Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
HELP - Getting CINESTYLE results from the GH2 ?
  • 57 Replies sorted by
  • @madrenderman "is a wrong thing, it's false, is true only if you do color correction in wrong way, on a 8bit space... if you do color correction in correct way (in 16-32 bit space) you have more room to work and you have a best video that you can grab from these informations."

Actually contrast could become too flat and separate midtone values could get rounded and encoded at the same value, in which case contrast would be lost. 32-bit grading helps only if there are variations in the recorded values but these variations could get lost by too flat contrast for scene lighting and camera settings.

• Soooo... I might be a notch late. I assume after all of this time a log style PP will never come to fruition on the GH2?

• As far as I know, that part of the camera remains inaccessible. I have developed a set of standard inexpensive filters that can be used for white balancing, this atleast allows more saturated and thus cleaner colors for grading. I will post details in the other thread in a few more days.

• you might want to try a tiffen ultracontrast filter, which lights all dark parts in your image/scene. i have one and it is nice for certain situations.

• 2 months and 50+ comments - but not additional comments from the OP since their original post. Seems a little odd.

The dynamic range of the GH2 is not a strength but the resolution is. You can easily make things less sharp by using softer lenses, diffusion filters, fog, etc. but few other DSLRs can record similar levels of detail when called to.

As many people mentioned before, lighting and exposure are very key to getting the most out of the GH2. I usually overexpose slightly if I want to get good shadow detail because raising the shadows can be tricky.

You play to the cameras strengths if you are using it, or you rent/buy a camera better suited to what you are doing at any given point.

• It could be noted that the proper log picture profile on the Nikon cameras does make the image bloom like film at certain occasions. As mentioned, this is just one aspect of a camera and there are many others to consider that favor the GH cameras.

• I think one of the closest a-la Cinestyle profiles in Panasonic camera was the RETRO Profile in Lumix G2 - it holds picture characteristics that are ever closest to the famous Cinestyle, still no any hack or patch gives what this profile gives to shadows, middles, highlights, etc. like Canon DSLRs.

Unfortunately it's yellowish (kind of light sepia) and can't be modified by camera controls. I liked G2 when I owned it an year ago and now I still keep only three pictures taken with this RETRO profile. They were simple tests only from the first day I bought G2 that time, so they are not the best I took.

PLEASE, VITALIY, DRIFTWOOD AND OTHERS, MAKE A DEEP ANALYSIS OF G2 RETRO PROFILE AND TRY TO PUT/COMBINE SOME DETAILS TO YOUR LATEST GH1/2 PATCHES!!!

SUCH A PICTURE PROFILE WOULD BE ONE OF THE MOST DREAMS OF EVERYONE HERE.

P1000143.JPG
    4000 x 2248 - 3M
    P1000145.JPG
    4000 x 2248 - 4M
    P1000170.JPG
    4000 x 2248 - 3M