Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH1 vs GH2 vs GH3 vs GH4. Better looking sensor.
  • We have been discusing features, specs, footage and all that stuff since GH1 when out on 2009 on DVXuser forum. Time has passed really fast, and here we are with 3 cameras from the same lineup allready. Panasonic has made some grate inovation and pushed the frontier more than their competition on very much all the aspects of its camera.

Now that almost 4 years has pased, and we can happily review all GH series camera and drive some conclusion about their appeal.

*GH1 sensor has the best cinematic image from the 3 models. dynamic range, better color no stange color cast.

*GH2 sensor has the better resolution, and more detail, less dynamic range and green cast on footage.

*GH3 has even better resolution even more detail more dynamic range and a magenta cast.

For all of you forum GH partners, which is the best sensor from the 3 when talking about CINEMATIC image.

Remeber cinematic is almost WHAT YOU SHOW AND WAHT YOU DONT. If not take a look at hobbit mess at HFR 4k. So more detail and image quality is not always better.

THe best GH1 footage ive ever seen Grate DOF control and amazing cinematography (thank you @arnarfjodur )

One of the best GH2 result out there. Tipical Low Dynamic range, high contrast on flat image. Grate final picture (thank you @cekrem )

If you have grate footage from GH2 and GH3 please feel free to share for better comparison.

Long live GH series, and VK for hacking them.

• 87 Replies sorted by
  • Its like picking a Polaroid. It’s has its mojo, and just had 8.5 of DR but those limitation build a good foundation for achieving a good look. Good to see you pick up a good tool. I’m amazed by the price.

• Reading this old this thread convinced me to pick up a GH1 in 2021 for a whopping $110. I've been pleasantly surprised to see that once hacked, it is still capable of shooting some pretty good looking video. In fact, I think I prefer the look to a lot of the modern mirrorless cameras (and definitely over the GH3/4/5 -- just my personal preference). We've gained a lot of convenience and flexibility with the newer bodies, but I think we may have also lost something in terms of a softer image that draws the eye and pulls you in:

• Was randomly browsing when I came across this and thought I'd share it with other poor folk who are pining after a Panasonic GH4 yet can't afford it (which is me for the next few months!).

As don't forget, there is also the GH3/GH2/GH1! And the GH1 goes for under USS$200 second hand, it is the camera I started out, and clearly nothing else in its price range comes even close to touching it!

So have a read of this article and discover why Chase Jarvis is keeping his Panasonic GH1 rather than getting a GH3: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2013/01/panasonic-gh3-hands-on-camera-review/ Also, this: http://www.anycamerawilldo.com/old-but-not-out/

• My impression is that the GH1-4 all use the same basic 4/3 Sensor.

:-) It is not true, of course and you know it.

But sensor progress slowed recently for all cameras, with biggest improvements now being in noise reduction, ADC improvements, etc.

It is good to understand that making faster sensor and in same time improving low light performance is extremely difficult. So, while to end user it can look like small steps for engineers it is huge amount of work.

• My impression is that the GH1-4 all use the same basic 4/3 Sensor. Each newer one has been tweeked a little bit more, so they are not actually the same. The big difference is the Processor and firmware used to develope the image. Thus for my use the GH4 is undoubtably the best.

• Maybe im in the minority but I have never been really impressed with the GH2 image. Hacked or otherwise.

I always preferred the GH1's rendition of colour & skintones out of the cam.
    I recently bought a GH3 and (to me at least) I feel the image is a step back in the right direction by Panasonic in terms of image rendering. So much so I decided to go back to Panasonic.

Then I bought a GH1 (for nostalgia) and it all came back why I loved the GH1 so much. And my goodness the stills ability is very good indeed! That camera is a ludicrous bargain.

GH2 still leaves me unimpressed..something just feels a bit off...yet I cant explain why. haha

I look forward to the GH4 dropping in price...so then I will buy one.

I should also say...Panasonic have messed up their EVFs lately (Ive gone through G6,GX7,GH3) they are so dark and have murky colours and oddly soft where the GH1's is crisp and you can clearly see what is in focus thanks to the lower resolution.

• I like the GH4 way more than the earlier cameras. I find it possible to achieve a variety of 'looks' out of the camera using the internal settings. I also like the way the footage responds to colour grading in DaVinci Resolve. I have been able to get a very nice 'looks a bit like film' result with not too much work.

• paulo. moon t7 has the better texture. I also think GH1 is more filmic.

im updating this thread adding GH4 sensor to the mix.

From what ive seen GH4 better light roll off and dynamic range has improved its power to resolve color. But then is has made it more standard looking, loosing its overall character. Im not saying is no good, its exelent IQ to the actual image standards, but the better it gets for the general public the more we loose the original character of incomplete, or non perfect image from gh1 or gh2. im not being romantic, just is what my eyes see.

