Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • Updated the video I posted last page with audio sync and edit improvements. Shot on GH3 with Samyang 14, 35 and 85 plus RJ speed booster and some 20mm pana footage also.

• The big issue for me in gh3 is moire, we see that gh4 has 1:1 pixels crop and scaling down to 1080p has no moire at all, is it so hard to do this in gh3 and generally in other brands? If its the solution to moire... I don't need 4k, I need the "best" 1080 that gh4 brings from 4k but I also need the all intra with it, that gh4 doesn't have in 4k, all intra because denoisers take better noise patterns than from IPB, and even gh3 has a lot of information deep in the darks that I concluded it's not useless if you shoot allintra and use denoiser.

• gh3, 20mm 1.7, iso640, 25ss. The luminance in the bar was exactly like the corrected image

01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 602K
    02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 890K
  • @starios ...

So, which in-cam settings did you use from frame-rate/size/etc through image settings for Natural, Portrait, whatever ... very clean image.

Neil

• thank you @rNeil, it is mov, all intra, natural, all -5 except color -3. I used neat video with a noise pattern from completely different older video but from now on I keep the same WB for night conditions and use noise pattern presets I made for better cleaning.

• Thank you ... I'm among many that have avoided All-I from the little bit of higher noise ... but this is interesting. Using NeatVideo denoising it, you can lift the shadows and carry better detail ... what did you do your image correcting in?

Neil

• I am sure now and an expert friend told me that all intra is closest to sensor's raw. Before any filter I use neat, then I play with three way cc in adjustment layers making masks in luma for highlights and shadows and use them with soft light opacity, finally a third adj.Layer with my cc that is fast cc, three way to disaturate some mids, rgb curve for emulation some things I like in film convert but I don't wanna use it and an S curve in luma curve for contrast

• I've post it last summer but here it is again, I was trying then to use neat three times, one for R, for G and B but took too much time... and it's not necessary if you use the right noise pattern. You could say gh3 has 12 stop DR :) Sorry for so wrong WB, it was last year

• @starios ... actually I do remember seeing this. So you run NeatVideo within PrPro, then grade there also? Would be fascinating to know more of your settings ...

Neil

• I'll send some screenshots tomorow night maybe, thank you Neil

• @starios ... I love to learn how others work, especially those who do something intriguing and do it successfully. I might darn well need to buy a denoising program ... but then, I've had to buy a lot of other stuff too ... ;-)

Neil

• @rNeil I think the easiest way to show you my way of thinking is to send you a project and play with your footage. I shoot natural, all -5 except color -3. If the video you put on is perfect in wb and exposure you will get my decent cc result (better start this way, with a good shot), if not, correct the wb from fast color cor. from cc adj.layer and for exposure if not correct put a levels right on the original video to make it brighter. Some effects don't do much in some videos, like the 1st three way in cc adj.layer but you can see big change in videos with real problem in the midtones especially in orange midtones that gh3 usually has problem. High and low channels work like shadows highlight but cuda accelerated and with better result. Play with the opacity for them. For denoising neat video in original video and good noise pattern.

http://we.tl/45wM51C575

can't send project file, not allowed here, so... wetransfer

• @starios I have a hard time believing what Im seeing in your bar before/after pics. I know the GH3 retains tons of shadow detail, but this is just insane. How did none of that clip out, and not get so thin that it actually remained usable? Ive pulled shadows up this far before, but the result was just soft and very thin looking because the bit depth at that point was almost nonexistent!

• I changed the way I lift shadows when last year I saw this tutorial. This is the best way I found of lifting up shadows without destroying the image. Soft light opacity with inverted video layer is the key. For hard lift as the example of the screenshots I still use the way this guy shows in the tutorial. For simple cc I use soft light like in project I sent to rNeil.

• That is why I posted before every example that, gh3's issue is only moire (for me) the usable darks if you lift them without destroy them is like what I see in gh4 with the v-log. The difference, gh4 has not allintra except if you choose to have the same moire as gh3 :) Isn't that strange??

• @starios Will try to find time this weekend to download the stuff & watch this tutorial.

Neil

• Very interesting @starios, Ill have to try that. Thanks!

• Uploaded in 1440p for best detail. Shot with extension tubes and a very soft Suntar 135mm F2.8 with RJ lens turbo at about F11.

• Gh3 + sigma 18-35, minolta 28,35,50 & 70-200. I'm still happy with it :) oh, and 600d as b-camera

• This is a short we shot in Austin, TX with the Panasonic GH3. I think we did okay. All things considered :)

• @KayJayButton2 i like a lot of imagery..especially when she leaves the house and when it is in the car...I would have avoided the transition at 3:18 ;-) Lens?

• I share with you a teaser for a theatre play. Gh3+sigma 18-35 + flycam.portuguese language, but dont mind it, just sharing the concept, not the content ;)