Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Personal View Feature Film Collaborative project
  • 536 Replies sorted by
  • @B3Guy the process of the script absolutely depends of the story choosen, if you read every stoyline you will notice that every storyline defines in a general way what process path will be taken to write it down, you cannot follow the same process to "pattient zero", or to the documentary idea, or to my "We" idea, so to me it looks that we should be placing 2 weeks to define that process on the gantt chartt (is at the deadlines 6 goals page) before the first poll to choose the storyline takes place,
  • Yes, let's all take advantage of the poll. Thanks for setting that up @B3Guy - I know how much time stuff like that takes.
  • Nah, I'm not rushing the process . . . I'm pushing for us to firm up an OFFICIAL PROCESS. There's a poll on it, if you haven't noticed. I'll close the poll this weekend, publish the results for y'all, and hopefully it will give some semblance of a consensus for an official process. Then I'll work up an official process based on the results, and we can poll on that, or even just do an "aye" and "nay". then we'll poll on dates for the various elements within that official process.

Its really not that big of a deal. The poll thing is just an experiment. it may or may not be a good way for us to come to consensus, but I figured it was worth a try. If it doesn't seem to be a good fit, I may just take the initiative and lay out some official roadmaps if there are no serious objections.
  • Unless someone has a script done already, there's no way that we'd get a quality script by the end of December (at least not with the writer having anything resembling a good holiday season).

The previously suggested timetable was to start voting on December 20th. My own writing is on pace for that, and there's no way I could get a decent treatment in a week from now.

Anyway, I don't mean to slow everyone down, so if somebody has something well-developed already, I'd be happy to vote for it instead of my own. I just want to make sure we get something classy. :)
  • I haven't commented on the wiki in the past couple days but I have been busy writing to and talking to writers hoping to engage them in this challenge. I assume others are doing the same. I think once more writers connect the loglines and potential stories will come rolling in. To have a completed script by the end of December isn't very realistic... December is not the most productive month to get anything done.
  • Maybe take a vote on the script: all scriptors to submit a 1 page treatment for the story by next week? Of course its easier to communicate the basic elements here and attracting other or new interest. Your much more out on the streets here pitching interest; the wiki is the register of personnel and very much the HQ/resource centre. :-)
  • Please, by all means, discuss this on the wiki's general discussion page. I'm just trying to rope a few more in from here ;)
  • @sanzadez glad you are participating, please post up your story idea to http://www.personal-view.com/our_movies/movie_01:01general:05_storylines

We have a general discussion page on the wiki, and most everything involving this project is happening there. Please go on there and scope it out a bit more. I've made a request for opinions on script development process, but the wiki has been fairly quiet lately.

If we don't get a decent consensus by this weekend on how we should develop a script I'm going to just lay out a plan, and we can decide on deadline dates. I say this because we need to get going to the next step (whatever that may be) before too long.

Concerning a "final script date", that's getting ahead of everything. We don't know who (one person or multiple even) is going to write the script, and we sure as heck don't want to short ourselves on time. One split I've been noticing in the script concepts is that some involve narrative and plot, whereas others are just ideas for a "unifying concept". We're going to hit a point where we go one direction or the other. This may be a can of worms I'm opening, but I think we should start discussing this now, so everyone has time to think about it. A narrative plot-driven script is clearly going to require more time than we have between now and the ned of December, whereas a simple unifying theme could almost do without all the complex stages of brainstorming and just go to a simple vote.

I'm not super comfortable posting all this here, but the wiki seems to have gone awful quiet.
  • This has turned...ambitious. ;)

Suggestion: in the interim between the collaboration being discussed in this thread, how about we collectively do another hack showcase, but scaled way down like the first one?

One idea is we all could use an object to link the different clips together, something as simple as a red balloon for example. 5 second clips each. Thoughts?
  • Okay, Iv'e read through most of this thread, so I apologize in advance if anything I am about to say has been said.

As for story, I agree with B3guy about the person in an insane asylum. Think "Identity". If you haven't seen the movie you might not want to read further. Spoiler alert! You have one central character who has split personalities. Each character in the the different videos is a personality of the main character. We can have each group's film represent a different portion of his life, from childhood through adulthood.

I also agree that we should have a deadline, and I believe Christmas would be a good dead line for a finished script. I think we should allow users to collaborate into groups and create their own script. have set number of groups, then at the end, we have everyone who is involved vote on which script we would like to pursue. Each script should have at least 15-20 different parts so that we can have 15-20 different groups work together to create the final film. Based on how many there are, that will determine the time limit for each section.

If there are any other personal-view members in Orange County, Ca, I would be more than happy to meet up and work together. For that matter, I would be happy to work with anyone in So Cal, though the closer the better :p. So anyone in the area feel free to PM me, would be great to get to know other personal-view members in the area.

If there is anything else I can help with, I am willing to try my best. I should be free starting the new year, and since the script deadline is Christmas, should be no problem.