• I said (in other topics) that GH1 is more filmic than GH2. And in those ocasions people tell me that GH2 was better... but my eyes tell me exactly what I see: GH1 is more filmic. And my eyes are habitueted with film movies. Until 1972 I see film movies, until 1977 I work with film movies. And I worked only in two video movies, so I reconize the difference. And I reconize when a digital camera is closer to get a film image. And I saw it in gh1. But nowadays the diference between digital and film is almost ending, because there is a lot of movies, shortcuts, documentaries, etc made with digital cameras an many 'big' movies (Cabret, Life of Pi, etc) made with digital too. So our eyes are 'underestending' video as film. Otherwise today even movies made with film are more sharp than last years. But the diference already exists. I'm not speaking about good story, good ilumination, good takes, photography or good direction. I'm speaking about image's texture, color and envolvence. (sory my bad english). I guess a good promisse camera to guet a film-like image is the digital bolex and as possible I'll testing. Now I would like to let a simple question for you guys: Using a GH2 what patche is more filmic?

• my latest video using GH1 with self modded rom.

• I've gotten to spend a lot more time with the gh3 and gh1 and that's shifted my opinion a bit. for 1 I've finally gotten them to match with in camera settings. I've attached a still from some shooting i did today. This is the gh1 and gh3 side by side. Both iso 200, same shutter, different aperture (gh1 sensor seems more sensitive so I needed to stop down the aperture more)

Here's the settings:

gh1
    standard -2,-2,0,0

gh3
    natural -5,-5,-2,-2

Lowlight, it's a different story. Gh3 makes a usuable image where gh1 has visible streaking that makes it unusable (that's easier to see in motion). Also, you can see the dynamic range suffers more on the gh1.

So now I think in daylight there's hardly any difference worth mentioning between the two cams (gh3 looks a bit softer, gh1 has a bit more artifacting.) And in lowlight, the gh3 is much better. Now I'll almost never shoot at anything but iso 200, unless I'm shooting a live event where I don't have control over light, so I don't mind the lowlight weakness of the gh1. Anyway, I'm bored waiting for my bmpcc so hope this info helps anyone trying to use the gh1 as a b cam to the gh3.

00013.MTS.Still003.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 875K
    00002.MTS.Still003.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 633K
  • g6 doesnt work here with the hack. more over gh3 hacks are not ready yet. in this case we can only take gh2 into consideration. gh2 is far ahead from gh3 after moon t7 release.

• i will find very interesting to see how can a hack push more 1080p limits for resolution and sharpness without loosing real detail. Also with this improved sensor ( i think from the lithographic POV ) its better made so we can have real improved response. Having a better processor may also improve with a good SDHC controller the way we can manage loads of data.

• @woodybrando Now we have G6, a very well made solution for replacing GH2. They have manage to remake the GH2 sensor and improve it within the same design. Also better image processor, and overall image quality for lower bitrates, focus peaking and of course 1080 60p.

Im quiet sure this will be hacked before GH3, since is cheaper, has same special NMOS sensor and better processor, its perfect camera to be hacked, deserves it more then a GH3 from my point of view.

GH3 is crippled by marketing reasons, G6 replaced GH2 for what GH3 should have been. GH5 will be the real killer. If this G6 manages to get hacked im positive that it will manage to make new 5.1 profiles on AVCHD to new dimensions, and with the new MP4 encoder maybe just maybe we could dream for a 4:2:2 color...maybe im taliing crap.

• @endotoxic yeah I know what you mean about each gh sensor being unique compared to the aps-c sensor canon that has gone pretty much unchanged since 2009.

I was surprised how much I liked the gh1. I got it to have a b cam till my pocket cinema camera gets here. But was surprised how much more I liked the image from the gh1 than the gh3.

Seems like what u said, gh1 had an engineer made sensor while gh3 has a marketers made sensor.

I used to have the gh2 and I don't miss it. I always thought how it dealt with underlit parts of the image was ugly at any iso. And I started to notice the sensor streaks that are obvious @ iso 3200 @ lower iso's. In fully lit shots the gh2 sensor is great. But overall it felt like a broken camera, with the iso bug, the gradients in the sky, the sensor streaks, ugly green shadow noise. It would have been an awesome camera though if it ever had a technicolor profile. Which basically doesn't use the 8% or so darkest part of the sensor, which was where I saw all the problems with the gh2.

and yeah i'm in no hurry to go to higher resolutions. I'm an editor too and compositor high res means longer render times and till my vids are going in theaters it's not worth it. actually having said that, maybe like 2.5k I could get behind. I do like to be able to shoot with extra headroom around my subject and just crop in a bit in post.

