Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ETC crop mode physical size on gh cameras
  • Do the cropped physical sizes of the gh sensors change in etc mode? I would kinda of assume that the fhd ETC mode on the 20mp sensor ( gx9, g9, gh5 & gh5s ) would be physically smaller than on the 16mp sensor. And the gh5(s) has a uhd etc mode. And don't the new olympus's have something similar ? There must be some data sheet or white paper somewhere/ thanks/k

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Sensors datasheets are all closed info.

So, for same sensor size is same, of course.

For 16mp crop is smaller.

• @vitaliy...."For 16mp crop is smaller." ...wouldn't that be the opposite ? If the sensor has 16mp vs 20mp, then the 16mp pixels are larger. Therefore the 1920 x1080 crop would have to be larger as well...or is my logic faulty ? ...and that would make the fhd etcmode on 20mp a smaller window than the window on the 16mp sensor, like the gh2, gh4 etcetera. The question is how much smaller in actual physical dimensions ? If it's straight forward, then the window would be 20% smaller on the 20mp sensors. That would be a considerable difference.

• @kurth

If crop is smaller actual physical size of window is larger. Simple.

• ok....just an interpretation misunderstanding. I'm working on the size of gh4 vs gh5 etc mode window. Give me a moment....ok, using the actual and effective sensor specs at b&h, I get the gh4's etc mode window is 6.72mm x 3.78mm...and the gh5 etc mode is 5.97mm x 3.34mm