Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Stalin samples topic
  • This thread is for samples from the latest GH2vk hack. They can be 1080p, 1080i, or 720p with any bit rate. You can post still frames or whole videos. Just try to post a stream parser screen shot of the first few GOPs as well so we can really see what is going on.

Here is a 1920x1080 still frame taken while recording in 720p mode with the 32 mb/sec patch. There is also a still frame extracted from VLC while playing the video. I am quite satisfied with these results.
    720p Flowers.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 409K
  • 293 Replies sorted by
  • Peaceful week-end trip in Britain. @balazer 's cake patch (good, reliable... good).

Vimeo compression doesn't give justice to the patch : the overlay grain look like... mud. Downloadable original file is better.

• @Oedipax, yes it looks even much better. The 30mb clip was "muddy". With the 300mb clip, well I see what you see on your computer after editing. Looks great! That's it, im picking up that kowa lol. It was pretty cheap any ways. Thanks.

• @Hilltop1, sure, here it is:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_GaTvWvQ0BfSG1wenp1TVhlZGM

Be curious to hear if it makes a big difference on the screen, I imagine it would.

• @Oedipax, wow the original file is 300mb, I wonder how good that will look. Should look great! Do you mind shearing that file? Dropbox or google drive (I'm considering picking up a kowa Bell & Howell anamorphic from a local camera shop)

• Thanks guys!

@Hilltop1, nice to hear it held up, especially because the file on Vimeo is super compressed (the original was ~300mb but since I don't have a Plus account it's gone away). I've got the Tokina +0.4 diopter from Redstan but I didn't use it for anything in this video. Very nice for close-ups, though. About the 2x squeeze, I really kind of like it, but I agree it would be great to at least have the option for something less dramatic. I hope we'll get a full-height 4x3 mode on one of these cameras soon.

@bubba, LOL! Yeah, I did feel a little weird about that. But, I try to have at least some human activity to film when I'm making tests and more often than not it ends up being yard work around the house.

• @Oedipax

Great job! I couldn't get my wife to rake leaves while I played with a camera!! Great video too!!!

• @Oedipax I download your anamorphic Sedna A shot and watched it on my samsung 55 LED, wow very cinematic. One of the best I seen yet. The only downside is the 2X squeeze. Did you used and diopter?

• @stefanos Holy smokes that looks soo sharp makes me wanna try out the Sedna hack as well

• @strancali cheers:) 2 more shoot days left, and it must be edited by next Wednesday, so hopefully it'll turn out nice enough to share...

• @stefanos looking great! Can't wait to see your film :)

• 2nd day wrapped, footage continues to look stunning, quite happy with the way I lit the scenes. I'll be adding frame grabs in the post above as they come...

• just wrapped 1st day of shoot for a little student short film I'm doing, no budget, I lit this in 2-3 hours. 2 more days left. I think the results look fucking stunning! I'm sorry but anyone who thinks the GH2 image quality is sub-standard is either blind or does not have a clue about cinematography and lighting.

few tech facts:

-lights used: 4x1000W Arri Fresnels, 3x650W Arri, 2x300W Arri (location was bloody nightmare, windows high up with spill daylight that changes temperature throughout day and shitty fluorescents indoor that I could not control properly)

-gels: bit of diffusion over the barndoors of a 1k that was used to key the closups, and then I shone another 1 k through a white bed sheet for some fill.

-shot using sedna AQ1 patch

-lenses: panasonic 20mm 1.7, samyang 35mm 1.4, nikkor AI-S 50mm 1.2

-tripod:Vinten Pro 5

-film mode: smooth -2,-2,-2,-2

-200 iso

-aperture: i think everything was between f2 and f4 on all shots and lenses, probably between f2.8-3.5

a few grabs , slightly graded in color finesse. will post film end of next week.

alpha-male snapshots_3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    alpha-male snapshots_2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    alpha-male snapshots_1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    alpha-male snapshots_4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    alpha-male snapshots_14.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    alpha-male snapshots_6.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    alpha-male snapshots_7.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    alpha-male snapshots_8.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    alpha-male snapshots_5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    alpha-male snapshots_11.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    alpha-male snapshots_12.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    alpha-male snapshots_13.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • Quantum X v4d Orion dark matter v3 - Canon FD 55mm f1.2 SSC Aspherical @f2.8 - ISO 320 - 1/50 shutter - Original MTS file uploaded, so no post... - Internal mic

• Sedna A, AQ1 24H
    Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AI, Kowa 16-D
    5DtoRGB Batch, rec709, full range
    FCPX -> Resolve -> FCPX [this was a workflow nightmare, btw]

• M6 Scrabble Box v.1a
    720p with Sedna A matrix.

• Sedna A Q1 footage,no sound,no colour correction,lumix 20mm 1.7,shot on cinema profile.

• Not a big deal. Just starting to play around with making vertical stuff for the ipad. D-QVB9

• If you haven't stumbled upon it in the low gop thread:

• @azza_act very nice and very well done, I hope it goes through. I think it is the second feature that I see on the gh2.

• Scrabble Box v.0.1a
    720p with Sedna A matrix.
    HBR and 24p with Dark Matter 1 matrix.

First part in 300%, next part in 720 (bird), and dog in HBR, and last shot in 24p.

• Nowhere....
    Its a collection off settings from others, see credits.
    I am doing some fine tuning.
    That will say, no high bitrates, minium 9mb/s and 75mb/s max with peaks to 145m/s
    Thats much lower then most people want here

By the way, clip is done with the vibrant profile -2 -1 +2 0
    In sony vegas the levels plug-in srgb to crgb, and colorlab where the saturation is pushed further .
    All is done just over the top.
    The clip on vimeo is rendered to mainmpeg mp4 with 20mb/s (90mb)(Srgb)
    The exposure one is in DNxHD 80mb/s (588mb)(Crgb)

• @mozes Looks nice, where can I find the Scrabble Box settings? Thx

• Special thx to:

Vitaliy_Kiselev, For Ptool
    http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/
    Driftwood, For the Sedna Matrix
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2477/driftwood-quantum-x-settings-series-2-sedna-a-b-c/p1

LPowell cbrandin Ralph_B balazer and bkmcwd
    For all the other settings that i have used.

1080 HBR 25p and 720 50p renderd to 720 25fps

Much higher quality.