Lets keep this up everyone.

EDIT:
    Assets
    *Footage
    *Crew, can get a couple other members
    *Live in Orange county, Ca USA.
    -Beach and City environment
    -Can work with anyone in So Cal
    -Visit Las Vegas often, so can film in the desert or the strip
  • @B3Guy

>Keep pushing through, and please if you're at all on the fence, just get your hands dirty and cram out some script ideas. If we get the right kind of script together, everyone will be so excited about it that I highly suspect it will practically shoot itself.

Amen brother!

• @soundgh2 That would be great. :) I don't have much experience with 5.1 work at this point (audio only work for the most part, so strictly 2-channel for the majority) so having access to that sort of experience would be a real boon.

Planning ahead, do they tend to prefer the music in mono stems, stereo stems or pre-mixed 5.1 stems?
  • It looks quite like the South of England where i live :)
  • @soundgh2 sounds good, anyone else for the South East of England?
  • Can provide access to one of our 5.1 suites in London with feature film experienced chaps if needed - was a feature music editor in previous life if you need any help doing that. Im mixing till March so sadly couldn't offer too much time meself, but have others who'd enjoy this. Could rustle up some location guys too (aimed at Driftwood as he's closest!) Mrs owns a Central London post production facility and graphics company and know the grader and editors there v well (Avid FCP EQ IQ etc)
  • Hmm.. Just been away a couple of days.
    Progressing nicely, it seems! Good work so far!

@B3Guy +1

I have a lot of work to do up until maybe thursday - I'll get more vocal again then. :) I got some ideas from Davhars tagline about Cameramen everywhere. Got to think about it some more before suggesting something!
  • I second everything @B3Guy just said. :)

Still very much behind this, just slightly quieter the last day while I try to get more work done.
  • I just want to say to all involved, don't give up on this. Sometimes it can seem like it might end up as a really disjointed pile of mush, but I'd like to speak to the contrary.

First, we are all using the same camera, same hack, and the GH2 undisputedly has an unmistakable, pronounced, unique aesthetic, especially with certain patches. I highly suspect that our footage will actually look more similar than different.

Second, if it is colored by the same person, and edited by one individual, it will have both unifying flavor AND a unifying "pace" or rhythm to the cuts and scenes.

Third, a good musical theme will work WONDERS.

And finally, if the story sucks people in, and holds the audience in suspense, they won't notice the small stuff. That's what really matters. If we get a story that can keep folks on the edge of their seats, glued to the screen for the duration, the story will tie this thing together. That is why I've been pushing so hard for us to really focus on an excellent story with some good narrative structure, and why I suggested we try this in the first place. We're all good at shooting grandma making pancakes, or vignettes on "the emotion of love", but a real story can be difficult.

Keep pushing through, and please if you're at all on the fence, just get your hands dirty and cram out some script ideas. If we get the right kind of script together, everyone will be so excited about it that I highly suspect it will practically shoot itself.

Peace- B3Guy
  • @B3Guy @lolo

I've continued your discussion on deadlines on the wiki open discussion page: http://www.personal-view.com/our_movies/movie_01:01general:00_open_discussion

By the way, thanks a lot for all the effort and talent you're putting into this.
  • @B3guy i have just added some info on your pages and move it to other hierarchy, please refer to the main-page to be linked :) thank you for the improvement!
  • we could use another site for polling. not ideal, but the interface would maybe be better anyhow. Thanks @lolo you're doing a lot of the grunt work on this. I'm attempting to get a clearer roadmap for the script idea development/selection stage, with more checkpoints and goals laid out along the way (to help us get to something that we're all happy with, in a timely manner, easily by following some simple processes). I've added an "open discussion" page, I hope that's okay. Please, please please let me know if you're cool with the approaches I've proposed there. If everyone's down with this course of action, we should set some due dates and poll dates for a couple different stages. This should keep us on track.
  • @all, if anyone has time, please look in here http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin for a plug in compatible with the last version of dokuwiki, we need a plug in for a poll, and one for a calendar, the ones that i looked for and that were installed by Vitaliy are not compatible i´m afraid
  • @andres the page of workflow you were using was an old one, before the hierarchy changes, this one is the official
    http://www.personal-view.com/our_movies/movie_01:01general:03_workflow

if you added any info for the page pv01-workflow that you restored, please move it to the link provided and delete the page (you delete a page by saving it blank)

edit: just review the change you did, i have updated the official page i´ll remove the restored page you created as it was using the wrong hierarchy (thats why it was deleted)
  • each time I click a link on the wiki i see this message:
    "This topic does not exist yet

You've followed a link to a topic that doesn't exist yet. If permissions allow, you may create it by using the Create this page button."

then I click old revisions and i see link that work
    is it a bug or is it just me.
  • Excellent wiki setup. Well done all and thanks Vitaliy. Ive added a few bits for my side.