes I see that too.

• As I promised, after trying to solve the infinity focus problem with my c-mount lens, I finally stuck with epoxy glue the c-mount screw removing completely the rear flange of the lense and here is my first noisy sample at f/1.2 By mistake I shot it in 72alli, damn, more noise.