Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • A hack is not an overnight thing. Look at the GH3. And there's no guarantee that Vitality will make the camera a priority yet. Maybe once Vitality has cracked the GH3 case, his experience will make it easier to get access to the G6 encoding. We'll see.

• @nac .....on julians posted video comparison of the g6 and gh2, I saw mud in the moving water next to the ship. On cameralabs venetian water, it looked so much cleaner. Give me an example.

• @nac, some of those clips were interlaced. THat's a whole different nut to crack.

• @nac It really depends on what you value in your images. With a hacked GH2, you'll see less mud and smoother motion in the finer details of scenes with a lot of movement. But arguably the stock G6 image can still be nicer, depending on the conditions. The image has less contrast, smoother highlights and shadows, and less yellow shift. Not to mention that the image can be made much flatter and the shadows are more liftable, which helps if shooting for the grade in certain lighting conditions.

But all that said, I think we can all agree that a hacked G6 is what we want.

• Agreed!

And a hacked GH3! (headphone jack!)

• @cde I agree that motion its not as smooth as the GH2 but I do believe that most of these videos probably haven't been shoot @24p 1/50 and that may also be the cause of it jerky motion... And although I already pre-ordered a G6, there's a "quality" on the GH2 comparison videos that I somehow like better, don't know exactly what though. But I'm already waiting for a hack ;)

• Nice thread guys :)

I guess it really depends on what your primary focus is. If you shoot mainly static scenes then i think the G6 will work out fine. But if you tend to shoot lots of water or scenes with tons of movement then I feel the G6 wont cut it. No amount of post or Neat filtering is going to fix a lack of bit-rate where all the detail has turned into mud.

Looking around there are so many good examples of GH3 and GH2 footage which is just fantastic, I don't think the G6 samples so far can compete. Here is a few:-

(shot with Gh3), and
    (shot with GH2).

I was originally thinking of getting a G6, but now I leaning towards saving up for the GH3. Or perhaps keep the GH2 and buy a nice lens. I'll wait for the G6 release and some more "filmic" samples before placing any orders. It's just a pity the GH3 is missing focus peeking.

• @nac....for the second request....I'd really like you to please point out a moment in that first venetian waterway clip from cameralabs exactly where you see any "mud" , or any motion artifacts, and as vulgatron correctly pointed out, we have no idea what shutter speed or framerate these clips were shot. Hey ...to me so far, they look as good as my hacked gh1 running reliable playback. And I'm not going to sundance...this century anyways ! Maybe I'll be disappointed and will also wait for the gh3 to drop in price. Or maybe the bmpcc will storm the gates. And only Vitaliy can answer how high on his hacking list the g6 will fall...vs. the gh3. I would tend to think the g6 would be the more interesting candidate.

• @nac Other making of videos for the testimonial series about the GH3 were shot with an unhacked GH2 at 720p50/60, as per Panasonic's requirements, so I imagine that was as well. That would be 17mbps.

• @kurth... I think there is something wrong with that venetian waterway clip. I have downloaded the MTS file and to me it looks way too soft, all the detail is missing. Sorry I'm not sure of the correct words to use, but to me the water is murky and lacks the detail, like it has been over filtered or something. I have probably been spoilt with the hacked GH2 (flowmotion hack).

@Cde... With the BTS, you are correct it was 60p. I was just posting a few examples of what the GH2 and GH3 can do in the hands of a pro. Not sure a G6 could match that, we will have to wait and see.

• @kurth there's plenty of mud in those canals and the smell can be quite off-putting at times ;).

What disappoints me about the daytime canal scene is what I perceive as a lack of the crisp detail that I get with a hacked GH2 running Flowmotion 2.02. It's possible that the canal scene was shot on lower sharpness settings or with other tweaks than mean it will edit in post very well, but the canal scene has a certain look to me that I would describe as a bit "gritty" for my tastes compared to what I am used to with my hacked GH2 or have seen on some GH3 videos. Then when I look at other G6 original footage, it looks more pleasing to me. I don't know what settings were used for the G6 footage and this may be the reason that to my eyes at least, the G6 footage doesn't impress me like a hacked GH2 or a GH3.

