Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro ProTune 35mbps RELEASED + App + now HD3
  • 177 Replies sorted by
  • @ Rambo.. those pics shot by either the photo capture or a frame from video ?

• Don't know Myzter, but the Dynamic range looks good Hey?

• yeah buddy.. looks super good.. blacks are not everywhere, and even the propeller is showing!

• Damn...gonna end up buying one anyway!

• couple questions... what class of micro SD (10 ?)will be needed for HD Hero 3 Black Edition ? what pc requirements are needed for editing such ? cant wait to see some 1080/60 footage..

• Wow. This is it.

• Apparently they flew in reporters from 60 different countries for the event announcement. Nick Woodman (CEO) on stage, Justin Wilkenfeld seated to the left in the shadows. http://t.co/dspCIVfk

A5YAprXCEAAA3Yf.jpg large.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 62K
  • Specs up on screen Camera ships Monday

nick.JPG
    616 x 463 - 39K
  • First pic of HD3

430173_289795161121401_945966456_n.jpg
    960 x 640 - 55K
  • More

430173_289795161121401_945966456_n.jpg
    960 x 640 - 55K
    598742_10151251593211919_319575797_n.jpg
    960 x 960 - 68K
  • This will be a great and fun little camera...can't wait!

• Farewell dollars! Your sacrifice will not be in vain!

• All attendees at the launch event received a new HD3 to take home FREE.

Are you listening Panasonic ..hahaha

19754610151251623396919.png
    960 x 902 - 550K
  • Congrats to GoPro - they really upped the game in the action cam market.

Supports 24p and 25p in most settings too. Hopefully the image has been improved too. This is a killer little camera.

• More:

A5YOl4PCIAExFOL.jpg
    600 x 473 - 43K
  • Cool, just noticed 240fps @ 480p

• 1440p seems amazing! If it's 2560x1440 @ 48fps, that's what I'll be using.

• I'm still on the fence re Hero 3. However I do use Hero 2 quite a bit, both for pool shots, as a vehicle cam (both video and timelapses), and also as a lecturn/podium cam for the indoor events recording. Also as an extra cam for recording concerts - I usually point at at the drummer, or from behind the band towards the audience. Footage is passable indoors and good outdoors (expectedly.)

Also I just upgraded the firmware and ProTune seems to slightly improve the IQ on Hero HD 2. Did not do any extensive tests yet.

Also I have vastly improved audio - the built-in mic is unusable for anything but the crazy sports situations! - using tips from this DIY article: http://goo.gl/o5gSE

• @mo7ies I always liked my GP2, though was never satisfied with the quality compared to something like my D7000 (and don't get me started about my GH2!). The GP3 Black can easily match the D7000's quality in decent lighting, and it's possible it can get close to the GH2 in 2.7K mode after downscaling to 1080p (haven't done a direct comparison yet).

Vs the GP2, the sharpness is better, there's a good amount more dynamic range, white balance is extremely welcome, and compression artifacts in Protune (45mbps vs 35mbps) are pretty much invisible except for pixel peepers. With Protune under poor lighting, the quality is significantly better than the GP2. Throw in Neat Video, and get ready to be amazed! Someone even did a test, and you can get the colors to match a 5D MkII very closely.

Oh yeah, and then there are those insane frame rates! ;) All 100% usable except 480p240, since it can't use Protune, so it gets chunky anywhere but outside in bright light. You can even use 1080p and 720p with Protune at any frame rate in Narrow FOV, using the GoPro App, which reduces almost all distortion with very little IQ penalty compared to the GP2 (1080p Narrow started to get noisy). Even 720p120 Narrow is surprisingly nice!

• @BlueBomberTurbo I did upgrade my GP2 to ProTune.

On GP3, how's the built-in mic? I did another round of tests with the GP2 hack referred in my post above, and it ROCKS on everything you throw at it - yippie! :)

• The mic is significantly better. Nothing I'd use for anything pro, but much better than the hollow sounding one on the GP2.

Here's the best comparison between the two, and the GP3 Silver (same sensor and processor as the GP2):

Remember to download the original file for the most accurate comparison. I was completely drooling over this as I waited for my first GP3 Black to arrive! :D

• I got Nexus 7 and attached OTG cable from ebay. Then connected GoPro to Nexus. The tablet is charging GoPro :)