Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GH5 II, new prosumer m43 camera
  • 89 Replies sorted by
  • Johnnie: The original GH5 was a legendary camera that offered filmmakers a lot for a very competitive price. Where do you see the strength and positioning of the new GH5 II?

Yamane-san: The strengths of GH5 II are video functions, live streaming function, and reliability. Cinema 4K 60P 4:2:0 10 bit recording is realized, and V-log L is also pre-installed so that it can be used even in professional settings. In addition, it is also equipped with L. Classic Neo and L. Monochrome S, which were first installed in Cinelike D2, V2, and S5, and it possesses high quality even when shooting without post-production. Furthermore, we will meet the growing demand for live streaming by a new wireless live streaming function installed for easily performing live streaming with high image quality. On top of inheriting the DNA of the GH5, it is equipped with a USB charging/power supply function (Power delivery compatible) that supports long-term shooting in addition to unlimited video recording time. It inherits the shooting assist functions of our full-frame camera S1H and is a camera that is closely supporting creators.

https://www.cined.com/panasonic-lumix-discussed-an-interview-with-yosuke-yamane-san-about-the-gh5-ii-gh6-and-more/

• @EspenB

Well, it does not have PDAF and Dual Pixel AF :-)

Obvious issues with AF common to Panasonic.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Quick summary for non-russian speaking people?

• The Panasonic Lumix GH5 II definitely is a major improvement over its predecessor, the LUMIX GH5. It fares quite well in all departments, be it a low rolling shutter, OK dynamic range results, and good latitude capabilities.

Again, Panasonic shows the capabilities of modern MFT cameras paired with solid internal recording resulting in a very robust, organic picture that can be pushed around hard in post without breaking up.

https://www.cined.com/panasonic-lumix-gh5-ii-lab-test-rolling-shutter-dynamic-range-and-latitude-test/

• DR is actually same as Panasonic G9

sa17709.jpg
    698 x 504 - 49K
  • Comparison with GH5

Key new features offered by the GH5M2 include:

• C4K/4K 60p/50p 10-bit recording - the GH5 could only capture 4K/60p in 8-bit
    • No crop factor as the camera uses the whole area of the sensor
    • C4K/4K 60p/50p 10-bit HDMI output and simultaneous internal recording
    • All-I option for 29.97p and 23.98p - only available for 24.00p on the GH5
    • The 12-stop version of the V-Log L profile is pre-installed on the GH5M2, whereas on the GH5 you have to buy it as an optional extra
    • Improved Anamorphic recording
    • New Cinelike D2 / Cinelike V2 profiles, inherited from the S1H video flagship camera from the full-frame S Series
    • New L.Monochrome S and L.Classic Neo colour modes have also been added for both video and stills
    • An image stabilizer ideal for anamorphic lenses can now be used. You can select from 1.30x, 1.33x, 1.5x, 1.8x or 2.0x options depending on the lens magnification.

https://www.photographyblog.com/articles/panasonic_gh5m2_vs_gh5_head_to_head_comparison

• Look the updates that the MK II have, and see if they are useful. The MK II have Vlog installed, the first model you will have to pay - but only if you will really use log.

I liked the new features of the the MK II, but the value difference is only useful if they make a difference to you. The image quality is the same in both cameras (except the 4k60, MK II could be a little better).

(One more point: looks like that the MK II have a new chipset - the same of the FF ones - and theoretically could receive more firmware updates on the future. But it is not certain)

• So, I'm still at the GH4 and use it mostly for stills. After some years of financial stress I can finally afford a upgrade to my camera.

So the GH5 is just NOK 14.000,- at the moment.

The GH5 mark II is listed as NOK 20.000,- but there is a cash back which includes the extra battery and 25 mm lens to sweeten the deal (offer listed as a NOK 3000,- "value").

Still, on the face of it the GH5 is 30 per cent cheaper than the mark II. And will probably be a worthy upgrade to my GH4 in any case.

I'm also interested in the future GH6 (if Panny don't fold their camera business), but might be able to upgrade once again next year.

So what to do.

• I'm yawning so hard I'm sneezing.

• I'm mildly interested in this as an upgrade to my gx8, since they're never going to make a gx10... the gh5 never interested me much, but the slight upgrades/modernization are enough for me to consider this one when I'm ready to upgrade. the gh6 will definitely be overkill for my uses

• Free extra battery and free 25 mm lens.

Terms and Conditions

Reply to the survey and get a lens and battery for free

Email: Panasonic@promotion-support.com

Early Bird Promotion Period: May 25th 2021 – July 31st 2021 Claim Period: July 1st 2021 - August 15th 2021

1. PROMOTER

1.1. LUMIX GH5M2 Early Bird Promotion (hereafter referred to as the "Promotion") is promoted by Panasonic Marketing Europe GmbH, whose registered address is Hagenauer Str. 43, 65203 Wiesbaden, Germany (the "Promoter").

1. ELIGIBILITY

2.1. The Promotion is applicable to residents of the following countries: Germany, Austria, France,Monaco, Belgium, Luxembourg , Italy, Switzerland, Netherland, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Croatia, Estonia, Lithuania, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, UK and Ireland, Bosnia & Hercegovina, Albania, Latvia, Greece, Turkey, (“Participating Countries”). 2.2. The participants must be at least 18 years old (“Participant”). 2.3. To participate in the Promotion, the Participant has to purchase one of the following LUMIX GH5M2 products: DC-GH5M2E, DC-GH5M2LE, DC-GH5M2ME (“Qualifying Products”) from an authorized retailer in a Participating Country in the period from May 25th 2021 to July 31st 2021 (“Early Bird Promotion Period”) and answer a survey which will be provided to them during the claim process and requests the information stated in clause 4.
    2.4. All Qualifying Products must be new and genuine Panasonic products. Purchases of second hand, refurbished or reconditioned products, and products imported from outside the Participating Countries or products which are counterfeit or infringe the intellectual property rights of the Panasonic group of Companies in any way will not qualify for this Promotion.

1. GIFT

3.1. The Gift provided for participating in the Promotion is a H-H025 25mm F1.7 lens and a free battery DMW-BLK22 (“Gift”). 3.2. The Gift offered under this Promotion is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and there is no cash or credit alternative available. 3.3. The Promotion is offered only while stocks of the Gift last. 3.4. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the Promoter reserves the right to provide an alternative Gift of the same or greater value without giving notice.

gh5m2_banner.jpg
    1180 x 325 - 86K
  • In Japan cashback starts right from the sales start

Panasonic will carry out the "LUMIX GH5II Cashback Campaign" for the mirrorless camera "LUMIX GH5II" from June 25th (Friday) to August 29th (Sunday).

A campaign where you can receive cash back if you purchase and apply for "LUMIX GH5II" during the target purchase period. The cashback amount is 15,000 yen for the body alone and 20,000 yen for the lens kit.

• Just one question ... "What's the bloody point?"

Just buy a current GH5 and be done with it!