Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Comer copy LED
  • Chinese light, looks like exact Comer copy

Features:

Professional grade 10-LED light
    Long life LED lightbulb abotu 30,000 hours usage
    Cold shoe compatible with most camera&camcorders
    Great for HD wide-angle shooting
    Uniform lighting over the entire projected area
    Spotlight projection with built-in condensing lens applied
    Light diffuser attached to soften shadows and reduce contras
    Compatible with Sony camcorder batteries, such as the NP-F770/F970/F750
    Energy saving and environmental friendly design with maximum powre consumption at approximately 20W.
    Long operating time: approximately 2 hours with NP-F770 at maximum brightness
    Wide range of irradiation with homogeneous light distribution (Astigmatism 90 degree, Condenser 45 degree)
    High luminous efficiency maximum at 900 lux in 1 meter distance
    Lighting distance:
    900lux at 1m
    100lux at 3m
    36lux at 5m
    14lux at 8m
    Adjustable dimmer to control different intensity of brightness
    Switchable color temperature at 5500K or 3200K using the built-in filter
    High beam/spotlight setup using the built-in condense lens

AliExpress seller, price only $123 shipped, remember AliExpress has buyer protection, so PayPal is always safe :
    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/476669830-Wholesale-LED-BL-900Video-Fill-Light-Flashlight-For-Camera-Video-Camcorder-DV-Lamp-1pcs-lot-F770-wholesalers.html

Other AliExpress seller ($157):
    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/469390851-Wholesale-BL-900-LED-Video-light-LED-Video-Light-for-DV-Camcorder-Lighting-Continuous-Lighting-wholesalers.html

Ebay seller, price - $220:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BL-900-LED-Video-Light-Canon-EOS-550D-T2i-7D-5D-II-/170596300020?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b854f4f4

And yes, bag comes free with light :-)
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • so regretful to hear that. I'm considering the comer lights, thanks for your reviews. I will change to other items.

• I could try some gels. My kids would love to apply gels on lights.
  • 312 LED is best.
    Any bi-colour LED is always better.
    Nature of LED :-)
  • No... I'm not buying any more lighting gear!!!

I have a spare Sony battery from Z96. It worked on the comer like BL900.

Lightroom adjusted photo from 7400K to 7500K and from greenish tint to more purple. With the orange diffuser on it, WB was corrected at 5650K. But... the tint was too green again. I would need some minus green gel to correct the tint.

I also tested CL-LED256. It's supposedly 5600K, but it's actually 5450K. Also greenish tint. Less green than BL900 though.

Z96 gave slightly bluish temp and purple tint at 7400K. With the orange diffuser on it, WB was great at 3600K.

The fluos large softlight kit gave WB temp at 6300K and purple tint.

My gawd...
  • Sony battery and charges are cheap on ebay.
    Btw, you can get them free using our 312 LED deal :-)
    It is of very good quality.
  • It's butt ugly... but it could work. The most annoying part is the slightly opened condenser lens which impacts the lighting quality a lot. Maybe... magnetic tape or something to hold it tight. Also I would need to buy a new Sony battery and a charger...
  • It is not totally broken.
    Absolutely usable as hair light or backlight, for examaple.
  • Let me share my experience.

This seller from Aliexpress.... he sends a bunch of packages to DHL packaging company where they inspect each product. They repackage the items and bundle with whole lot more items and send to USA. That's why the packages we get from China looked like so beaten up... but tightly sealed.

He complained to DHL, but they denied. The seller was pretty cool about this whole case. The light kit is broken and he doesn't want it back. Or he doesn't wanna pay for the shipping cost. He said he would talk to Aliexpress to give me a full refund. Here's how it works. Aliexpress gets money from my paypal account. They wait for my OK sign. Then they give money to the seller. I never said OK. I guess I need the seller's agreement to get the refund. Aliexpress policy is similar to ebay's. First talk to a seller. I had easy time talking to the seller side as he hired an assistant who can speak and write in English well.

Don't be afraid of ordering from Aliexpress.com.

