Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • That's normal. You get similar behavior with the stock settings, and sometimes more than two frames. Relax and enjoy!

• Hi! just update to 5.1 and notice a problem. First two frames of each clip is destructive.Just zoom 200% and look. Or it`s only my problem? Can anyone check that? Thanks!

• Sanity's bitrate is totally dependent on the content of the scene. Some scenes will have high bitrate, some low. But all will be extremely high quality. This is one of Sanity's strengths - it only uses as much bitrate as is needed. It's the ultimate in efficiency. Like you, when I was developing Sanity and saw some of these low bitrates, I scratched my head and asked, "can that be right?" Yes, it is!

• Hi! Thanks for this patch! But is it normal if i have only 15-20 mbps in 24P Cinema mode in H quality? Or something went wrong?

• Sometimes even I forget how stable Sanity 5.1 is. Last week I found myself in a situation where I had to shoot at ISO 12800 and in ETC mode. This combination produces the worst noise you'll ever have on a GH2, and yet Sanity sailed through it without a single write error.

• Very pleased with the latest Sanity parameters. They work very well. Spanning OK in basically all modes and no writing error anymore. Great job. I can recommend trying these settings. Thanks.

• thank you for Sanity :)

• @rmk

The MJPEG settings are completely independent of the AVCHD, so you can safely copy them from another patch and not affect Sanity.

• Does anyone have MJPEG quality settings that can be merged with Sanity without causing problems? I use Sanity for all my normal video and MJPEG for timelapses and so far I have just increased the size to 1920x1080 and set FPS to 2 but haven't done anything about quality. I am not sure how all parameters in the hack influence each other, that's why I am not simply copying MJPEG settings from another MJPEG patch or could I just do that?

• @Ralph_B I basically used the same modification created by Em at Cheesy cam. http://cheesycam.com/diy-steadicam-smoothee-mod-cheesycam-baby-merlin/ The GH2 is right heavy when looking at the lcd so the the bottom weights need to hang slightly left for proper balance. The heavier the lens the better. The 20mm pancake drifts more than the heavier lenses, it can work well, but very sensitive to touch and wind. Old glass like canon and minolta works well. I currently us the SIgma 30mm 1.4 if you haven't seen this lens it is pretty heavy. The heavier the lens the better I would say for the smoothee. I could give you much greater details on the weights and equipment if you end up picking one up, just drop me a line. I am new to steadicams so I think with a lot of practice the smoothee could produce some great motion to my shots. Thank you tons for Sanity 5.1. I always have space left over on my cards and love that I am still able to push my grades further than stock.

• Animated piece using video clips instead of photographs. All shot on sanity 5.1. 50 1.8 and 20mm pancake.

Borderland - Copper & Congress from Fractal Films on Vimeo.

• @aklumix

Thanks for posting. I've been thinking about getting a Steadicam Smoothee for the GH2. Could you please describe how you modified it. And what's the lightest and heaviest lenses that you've been able to balance on it?

• @Axier the first video with the little guy and her sister was mostly standard and nature profile due to the low light all set at -2. The steadicam video was shot on smooth all -2, but saturation was at 0. What gave it the look was the lens. Used a minolta md 28mm 2.8 which gave it a more flat profile out of the camera. Oh, I also shot the steadicam video at 1/40.

• @aklumix could tell me which settings as used. Looks great

• Sanity 5.1 with the baby merlin steadicam

• Some older sanity footage from AK. Some problems with the skies, but otherwise got some okay shots.

• Sanity works fine in HBR mode. However, HBR is somewhat lesser quality than 24P because the GH2 processes it in a 50i stream. Chroma resolution is less and vertical resolution is less. This doesn't mean you shouldn't use it, especially if you need to intercut with the 25P Polecam.

A alternate possibility is to shoot 24P with the GH2, and to playback the Polecam's 25P at 24P in post. If audio sync is important, then you would also have to slow down the audio 0.96% during the Polecam footage.

But as always, test, test, test! See what works best for you.

• Hello Ralf. In June record a video clip using my GH2 with Sanity at 24p. All right, fill a 32 gb memory card without errors. The problem is that record with another fellow who used a "Polecam" and recorded a 25. In HBR camera records at 25. The Hack work as well?

• @rmk

Double check to make sure you're shooting in FSH mode, not SH. Also, interlace mode on the GH2 is it's weakest mode in general. Chroma resolution is reduced. You also lose vertical resolution because of line blending to eliminate flicker.

• Hi, first of all, thanks for this amazing patch! I switched from flowmotion to sanity a few months ago and I have never had a situation where the image wasn't really great (as far as compression is concerned). Until today I had only used HBR and Cinema mode. Now my girlfirend has to film an interview for a TV station and they require 50i footage and we tested a bit and the image was a lot worse than in the other modes and stayed around 12 MBit where it was about 30 under the same conditions (lighting, iso, shutter speed) when using 24p. Is the manual video mode not hacked in Sanity? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

• Ralph_B thanks for the advice, I will give these settings a go. Dont get me wrong, I didnt think any hack had anything to do with colour reproduction, but a few sites and forums have users spouting all sorts of stuff so you kinda start to believe if enough people are saying it it must be true!

• The color adjustments for the white balance presets have nothing to do with the hack. In fact, I discovered them long before the hack existed. You must understand that Sanity only affects the quality of the H264 compression engine. It strives to make it as transparent as possible. What comes out is very close to what goes in. Sometimes people attribute things to the hack which simply aren't there. For example, there is no "best gh2 profile that compliments your hack". It's a nonsense statement. Whatever you use, Sanity will reproduce it faithfully.

If you like bright, rich colors, try Nature, contrast -2, sharpness -2, saturation +2, noise reduction -2. I find this to be an all around great choice. If the saturation is too much for your taste, lower it to 0. But again, this is just a personal choice for a "look" and has nothing to do with Sanity or any other hack.

Anyway, have a good trip!

• @Ralph_B ok think I am getting you now...so just adjust the setting for each inbuilt preset, i.e add 2 dots of magenta to the daylight preset and so on..

can I ask if you think this is required only when using your hack or is the colour information the same in so much as these settings will work well with any hack or even the default 1.1 firmware?

And while I have got your attention...I am off to Paris this weekend for a weeks holiday and plan to make a nice video. I feel like being lazy on this occasion and would like to use the best gh2 profile that compliments your hack and allows me to get in your opinion the most pleasing 'baked in' image without the need for grading..what would you recommend? (including saturation, contrast, sharpness settings, I will be using the Leica 25mm 1.4 for most of the trip)

thanks in advance

lee

• Sorry for the confusion. Create a custom color setting for each of the white balance presets. Daylight +2 magenta. Cloudy +2 magenta. Shadow +2 magenta. Indoor +5 magenta. What I meant is that 95% of the time, one of those presets will do the job. At least, that's been my experience. If I'm in a situation with a lot of mixed light, I may either adjust the color temperature manually by eyeballing it on the LCD screen, or do a manual white balance with a white card. Hope that helps.