• @woodybrando you cant match GH series cos each one has diferent sensor literally. Its not like canon ultra used APS-C sensor 18mpx for all. Each time was experiment, i think GH5 will be very special hardware with new Panasonic sensor, and extra power. 4k

• Aha!!! bingo. Its not me then, GH1 sensor was special and is special. For me its the best on for wide shots and portrait. It renders very good in those situations. NMOS sensors. I still belive GH3 was a product for the market GH2 was engineered in special way like GH1. GH3 with sony sensor its not special

• Getting a bit more on topic, I've been shooting with a gh1 as a b cam to the gh3. Gh1 gives a flatter image, gh3 is way more contrasty. So far the closest I can get the two to match is using:

GH3 Natural -5,-5,0,-3

GH1 Standard -2,-2,0,0

it's not an exact match but close enough that a bit of grading gets it the rest of the way.

Anyone else have any tips on getting the gh3 and gh1 to match?

I find I like the sensor response of the gh1 better than the gh3. Seems like panasonic tried to copy canon and make every color profile super contrasty and saturated. (I had the 5d mark iii and thank god for the technicolor profile, every canon provided profile on the camera is CRAZY contrasty, even more so than on my old Canon 60d.)

If the gh1 sensor were in the gh3 I'd use it as my A cam over the gh3 with its own sensor. (although the gh1 has noticeably more jello, but it also has noticeably less moire than the gh3.)

I attached a frame from a recent shoot, both shot side by side at the same time, gh1 with the 35-100 f2.8 and gh3 with the 12-35 f2.8. Shutter speeds were different I think the gh1 was faster because I think it is more sensitive than the gh3. You can see what I mean by how contrasty and "canon vibrant" they try to make the gh3 and that's using the Natural setting with contrast @ -5.

p.s. the gh3 isn't as soft as it looks, it's just that the focus is on the foreground.

5th-scene-monkey.Still003.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 773K
  • Way off topic, but cameras should in the future also record the infrared spectrum, and also a depth buffer. This you would not project of course (except for special purposes), but use to simplify adding special effects in post (use it for motion tracking, focus manipulation, layer-extraction, ...). Maybe in the GH5, this december was it?

• If you posted clips of film and digital, unlabeled, ppl could not tell them apart.

In music you could take a tape recording and digitize it, and compare it to a digital recording, and ppl could not tell them apart.

@cbrandin it is like those TV commercials telling you to buy a new TV, and show you what it would look like while you view it on your old TV.

Strangely enough, if you have a Stadivarius violin and a good copy, and play behind a screen, ppl will usually pick the fake as having the better sound.

• The next step of futuristic technology would be cameras that shoot vector. But this is still quite a ways down the road and I have no idea how they would make it possible. But it is one crazy idea for sure.

Avatar 5: shot on IMAX Vector lol

• @GravitateMediaGroup - agreed. I was being fairly conservative. Also, theaters adopt new projection methods much slower than other industries due to the economics and at some point that will be a progress bottleneck. Plus, we can't assume that all will continue as it has. This kind of progress sometimes happens in fits and starts.

@BurnetRhoades - I'm in the rare position of disagreeing with you here. Sure, 65mm looks amazing, but does anybody but IMAX actually shoot on the stuff? It's an outlier.

Here's my big question in all of this: at what point does the quality increase hit diminishing returns. I personally think 4K for the home is overkill. I think color depth and compression (8:8:8:8 anyone?) is an eventual frontier, but how far does this technology really have to go and still make substantive improvements? To bring this back to the topic (!) I think the GH2 feels close enough in quality to the GH3 that I'm delaying an upgrade. Sure, I will like the additional DR eventually, and the operational features seem great, but nothing is driving me to run out and get a GH3 now that they're finally available. It's not a dig on the GH3's quality but a statement about how great a hacked GH2 can look for most purposes. It's plenty good enough. Upgrading becomes a 'want' rather than a 'need'.

Similarly, there will be a point in the upper end of camera-dom when 4K, 10-bit, 16-stop DR tops out anyone's requirements and people snap awake and realize it's just a @#%ing camera, after all.

• Oh @cbrandin mentioned 4k camera. I meant more people will be able to play 4k content flawlessly, and the industry seems moving fast and faster. When there is enough demand, of course we will see higher spec camera.

• @stonebat

How 4K relate to topic title?

You don't need Playstation to play 4K videos, you can do it on modern PC, latest cards have hardware acceparation of 4K playback, even cheapest A31 tablets can play it.

• 4K TV battle is heating up. PlayStation4 supports 4K video playing. It seems right time for 4K consumer level camcorder or camera. Yeap the world needs GH5 with 4 support. Bring it on!!! Then computer upgrade for 4K NLE processing. Only camera memory cards are the bottleneck for much higher bitrate recording. Sure Atomos or whatever external recorders are available, but I prefer small memory cards for convenience. Prolly in this decade. But I might stuck in GH2 for quite some time.