It seems that I'm in the same camp as nac in that I hoped the G6 would be a cost-effective upgrade to the GH2. The possibility of a hack in the future could make it top the GH2 for me, but from what I have seen so far of the G6, I feel that I should either keep using my hacked GH2 and wait for the next-gen, or buy a GH3. I will easily change my mind if I see something different in later footage. Fingers crossed......

• @groovejet And yet...

Looks pretty damn sharp to me. Vimeo and uploader compression aside.

• @Cde... Ha, that clip shows the issues i am talking about. The water and moving rocky roads scenes are a horrible mess. Yes it has been sharpened, too much i think.

• @Cde Thanks for the video link. I've watched it previously when it was linked to this thread. That guy certainly has some talent. I still haven't seen proof that the G6 is right for me. My current options seem to be: 1. keep using my hacked GH2 and wait for future releases 2. get a GH3

I'm currently favouring option #1, but if the G6 turns out to be a real winner then I may be tempted.

• Am I the only one thinking "skip all this drama, I'm getting a BPCC"?

• @Stylz

The question is, will it really launch in July. We know that the G6 is imminent.

• I've found another semi-review with video footage on it.

What you guys think?

• Sure important for many out there: Again no live picture while recording over the HDMI!

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/digital-cameras/1299940/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g6/2 (It is mentioned in the middle of this page.)

Kind of a "no go" for me personally. Because I already have an external monitor I want to use. And because the GH2 is still better through the hacks, the G6 is actually not interesting any more.

Lg, Tscheckoff

• @vulgatron.. To me it seems that they are using a G6 and GH3 to film that shoot. I can see the GH3 in some scenes. I would also speculate that the good parts of the clip were filmed with the GH3, the not so good parts with the G6. Anyone care to comment?

• @nac as far as I know, all the footage from that video it's a "behind the scenes" feature filmed entirely with a G6, you can read the description here: http://www.discovermirrorless.com/hybrid-photography/behind-the-scenes-of-a-commercial-hybrid-advertising-campaign/

• @vulgatron.. Sorry i have to disagree, to me its obvious that there at least two different cams being used in that shoot. For example in the first interview he is holding the g6, it cant be shooting. I read some stuff on those sites linked and they do mention that a GH3 was being used to some extent. eg "In fact Giulio had only brought his GH3 and assortment of lenses to shoot this job. If for some unforeseen reason the GH3 were to stop working, the G6 would have been used as the main camera without a second thought." Perhaps I'm missing something.

• @nac Right, the intro shoot where Steve (I think that's his name, not sure...) is talking and showing the G6 has to be filmed with the GH3, but I believe the rest of it it's the G6? As he says "Originally I was brought in to assist Giulio, but I’ve also been capturing all of the behind the scenes content and additional material for the client on the new unreleased Panasonic Lumix G6."

• @nac...why are you guys so cynical ? He says it's a behind the scenes video shot with the g6. I see the gh3 in almost every scene. That obviously means he wasn't shooting this video with the gh3 !

• Sorry guys i am not trying to be. I'm in the same position as some of you, deciding if i should get a G6 when it comes out. I guess I'm a little disappointed that i am just not seeing any large video IQ improvements over a hacked GH2. So unless Panasonic improve the compression before official release, which i doubt will happen, then i'll pass on the G6.

With regards to the "behind the scenes" video, IMHO its clear to me that the best IQ parts of the clip are the interview sections where the GH3 was used, the rest is well bellow what a hacked GH2 can do. The compression artifacts are very apparent. I just don't want some to think that the whole video was G6.

I think the G6 will be fantastic, in fact i am currently recommending it to a friend at work.

• I don't think anyone here thinks the g6 will out perform a hacked gh2 with flowmotion. I just hope it outperforms the gh2 stock when it was released...with all of the other improvements as well .