Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro ProTune 35mbps RELEASED + App + now HD3
  • 177 Replies sorted by
  • @Myzter, glad that did the trick, GoPros more than any camera i know are very fussy with foreign files on the card or not formatted in camera. When it queries the card, it does a dummy spit if it sees anything it don't like. This goes back to the first HeroHD as well.

• I have recorded some footage today with protune :) I am VERY pleased with the results! I have done NOTHING to the footage, it came straight from the camera!

• David Newman has now posted his ProTune thoughts on his personal blog. Interesting read. http://cineform.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/protune.html

• Has anyone tried recording or simply displaying the HDMI output of the GoPro HD Hero2 since the firmware update? I can't play the video out to my Zacuto EVF. Can anyone try that, and let me know under which conditions it works for you?

Incidentally, here's an interesting article I found on grading ProTune footage from the Hero2 while researching this issue.

http://photo.it-enquirer.com/2012/06/live-video-capture-of-a-gopro-hdmi-stream-to-a-ninja/

• Anyone else noticing that the ProTune firmware update produces overly saturated footage, and poor color balance, with ProTune turned OFF ?

• In comparison, the Non ProTune footage looks extra contrasty, off white balance and too saturated ... here are my first comparisons ... did a lot more yesterday which I will post soon: http://public.fotki.com/makofoto/work/gopro2-protune-test/

Note the video clip of the WiFi latency

• The ProTune files are more then twice as large as Non ProTune files ... which is good ... more information ... but the DO need some tuning, ie. no sharpening has been applied, and ALL digit photos need sharpening because of the anti-alasing filter in front of the sensor. What's weird, is that the ProTune look that can be applied in CineForm produces super contrasty/saturated files?! Personally I'm surprised the ProTune files aren't flatter ... since the Technicolor CineStyle look is VERY flat for DSLR's. To me it looks like the ProTune look that can be applied in Cineform was meant for a much flatter original file ?

• Im having problems with Cineform Studio software not exporting already converted MP4's on my x64 Windows 7 machine, (seems to be a problem) so I installed update 1.3.0.162 and the GoPro codec pack.. pretty nice feature update in Cineform.. The ProTune preset with a little less sharpening looks pretty nice.. If only I could export IT !!

• Mako, I suggest you read this it explains what ProTunes is and isn't and maybe clarify a few things. http://cineform.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/protune.html

• @ Myzter, you should have many Presets to select from in Cineform Studio now you have updated.

EE75431E-A366-4863-8310-59083CB18BE9-142-0000002012C78B03.jpg
    301 x 387 - 59K
  • @Rambo Kinda interesting that David didn't address the bugs.

• Peter, Blog was written before the public had a chance to use Protune and the Apps, but yeah GOpro are not known for quickly acknowledging any short comings in their products or firmware. It does appear there are some things the need to address in the next update.

• has anyone been able to export MP4's from CineForm with the update on a windows 7 x64 machine ?

• I've added some more test files: http://public.fotki.com/makofoto/work/gopro2-protune-test/

Still frames with and without ProTune

Sunny Exterior without and with ProTune, plus ProTune with the CineForm ProTune Preset look applied to the ProTune clip.

Evening Exterior to Interior without and with ProTune, plus ProTune with the CineForm ProTune Preset look applied.

NOTE that standard GoPro footage has Sharpening and Noise Reduction added. ProTune files are more then twice as large, have no Sharpening or Noise Reduction added, and are flatter. They REQUIRE post processing, ie. adding Sharpening, Noise Reduction and density/color/contrast correction, which the CineForm ProTune Preset applies for a general correction.

• HERO HD3

Some Resellers are apparently taking orders for HD3 cameras.

Was posted on a Resellers FaceBook Page, I asked and was confirmed the orders were placed. The info does read like a GoPro press release the way it's worded.

Due to arrive in Late October.

All Hero 3 cameras come WiFi enabled. They are 30% reduced in size, 25% less in weight, 2X faster, 2X more powerful and 2X better low light performance.

Silver Edition comes with 2 Quick Release mounts, 1 flat and 1 curved adhesive mount and 1 3-way pivot arm. $299.99

Black Edition comes with all of the above and the WiFi remote plus more. $399.99 (Moto / Surf / Outdoor Models)

The new LCD screen is a touch screen and and it works even with the waterproof backdoor.

SOUNDS INTERESTING and addresses some of the physical and technical drawbacks of the previous HD models and mounts.

• NO 720P50T option after protune install????? I have installed the new firmware, no issues, when I set protune to on, I lose the option to select 720P50T, the only PAL option is 1080P25T, all the NTSC options are available.. Is this a missing thing with the update or am I just an idiot doing something wrong... Please help ASAP as need to shoot some stuff tomorrow... Cheers

• Nope, no 50p, and no explanation from Gopro as to why.

• WTF??? why is it the yanks think the whole world revolves around NTSC (Not The Same Colour) twice format.. looks like 720P60T it is then... Cheers

• Maybe 50p slot had to be sacrificed for 24p, don't know.

• Guys, I don't have one but look after somebody who has some, historically both hero and hero 2 shipped with only NTSC, download updated bios with PAL within a couple of weeks

• Hero 2 shipped with PAL/NTSC option, the PAL 1080 option is still available just not the 720P50 option..

• Yep, full PAL and NTSC options have always been in HD1 and HD2.

• @Rambo I hope Hero HD3 release rumors are true. Yes I want 24p/30p/60p.

• At this point I'm still treating the HD3 info as a rumor, the source deleted the info over nite.

• I just found a Original GoPro , for $150 on craigslist.

Is that a decent deal? works great only been usd few times.

and also can I use this new firmware right?