Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cheap HMI lights from eBay
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • What's the equiv. of this 70 Watt HMI compared to Tungsten? Normally it's twice the power of Tungsten lights, or even more; for example the jokerbug.

70watt should be equivalent to 250 watt's or something?

• 70W of metal halide is around 200-250W of tungsten depending on the quality of the lamp. Sometimes with the cheap bulbs you'll have too much green/blue and need to minus green gel them which causes the output to be less.

• Take a close look on the weight of these lamps. ln my personal view the larger ones are quite unhandy and will need lot sandbags secure them on set.

• With proper tripods you won't need sandbags shooting interiors, exteriors you probably need 1 bag, Junior tripods are highly recommended, other tripods are basically a no no on HMI's

I now own a 2500w HMI strand, it's heavy, but the light is amazing. @Meierhans Now you know why the Gaffer has a Bestboy :p

• Guys,

As amazing as HMI's are, I would never try and buy knock-off or cheap ones. This is a technology you do not want to mess with IMO. Tungesten ARRI knock-offs are one thing but HMI's that are not built, or sealed, or grounded correctly have a great chance of shortening someone's life span. There is a reason why HMI's are expensive...

• Somewhat true;

But 200/575/1200 watts are as much dangerous as the tungsten. One should always check his lights; and have atleast basic knownledge of Electricity(!) e.g. you should be able to rewire, rebuild, etc etc, and know the invisible force.

Especy with these Gas killers.

• Did anyone ever purchase one of these? Wondering if it's worth taking the risk to purchase.