Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon 5D Mark III topic
  • 240 Replies sorted by
  • I'm looking forward to replacing our 5dii with this new body. Love the full frame look with a 24mm wide open, and in fact I had few problems with Canon's final 5dii video implementation. If the moire is fixed, I'm in.

• Giving you everything in a camera today means they will have nothing to sell you tomorrow. Businessman don't think like art practitioner.

• so what's the deal with the timecode stuff? does timecode really work without the devices actually being connected?

• @djhessler Google Magic Lantern.

• @John_Farragut, I'm bothered by this. The technology is at such a point that there's really no reason that one of the camera companies hasn't put the most wanted features in a small and affordable package. The only thing stopping any of these companies is protectionism.

Micro Processing is so advanced and so cheap now that it's really amazing what can be accomplished. The 5D3 is pretty darn close and the minor tweaks they could easily have made are well within the technical capabilities of the cameras processors.

The thing that was really frustrating is they didn't do it in the C300 either!!! IT's not even as robust as it could be given the price point. Still I like what i've seeing so far from the 5D3.

• They've always held back. But never was there a time that so little money gives you so many creative possibilties. Thing is, people want full frame 1080p without moire and aliasing, 4:2:2 color, 60p with uncompressed hdmi out, perfect picture quality, at such a price that nobody would buy cinema cameras anymore (stretching it a bit). Meaning everybody will have the same cinema camera, so to speak, even the soccer mom. Remember the time before the RED one? Digital cinema cameras below $30000 didn't exist. And now we have a variety of "cinematic" cameras at every budget. We have come a long way from small chip video cameras to large chip DSLR. Yes, companies are holding back picture quality, but at the same time, you would never have been able to get this film quality at this budget a few years back.

• @vegandelight "Im with John_Farragut on this. As a still photographer im really happy how this turned out. I do enjoy video but you got to consider its a still camera with video."

Yea, but this "still camera" has about 20x the processing power as the C300. It's true that we have many great options these days... but they're really holding back. It's just doesn't feel right, when making a camera investment/purchase, that it's only about 1/10th as good as it can be... Just because they're "protecting" their product markets.

When companies literally OWN an entire industry market, and can just slow-roll technology for years on end without fear of competition... then something needs to change.

@proaudio4 "I doubt image quality will surpass the C300 - which IMO is not "all" that great."

While I'm not really that excited for the 5DIII, I actually do think the overall IQ will be better than the C300. I really don't like the way the C300 renders detail... looks like the XF camcorders... because, well, it is just a large sensor XF camcorder. There's nothing "digital cinema" about it.

The whole "advanced sensor" crap with the C300 is just a marketing spin because the 4 year old processing they're using isn't capable of binning/sampling a 4k sensor. So they do it on the sensor readout and call it a "new design".

• Im with John_Farragut on this. As a still photographer im really happy how this turned out. I do enjoy video but you got to consider its a still camera with video.

• Not surprised and not interested. I doubt image quality will surpass the C300 - which IMO is not "all" that great. Which is NOT going to happen knowing Canon.

• ah crap that blows. Ill order another GH2 then.

The MK3 needs a magic lantern hack already.

• If they put everything of the C300 inside the 5D Mark III, then it would be a C300. It is what it is: a cheaper DSLR video solution from Canon. Why expect Canon to put everything into the entry level solution? You already get so much today for such low prices, to me it's mind boggling.

• Agree with Aria - "The only thing I want to know now is what they did with the Color. Is it 4:2:2? 8bit or 10bit?"

Anyone know? I like the C300 Color...4:2:2 right? Is the MK3 similar?

Anyone?

• Accordingly with Studio Daily, it is 8-bit only. The missing feature:

"Still only 8-bit recording, fragile 1/8-inch mic input plug, built-in mic is mono only, HDMI output still hobbled, video recording limited to under 29 minutes 59 seconds"

• Given the fact that Canon made the C300 and there's a possibility of 4K 5D, I didn't expect that this Mk3 was gonna be the ultimate VDSLR. Still I think it provides a great option for video. FF, All I frame, less artifacts, better resolution, Headphone, Audio control, SMPTE, Great Low Light... It looks pretty good.

The only thing I want to know now is what they did with the Color. Is it 4:2:2? 8bit or 10bit?

• With all this short-changing canon's been doing... the 5DIII better have like 14 stops of DR...

Only a few people find moire such a big problem that they're willing to spend $3500 for the 5DIII. The biggest chunk of DSLR customers aren't really going to care. They'll be fine with the regular 5DII or 7D as is. Canon is not really enticing us to upgrade. Seriously no 60fps in 1080p? I feel like punching somebody from canon...

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I know you have worked hard to make the GH2 do wonders in video quality, but have you consider hacking this new camera? (please forgive if the question has been asked) I personally love the fact that your hack is using the update and I don't have to have the hack loaded on a SD card. For some reason people tend to like the canon look (maybe colors) more than the gh2, I'm just saying a hacked Mark III would be a beast. I'm a happy owner of 2 GH2's but man the headphone input is such a pain for me as most of my work is interviews and weddings. VK I can't thank you enough for all your work.

• And the All-Intra encoder seems to be VBR, not CBR.

• Not bad. Considering a few years back I bought a simple video camera with 1/3" chips for that much, I mean, you get much value today if you want to film. If moire and aliassing is gone, you've got your cheap production camera with no worry if picture has artifacts. It's the price of a Canon XF100. But I have earlier mentioned that prices of these VDSLR were going up, because they are not going to give you perfect picture quality for cheap (that's why even at this price point no clean hdmi out). At least it's intra. I believe Panasonic will also step up price, although remain lower than Canon.

• Digital Rev.

• I love Kai's videos -thx VK

• Whos seems like they raised the price but didn't raise the bar. After all this waiting it really has become a disappointment.

Glad I jumped on the Gh2 bandwagon instead of waiting for this overpriced camera.

I have a feeling the GH3 will blow this out of the water. (in video mode).

Still the Gh2 with the hack is so good I think there is no reason to even start looking for a newer camera.

Btw Canon crippled the hdmi out (720P only) and you can't remove all the menus off of it.

• @GOODEMPIRE

I mean that lenses require really fast and quiet autofocus specially designed for contrast focusing approach.
    Same for aperture, as aperture in most Canon lenses is not made for video in any way.
    Plus you need'll need video oriented OIS.

All Nikon F, Pentas K, Canon EF lenses will vanish in their current form as lenses for mainstream market.
    Generally, it is only reason why all this companies are so careful with their mirrorless approach.

• 1700 bucks more and all I got was a lousy headphone jack and 17minutes longer to record..... There's your t-shirt...

GH2 FTW!