Anyways... what am I going to do with the broken light...
  • @stonebat

I got it.
    But you are not alone here :-)
  • Thanks... but I'm getting allergic reaction to the Comer shaped light...
  • More powerful version appeared on dealextreme ($184, better price compared to aliexpress):

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/10-led-white-video-light-for-camera-camcorder-91714
  • @stonebat

I had similar thing damaged due to temperature (airplanes gargo area can be very cold), but long time ago.
  • Nice theory
  • >Personally... I think the seller's claim is BS

Nope.
    I just think that it had been inserted quite tight under specific temperature and during flight it ahd either pressure changes or temperature changes that caused such damage.
    Look at your photos, they are hardly from mechanical damage.
  • I just called DHL to claim for the damage, but they told me that the one who paid the shipping cost must claim so that they can give refund directly to the person if it was DHL's fault indeed. There is not much I can help the seller. He must claim by himself. I did give him a bunch of photos on the damaged item and the original package boxes. But there is no damage on the package box. By the way... the original box has not much protection. It was wrapped in another box with no protection. Basically double boxes... tight filled with gears. No bubble wrap. No paper wrap.

Personally... I think the seller's claim is BS. If the outside force has damaged the product, it would have cracked the outer panels, too. Only the protective panel was damaged. I think there is higher chance that the product was already damaged before it was shipped.
  • @stonebat

What I do not understand is why he is the one who must deal with DHL.
    As soon as you got the package and unpacked it it is your property and you must file all complains.
    Also it is very good idea not to sign anything if you see damaged box and open it with courier present (or in post office). Such approach allows to save big amount of time.
  • Normally... I don't wait this long... but I let the seller resolve a damaged package issue with DHL until the end of this month. That's 26 Calendar days. I'm not a harsh guy. I'm Mr.Nice Guy.

But on September 1st... I'd get pissed off if he doesn't get back to me!!!!!!!!!!!! Vengeance is mine!!!
  • @stonebat
    Enclosed charges are always very cheap. Find good one on ebay.
    Btw double charger that come with 312 led light seems much better than all this cheap stuff.
  • It came with Sony NP compatible battery charger not in good quality.
  • @stonebat

Only good expirience.
    Most sellers are very good people who stand behind their product.
    You are just very unlucky.

Btw, how it can be that you don't have Sony NP battery charger?
    It is very popular thing fr lighting and many other stuff.
    I recommend to get good charger at ebay separately anyway.
    Just to have it in future.
  • What was your worst experience from aliexpress or alibaba?
  • @stonebat

>Then I heard electric zapping sound from the battery charger. A few sec later black smoke came out of the charger. WTF. The battery is dead. Glad it didn't burn down my home while I'm asleep.

Most probably they included wrong voltage version, bu it can be also just faulty item. Check it out. :-)
    I had some expirience with this.

>The seller called me in the middle of the night.

What a service!
  • Not having a good night sleep. Not that I lose sleep on $120 item. The seller called me in the middle of the night.

He was adamant about his good quality product and kept saying he paid $31 shipping cost. No he didn't get any payment from aliexpress where aliexpress already got money from my paypal. I had to send him photos of the DHL package box. I will claim a damaged package to DHL for him. Give it a week. If no news, going straight to aliexpress or Paypal. The seller said ok with that.

Then I heard electric zapping sound from the battery charger. A few sec later black smoke came out of the charger. WTF. The battery is dead. Glad it didn't burn down my home while I'm asleep.

So there you go. No review on the light quality. One thing I noticed. All panels could work like a barn door, but a barn door isn't so effective for LED light. It generated rows of discrete light. That's characteristic of LED light, not the fault of the gear.

I just can't recommend this. Period.
  • Problems are the same with the original.
    Its a bummer the glass leaves a gap if tilted forward.....
    Maybe the connector cord will connect to an adapter? There are a lot adapters with removable tips.

Think I will go for the Z96, I like it with aa batteries and it looks a lot lighter, also a lot cheaper.

Still like to see how it performs with lights on :-)

• Tomorrow!!!