Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @maxr

the black spots happen when the CMOS sensor is overloaded with light and it can be fixed very easily. it used to be a problem on red one cameras too until they fixed it.

• could the black holes/spots have something to do with the camera's highlight sharpness settings?

• 99 Luftballons

• haha. all you can do is just laugh about it. someone needs to make a spoof BM video of this.

• I'm surprised that people are so upset about the white orbs. The sensor was originally designed by BASF for cameras that are used by paranormal researchers to take photos in special conditions.

Also great for working with one of these.

http://tinyurl.com/kf5owcs

• i see these orbs on my footage. its a shame, I dont point the cam at bright shiny objects anymore so I can still live in the dream =) saying that, a hot pixel just poped up on my display screen lol. they could have used a better hi res screen imo. ah well.

• @shian interesting. I thought JB said that the sensor wasn't the same, but the tech was.

I think BM need to put this to bed as quickly as possible, good or bad news. But, I'm very disappointed about the community reaction to JB as he's just a guy doing a job and a good one at that.

• @itimjim as it turns out they don't

• Jim Jannard sez " All you camera peepers are so picky picky picky! Keep it up and I'm building a RED shuttle to the RED planet, you know....where John Carter lives.... and I'm taking ALL my cameras with me! NO CAMERAS FOR YOU!! What?!! They're not trashing RED cameras? WTF? BMPCC? How can they crank out cameras so fast? .....Everyone is Kung Fu Manufacturing! Those hands are fast as lightning!

But seriously, I didn't see any problems with J.B.'s Sydney Low Light Vivid footage.

• Someone has suggested that in the past these issue could be caused by the glass glued over the sensor. I don't know just repeating speculation.

• @vitaliy_kiselev "As far as I understand it is industrial sensor used on factories and may be in high end security cameras. They just can live up with all this issues."

If the BMCC and BMPCC share the same sensor tech, then why does one respond one way and the other doesn't?

• @peaceonearth vicharris meant for the regular BMCC MFT mount.

• That was a joke right?

• @vicharris

And get some manual glass :)

it wont keep white orbs out of your footage. see my samples above, boat scene is shot with Nokton 25mm.

• Dan Chung on DSLR Shooter about Pocket Camera´s black spot and the infamous O : "I have asked Blackmagic Design about both of these issues and they are aware of my concerns. They say they are investigating the ‘white orbs’ and I await their response." http://www.newsshooter.com/2013/08/30/blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-night-time-testing-at-1600asa/

• I never dreamed I'd be so happy to have no balls.

• K thanks guys :)

• And get some manual glass :)

• demand a full value trade-in option for the BMCC

• @Vitality_Kiselev So if you were me...you already preordered and paid in full at B&H for a BMPCC ... currently only have a GH2 and Active M43rds glass...but wanted to step up your cinematography -- What would you do? Not to get off topic but I had high hopes for this.

• So what is the application that super 16mm sensor is intended for if not video? I am sorry VK I just dont understand?

As far as I understand it is industrial sensor used on factories and may be in high end security cameras. They just can live up with all this issues.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev So what is the application that super 16mm sensor is intended for if not video? I am sorry VK I just dont understand?

• Has anyone here even considered that the eventual...and( its on the damn box so they cant really back down) implementation of RAW will fix the dreaded light BALLS

I have doubts here, as it seems more like sensor thing.

Their problems is usage of sensors not intended for application they use them for.

• When did this become the BMPCC is COMPLETELY useless thread? Has anyone here even considered that the eventual...and( its on the damn box so they cant really back down) implementation of RAW will fix the dreaded light BALLS/Cadence???? I hope so...then I can be one of the few people that didnt cancel their pre-order with a 13stop DR RAW video platform-

I mean come one -This is the first batch OF COURSE there are issue in real world BMD isnt the biggest company on earth- even companies like APPLE screw up on batch one- I NEVER buy Gen one Apple stuff because there is always some issue akin to this.

I for one am not losing hope yet... balls or no balls.

• Lord prey,

What are these strange Protrusions

Devouring my pretty images?

So many Circles

Bright bursts of Confusion

Why must it always be like this?

t'was foul Black Magic

That cast it in my frame

They are to blame

For shame!